Cheap or not: spears, shield pokers, and stun lockers? Discuss.

#21Bowdownbe4me1(Topic Creator)Posted 1/5/2013 3:06:40 PM
TheTrillTexan posted...
Bowdownbe4me1 posted...
TheTrillTexan posted...
Ive noticed a lot of his posts seem to focus on insinuating that other people are bad and dont say much else.

Wait, me? I hope I'm not insinuating anyone is bad! :'(

No not at all, I figured it would be obvious who I meant. The few times Ive seen him post in a discussion as oppossed to a help thread he basically insinuates someone is bad in a snide manner and then leaves.

I may be mistaken but I only have personal experience to go off of.

Ah, my mistake. :-)

And so far it seems that I'm in the minority. My DkS friends that I usually voice chat have always agreed with me on this point, and I falsely assumed they were a fair representation of the community. Well damn. Maybe I'll dust off my spear again (especially as a counter to other spear users). -Though in all honesty I don't think I can bring myself to do that. Maybe I'll give it a try tonight at the fight club (...maybe).
---
GT: Bowdownbe4me
#22TheTrillTexanPosted 1/5/2013 3:14:31 PM
Bowdownbe4me1 posted...
TheTrillTexan posted...
Bowdownbe4me1 posted...
TheTrillTexan posted...
Ive noticed a lot of his posts seem to focus on insinuating that other people are bad and dont say much else.

Wait, me? I hope I'm not insinuating anyone is bad! :'(

No not at all, I figured it would be obvious who I meant. The few times Ive seen him post in a discussion as oppossed to a help thread he basically insinuates someone is bad in a snide manner and then leaves.

I may be mistaken but I only have personal experience to go off of.

Ah, my mistake. :-)

And so far it seems that I'm in the minority. My DkS friends that I usually voice chat have always agreed with me on this point, and I falsely assumed they were a fair representation of the community. Well damn. Maybe I'll dust off my spear again (especially as a counter to other spear users). -Though in all honesty I don't think I can bring myself to do that. Maybe I'll give it a try tonight at the fight club (...maybe).

I want a video of you "dusting off your spear"
---
GT:The Trill Texan
Try jumping.
#23deadpool223Posted 1/5/2013 3:17:23 PM
i figured the point of this game is that its super hard, if someone cant figure how to get around a spear then they are getting killed by an enemy they cant figure out how to beat. nothing wrong with that, they grow and learn how to get around a spear. they get stronger and beat you some other way, you grow and adapt to there tactics. evolution baby

also im a darkwraith so i dont really care if i make my enemy mad. thats the point.
---
honk HONK honk HONK http://i.imgur.com/NztEG.gif. :33 < fus ro paw,
#24giantsirslayerPosted 1/5/2013 3:45:14 PM
But I do want say that rolling all over the place playing tic tac I think that has no skill in it ...what is skill is timing that it the true deff of skill ...rolling Dodgeing we can all do it we can all bleed ppl shot arrow use cmw but it all has to do with timing if I stun lock or bleed you I had better timing ...if coming into attack you u wotg me timing ....that is where the skill is hiding behind a shield is just goofy ho play somewhere else lol ....also it goes for Pyro the timing ...
---
Old man still playing, loving every minute of it. Xbl gt giantsir slayer....they call me Mr. Stun lock...
#25FutureShockUKPosted 1/5/2013 6:17:56 PM
Bowdownbe4me1 posted...
FutureShockUK posted...
I don't feel Spears are cheap, but then again, I main them in PvP. I feel that the trade off is fair, they don't do that much damage in exchange for range and decent speed, plus they are counterable, as I found earlier on.

I don't shield poke though, as it takes too much stamina. Well that, and I don't use a shield! Flipping around in Light gear and counter poking is more my style!

That's exactly how I played. Grass crest on my back for stamina, but rarely shielding and always maintaining distance. Frankly, playing like that now just makes me feel dirty. And playing against someone who does that to me makes me feel the same (no offense intended).

By the way, not to give out tips to the competition (:-P) but I found out halfway through my spear using days that 1handing actually gives you more range than 2handing. I generally preferred to 2hand, but I did find that extra range useful when I needed it.

I use a +14 Pike, so them being out of range usually means that there's no point in bothering :p

A good tip for the Pike specifically is the back dodge/running attack is great for getting people off guard, as it's a running charge that can hit up to 4 times. Just don't expect to get them again.

I kept doing it in Sen's a while back (Made a thread IIRC), was hilarious the amount of hate I'd get for bum rushing people off platforms etc.
---
The Leader of the Selfish Generation & Pope of the Church of Royal Shotelness.
GT:Future Shock UK PSN:FutureShockUK
#26St0ve1Posted 1/5/2013 6:29:51 PM
Spears are easy to perry, i dont see what the big deal, dont do alot of pvp but when i fight a spear user, i just parry
#27RPGNinja123Posted 1/5/2013 6:31:50 PM
You are only a good spear user when you consistently win against other spear users. Not when you are spearing and fighting against other weapon types.
---
Currently Playing: Dark Souls (just PvPing and Coop), XCOM Enemy Unknown
Games on Deck : Dragon Age 1, Deus Ex, , FO:NV
#28localizedfreedoPosted 1/5/2013 6:46:10 PM
Spears are the est weapon in the game, without a doubt, but they're not exactly cheap.

Boring, yes, but not really "cheap" per se.

The mindset of "cheap" is just loser-friendly, and I try to dismiss the notion entirely. It's not like everyone doesn't have access to the very same, so if you're not able to counter it and you choose not to use it, you have no right to complain.

And "you" isn't someone in specific. It's that universal "you", addressing any who read.
#29localizedfreedoPosted 1/5/2013 6:47:41 PM
And stunlock ing definitely isn't cheap, since you can just weapon swap and parry for great justice.

And shield poking is the furthest from cheap on your list, it's outright bad.
#30iphan4ticPosted 1/5/2013 8:47:54 PM
I wouldnt say these things are cheap. Stunlocking can be frustrating but I wouldnt say its cheap.
---
GT: LEGENDARY PLANK