Murder Me For Science 2: Dying For ?PN? Armor Research

#1AngryOldFeralPosted 2/7/2013 11:50:13 AM(edited)
So, did some more research. My accomplice dropped off the wrong armor (was going to experiment on ?PN? Iron Golem, got full ?PN? Havel's instead) and some crazy weapon. A "?WeaponName?" Crystal Greatsword with obscene physical damage stats and scaling. Also, he gave me an obscene amount of Elizabeth Mushrooms so I could get my ass kicked for longer and gain better research as my murderers would inevitably switch tactics. (I'm keeping some of these damn things for PvE. They're awesome. :D)

I then lumbered my way to the forest on a mission to get my ass kicked repeatedly for the greater good by spamming Darkmoon invasions and throwing myself into the fray of gankers. Used the full set as a "control" group, since I figured if there's a tactic or weapon/spell good to utilize to kill some douche in the full set, the same would be just as effective if not more against someone just wearing the gauntlets/leggings (which is what you normally see: some guy wearing one of the pieces with regular gear and trying to pass themselves off as a legit duelist) ...

Anyhow, the stats on the full ?PN? Have's Set with 99 Humanity:
(Character's stats are found here for reference: http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=295728418331965141)

Physical Defense: 743(172)*
vs. Strike: 657
vs. Slash: 828
vs. Thrust: 743

Magical Defense: 517(174)
vs. Flame: 509(171)**
vs. Lightning: 474(173)

Bleed Resistance: 273
Curse Resistance: 229

*Without 99 Humanity, Physical defense is about 717(146).
**This might be inaccurate. I had been drinking when writing this down, so that 509 may actually be 569. I'll check again and confirm when I get off work.

Once I'm off work, I'll also break up the set and record each piece's stats individually before cracking open a few Old Rasputins. :P

So far, what I've seen... nearly every stat goes up but the durability and poise remain constant (thank ****ing god) and identical to their non-hacked counterparts. But all defenses become astronomical... surpassing the boundaries of the game by a landslide.

Here's some things I've noticed:
(All testing done on SL134 with 99 Humanity, 35 Vitality & RoF&P for 1459HP)
- Because of the whole "part magic, part physical" aspects of some Dark Magic, stuff like Pursuers are laughably ineffective.

- Backstabs/Ripostes are still extremely effective, but you'll still want to buff the weapon or use Hornet Ring to get the most out of them. Even though it'll take a huge chunk out of my lifebar, it's not the instant-kill people are used to even with Hornet Ring.

- Crystal Magic Weapon buff on Balder Sidesword was also highly ineffective.

- That White Crystal Dragon-breath spell is also ineffective... mainly due to the fact that even when fat-rolling around everywhere and moving like a glacier, I could easily sidestep its bad tracking.

- What was surprisingly effective (thanks goes to J8Shammgod for testing this) was MLGS. However, this was on a min/max'd SL100ish mage build with like, 30 faith and 45 Int (correct me if I'm wrong here). Regardless, the straight-up magic damage seemed to be pretty damaging and would remove about 1/5th to 1/4th of my healthbar with each successful hit. I'm not sure why, considering my magic defense was insane, but it probably had something to do with the fact there's no split-damage to contend with... so that magic damage was consistent, and the AR wasn't having to go through the armor's obscene physical defenses.
---
Smoking Ghost / Feral Manx
Proud Outcast of Capcom Unity
#2AngryOldFeral(Topic Creator)Posted 2/7/2013 12:06:47 PM
Beware the Crystal Greatsword

This ?WeaponName? crap is ridiculous. It's basically a Crystal Greatsword that's been hacked to +15. Its scaling stays at C for both STR/DEX, but for whatever reason the scaling is also pretty generous. All physical damage... base attack of like 475 + more than 300ish scaling damage. Keep in mind, though this was tested on a Strength/Faith build... if someone was rocking a high-end Strength/Dex build the results would be devastating.

It cannot be repaired, but whatever mod jackassery brought it into existence has also given it 999 durability. Also, I believe you can use buffs on it. :O

For the sake of science, and to be a dick, I tested this out on various gankers because they're sad pieces of **** anyway, and deserve whatever misfortune befalls them. :)

2Hing the weapon, hitting an armored foe would do about 500-700+ damage. Backstabbing with it outclassed a Chaos Bandit Knife +5 on this build, as the weapon would do about 1000-1200 normally. With the Hornet Ring equipped, a 2H backstab does 1900+ damage.

...so, yeah: You see someone with a Crystal Greatsword, be on-guard since there's hacked versions of it that are unbelievably powerful.
---
#3HoustonBoy98Posted 2/7/2013 12:14:17 PM
I could have told you any of this and saved you the time...

I have every protector armor set that exists...
---
Official Gold Tracer of the Dark Souls Board. Find someone. Rushdown Move on.
XBL - Stillnacht
#4AngryOldFeral(Topic Creator)Posted 2/7/2013 12:16:05 PM
HoustonBoy98 posted...
I could have told you any of this and saved you the time...

I have every protector armor set that exists...

I'm basically trying to get all the information out publicly. There's still a lot of folks that don't know about people exploiting it, and having a better understanding of the stats could possibly help people out with dealing with people wearing it.
---
#5LoneReaper115Posted 2/7/2013 12:17:54 PM
And that's not even on a quality build and you're seeing damage like that!
---
GT: LoneReaper115
Official Chaos Composite Bow of the Dark Souls message board
#6AngryOldFeral(Topic Creator)Posted 2/7/2013 12:23:53 PM(edited)
LoneReaper115 posted...

Yeah... the character I'm testing with is a Strength/Faith build meant to use Divine/Occult weapons or a Claymore +15 with DMB+3 buffs. I've got **** for Dexterity.

EDIT: Also, these attacks were not buffed with DMB+3. That's just regular cleaving away/backstabbing with the sword two-handed.
---
#7J28ShammgodPosted 2/7/2013 12:25:26 PM
My exact build:

https://m.mugenmonkey.com/?c=250177210639873675
---
Mission: The destruction of any and all Chinese Communists.
#8AngryOldFeral(Topic Creator)Posted 2/7/2013 12:26:14 PM
J28Shammgod posted...
My exact build:

Oh, cool. Thanks for helping me out last night btw.
---
#9LoneReaper115Posted 2/7/2013 12:28:31 PM
AngryOldFeral posted...
LoneReaper115 posted...

Yeah... the character I'm testing with is a Strength/Faith build meant to use Divine/Occult weapons or a Claymore +15 with DMB+3 buffs. I've got **** for Dexterity.

EDIT: Also, these attacks were not buffed with DMB+3. That's just regular cleaving away/backstabbing with the sword two-handed.

I've got a strength/ dex build that can use sunlight blade. I'd be willing to contribute to research later, maybe the sword vs the havel's.
---
GT: LoneReaper115
Official Chaos Composite Bow of the Dark Souls message board
#10J28ShammgodPosted 2/7/2013 12:30:58 PM
AngryOldFeral posted...
J28Shammgod posted...
My exact build:

Oh, cool. Thanks for helping me out last night btw.

No problem. I was like "who is this giant trying to steal my humanity while popping mushrooms?" Lol
---
Mission: The destruction of any and all Chinese Communists.