Dark Bead

#1TheShadyPersonPosted 2/4/2013 6:18:49 PM
I'm fed up guys. I'm tired of fighting people with Dex/Int builds that spam Dark Bead on my tank build.

Any tips on how to evade Dark Bead? Also, what are your opinions on the Abyss magics as a whole?
---
The black wind begins to blow...
Okay...give me your best shot...If you're prepared for the void!
#2AngryOldFeralPosted 2/4/2013 6:51:24 PM
Just roll. I mean, I know that sound condescending but seriously, it's not impossible to dodge. If you're within the range that they're trying to "shotgun" you in the face for an instant KO, use that to their disadvantage. While they're casting you could try to roll-BS them or hell, if you've got a tank build try to stunlock.

But if all else fails, roll. Get your equipment loadout to at least allow a mid-roll and you'll have an easier time.

Abyss Magic annoys the crap out of me as well, as does all magic since I've recently gone from the typical "fast-roll, Dex weapons, high-mobility killer" build to a fat, poise-stacked dual-wield build (GS main, UGS off-hand) that destroys at melee, but is highly vulnerable to someone magenuking me.

Dark Bead is in the same category as say, WoTG or Great Combustion was back in the earlier days of the game. Essentially they're up-close, high-damage spells that people will use as a "suckerpunch" when you're in their face, or a panic button to get you off of them. The key difference is that while Dark Bead has a much higher damage output, it also takes slightly longer to cast than a Great Combustion or WoTG. When you see them waving that catalyst around, that's your cue to dodge.
---
Smoking Ghost / Feral Manx
Proud Outcast of Capcom Unity
#3MrNukealizerPosted 2/4/2013 6:53:12 PM
If you're a tank build, just block them. They're not that bad, since they are part physical part magic, but watch your stamina if you're right next to the caster.

As for actually dodging them, there is no real way except rolling through them. You're going to have a hard time if you're at mid-roll or slower. Basically treat Dark Bead like Wrath of the Gods as far as rolling.
---
GT: Mr Nukealizer00
Official Havel's Greatshield of the Dark Souls Board
#4CStickPosted 2/4/2013 8:23:53 PM
Great Magic Barrier. That plus upgraded anything and a big shield will lol at the magic.

Also just camp away with Silver Pendant. If they are gonna spam it, just deflect it until they either BSC out like wusses or try and actually fight you.
---
I like you Cstick. You got balls. I like balls.~Chesterr01
Southern VA smasher and Official Lifehunt Scythe of Dark Souls
#5CentipedeDemonPosted 2/4/2013 9:00:32 PM
Roll for your life. That's the only way.
---
GT: Centipede Demon
Zweihander master race
#6AngryOldFeralPosted 2/4/2013 10:33:57 PM
CStick posted...
Great Magic Barrier. That plus upgraded anything and a big shield will lol at the magic.

Also just camp away with Silver Pendant. If they are gonna spam it, just deflect it until they either BSC out like wusses or try and actually fight you.

I always forget that I have that Silver Pendant.
---
#7SwimmingToasterPosted 2/4/2013 10:39:18 PM
I use GMB, but there's not a whole lot else you could do besides that. Kinda sucks about how crazy powerful pure mages are with dark magic and stuff like the Moonlight Greatsword and/or Moonlight Butterfly horn.
---
GT: PowderdToastMan
http://bf3stats.com/stats_360/PowderdToastMan
#8CasylePosted 2/4/2013 11:30:43 PM(edited)
Dark Bead is the reason I decided to drop the heavy armor for the best medium armor I can wear and flip in.

Mis-time your roll against WotG's and you lose 300'ish life, big whoop. Mis-time that roll against Dark Bead and suddenly you're missing 3/4ths of your life or you're dead.

And God help you if you dodge several Dark Beads to roll attack and accidentally run out of stamina as they start casting! Bye bye! *Laughs*

I'm kinda surprised I don't run to more Dark Magic users usin' Power Within'. Make a single mistake, just one, and it's game over.
---
Gamertag - Casyle
#9AngryOldFeralPosted 2/4/2013 11:45:16 PM
Casyle posted...
Dark Bead is the reason I decided to drop the heavy armor for the best medium armor I can wear and flip in.

Mis-time your roll against WotG's and you lose 300'ish life, big whoop. Mis-time that roll against Dark Bead and suddenly you're missing 3/4ths of your life or you're dead.

And God help you if you dodge several Dark Beads to roll attack and accidentally run out of stamina as they start casting! Bye bye! *Laughs*

I'm kinda surprised I don't run to more Dark Magic users usin' Power Within'. Make a single mistake, just one, and it's game over.

You just gave me an idea for a build. Glass Cannon! :D
https://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=426258467107582297
---
#10moodyjm2Posted 2/5/2013 4:48:03 AM
Even mid-roll has i-frames. Just roll to the side each time and hopefully they don't keep spamming it.
---
GT: DragonSoundxSG
Official Moonlight Greatsword of the Dark Souls Board