I just dont understand people...

#1Necro_Fear89Posted 2/9/2013 4:44:50 PM
Reading some comments on YouTube about Dark Souls 2, many people actually want an easy mode. Granted I don't actually expect them to include it but its really sad how some people just want to breeze through the game. Both Demon's and Dark Souls are not hard games, all they take is patience and a bit of understanding, with the infinite amount of information on the internet one can easy learn game mechanics and how to play.

I remember back when I first played Demon's Souls, I hated the game, because I didn't understand it. I hated it because it was "too hard" and extremely complicated, however I came here to GameFAQS and asked questions on the board, I read walkthroughs, and watched tips for beginners on YouTube. Guess what happened? I learned how to play, how to upgrade weapons, how to dodge and manage stamina, and soon after what had been a game I hated turned into one of my most favorite games of all time.

Why must everything be simplified? Why does everything have to be explained to some people? One learns better from experiencing, and applying effort to learn, I remember learning to ride a bike, I busted my ass so many time to learn 'til I finally did. I don't like rap music, some people do, but you don't see me telling Snoop Dogg to sing rock instead just to please me. We want innovation from developers and here we have it, so let's not ruin one of the only good series out there with simplification.

What do you guys think? I personally think some things could be helped if explained better, like covenants and such, but story and game mechanics are better left to be experienced by digging deep and taking the time to learn than being told outright.
---
"Soul of the Mind key to life's ether, Soul of the lost withdrawn from it's vessel, Let strength be granted so the world might be mended..."
#2ZamussPosted 2/9/2013 5:36:09 PM
Necro_Fear89 posted...
all they take is patience and a bit of understanding

And this is the main problem, it's something lacking no most gamers nowdays, they want to rush, they want to button smash and then they whine because they are getting killed

Necro_Fear89 posted...
What do you guys think? I personally think some things could be helped if explained better, like covenants and such, but story and game mechanics are better left to be experienced by digging deep and taking the time to learn than being told outright.

I remember watching my character roll very slowly, then saw that items had weight and I had a max weight limit, suddenly I realized there were weight caps that limited your movement, this is something that need no real explanation just some logic and I wouldn't mind if the next game didn't explained them.

Covenants on the other hand if they come back they could use some basic explaining, I remember the first few weeks where no one was sure how gravelord covenant really worked, we knew it spawned stronger enemies, we knew you had to invade the gravelord but that was pretty much it, we never knew the lvl caps, it was rumored that if you phantoms killed a player you would get half the souls he currently had, that's something I wouldn't mind having an explanation even it it was outside the game in their homepage or as leaked information.
---
Xboxlive GT: xZamusx
#3YellowcanPosted 2/9/2013 5:41:38 PM
They're not hard games just takes knowledge and patience like you said. For example before I even played Dark Souls I already knew where to go, area layouts, boss patterns etc. Over the years games have become more linear and straight forward. So many games have waypoints showing where to go. Why can't they just let people wonder around and find their own way instead of holding your hand through everything.
---
Oh, it's a French gun. What does it do, shoot white flags? - Sphericalisis
GT: I YellowCan I [] PSN: YellowCan
#4BaalbusterxboxPosted 2/9/2013 7:38:57 PM
Gaming used to be kind of a fringe market, that is no longer the case... That's both good and bad for gaming, good because its being taken more seriously, and investments are being made... Bad because its a bit of a cash cow now, much like cinema there will be good movies and bad movies, good originals (jaws) and cash cows (jaws 4)... But more importantly, many people are "getting into" gaming, but they don't want challenge... Much for the same reason fast and furious became a successful franchise, or any of those stupid saw movies.... Dark souls and demon souls are great games, they're not for everyone, but that's just how it is... Good art takes a bit of work... And most people don't want to put the time in.... That's why there is cod or skyrim... They're easy...anyone asking for an easy mode shouldn't bother playing the game... It's clearly not for them... But when a game garners critical attention, it gets their attention as well... And they can't fathom why it isn't immediately accessible to them and they get frustrated that they can't "get it".... Blade runner was a flop when it came out.... Some people need a lot of time to catch up.
---
War pick + leo
#5Krauser86Posted 2/9/2013 7:47:47 PM(edited)
Yellowcan posted...
They're not hard games just takes knowledge and patience like you said.

They are difficult games. And like every single difficult game in existence, they become much easier with knowledge and patience.

Using the TC's example; riding a bike when you first begin is difficult, but over time it becomes as easy as walking. The same can be said about games.

