Can Manus' magic attacks be blocked with a shield?

#1RitalinfiendPosted 2/2/2013 2:15:54 PM
Is there a shield that will block his magic attacks that can be used at 16 strength? I'm not so good at dodging those and sometimes my timing is off with the pendant.
---
Candy: Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
#2thefuzzyfatbunnPosted 2/2/2013 2:18:36 PM
Crest shield has 80 percent magic reduction.
#3Ritalinfiend(Topic Creator)Posted 2/2/2013 2:20:58 PM
Huh, maybe I'll try that. Is that the highest magic resist shield that can be used at 16 Strength?
---
#4thefuzzyfatbunnPosted 2/2/2013 2:24:48 PM
Yup
#5ZamussPosted 2/2/2013 2:27:31 PM
I really doubt you can block them or at least not the rain or the one where they sorround you,, you might be able to block the frontal dark magic spam but I'm sure it will break your guard before you can block them all.

As for shield the one with the highest magic resistance is the crystal ring shield, followed by the crest shield and if you can use magic magic shield magic grants a massive amount of resistance for a very short period of time, I have been able to block lake ass hydra watter attacks with it.
---
Xboxlive GT: xZamusx
#6Chrome_AdaPosted 2/2/2013 2:28:15 PM
I'm pretty sure the Ring Shield is better against magic (but pretty weak against physical, and Manus' physical attacks are more dangerous than his magic, imo). The problem is that dark magic breaks your guard so well. The best thing you can use is the silver pendant. It is pretty easy to find (though you have to have a light source, ie. maggot, lantern, or spell). You use the SP like any other item but it is infinitely reusable and it deflects all dark magic. If you're having trouble with his magic attacks, this will be essential.
---
Repugnant is the creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here.--TOOL, "Right in Two"
#7thefuzzyfatbunnPosted 2/2/2013 2:33:48 PM
I'd still go with crest shield since you only need to block the 360 dark bead blast the rest are easily avoided.
#8Ritalinfiend(Topic Creator)Posted 2/2/2013 2:48:51 PM
thefuzzyfatbunn posted...
I'd still go with crest shield since you only need to block the 360 dark bead blast the rest are easily avoided.

Yes. The bead one is the one I have the problem with.
---
#9Chrome_AdaPosted 2/2/2013 4:19:38 PM
With the silver pendant, you will take no damage with no risk of guard break or pushback. Plus you can carry a shield with better stability to stand a better chance against his wild combos.
---
Repugnant is the creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here.--TOOL, "Right in Two"
#10MrNukealizerPosted 2/2/2013 4:36:17 PM
I personally found the Eagle Shield to be good. Sure, its magic reduction isn't so amazing, but Manus's magic is about half physical anyway.

As for that "collapsing ring" spell, there are two ways to deal with it:
1. Release your lock, turn around and block.
2. Get right next to him and they will disappear.
---
GT: Mr Nukealizer00
Official Havel's Greatshield of the Dark Souls Board