A lot of people seem to be mistaking what 'hard' actually means in games. Even some of the toughest games in the world can be made to look naturally easy by people that have practice at them. Like the Ninja Gaiden or Devil May Cry no-hurt runs on the highest difficulties.

At this point, I don't even care about Dark Souls 2. I've hyped WAY too many recent games up and been sorely disappointed by the shoddy quality of a lot of them. If it's good then I'll play it as much as Dark Souls 1, but if it's bad then I'll finish it and sell it.
---
Bloody screen... so REAL!
Poppy Bros. Junior! Poppy Bros. Senior!
#6TheDarkone21Posted 2/9/2013 7:46:16 PM
but you don't see me telling Snoop Dogg to sing rock instead just to please me

I believe he goes by the name Snoop Lion now, and totally does Reggae.
---
Official Chaos Notched Whip of the Dark Souls 360 board.
GT: IwuzPh34rless
#7ZamussPosted 2/9/2013 7:56:09 PM
Krauser86 posted...
A lot of people seem to be mistaking what 'hard' actually means in games. Even some of the toughest games in the world can be made to look naturally easy by people that have practice at them. Like the Ninja Gaiden or Devil May Cry no-hurt runs on the highest difficulties.

While this is true DkS is not a hard game, most of us can easily do a Sl1 run however the skill and reflexes needed to do a NG no-hurt run is not even close to those needed for DkS, that why I just laugh everytime some one refers to DkS as the "hardest game ever"
---
Xboxlive GT: xZamusx
#8Krauser86Posted 2/9/2013 8:14:12 PM
Zamuss posted...
most of us can easily do a Sl1 run

I think that's the point though. Most of the guys saying that here have completed Dark Souls a ton of times, and PvPed a lot.

The guys who run DMC or NG on the highest difficulties and run through them without any trouble probably call those games easy, just like the guys who run fighting games like Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat and pull off ridiculous combos and regularly pull out Perfect / Flawless victory probably call those games easy.

People set the benchmark for 'hard' way too high. To the point where if you aren't dying literally hundreds of times the game is too easy. It's just a bit silly is all.
---
Bloody screen... so REAL!
Poppy Bros. Junior! Poppy Bros. Senior!
#9New-Dusk117Posted 2/9/2013 9:08:25 PM
I've had this game for a long time, but hadn't had access to online play until like a week ago. So now, ever time I get invaded and don't have a white phantom with me, I get owned. I have no problems with this simply because I know that they have more experience with pvp than me (and also a habit of using cheap **s HCSM tactics against my no magic whatsoever melee build, but that's kinda off topic). The PvE really isn't very difficult for me any more, but I know that if I get lazy about it I will get a silver knight sword through the chest. That's what I like about this game, It's hard when you start to think it's easy. Some people like to be able to run through and crush everything, but it takes a certain kind of bad*** gamer to like a good challenge.
#10PlagueRevenantPosted 2/9/2013 9:10:42 PM
Gaming used to be a fun, stress-relieving way to pass one's free time. Back then, it wasn't taken so seriously, and while "well-made/AAA" games were far from the norm, the vast majority of them were, at least, unique, artistic, and fun in their own right. Atop that, they were challenging, but to an enjoyable extent. Now, with the hobby's fast-rising popularity and easily-accessible online play, many look at gaming as a way to boost their self-confidence while hiding behind the blissful anonymity that the internet provides. John Smith may be a 600lb Walmart greeter in real life, but on the internet, he's XxXMLGN05c0p3zPROXxX and has a new, somewhat delusional idea of self-worth due to his Youtube channel with five-hundred followers, all of whom think he's a "no-scope master."

These are the type of people who are causing decay throughout the gaming community: people who need to feel that they're the best, and who absolutely cannot tolerate that which lowers their self esteem (these days, pretty much any game that requires patience...or even thought...). People who utilize video games to boost their real-life self-image, rather than playing because just playing in itself is something that they actually enjoy doing. Now, I'm not at all saying it's bad to enjoy winning or even taking your favorite hobby to the "next level" via Youtube, streams, etc. But when such a large portion of the gaming community would rather (and I quote from a friend who plays this way) "own everything and feel like a super badass," than play anything that resembles that video games actually used to be, you can't help but wonder where the priorities have gone for both gamers, and the companies that develop games.

Do people play for fun, or do they play because they NEED to win at something?
---
The worst part of gaming is gamers.
Official Obsidian Greatsword of the Dark Souls board