Weapon Help

#11Dreth09(Topic Creator)Posted 2/20/2013 6:38:42 PM
RPGNinja123 posted...
AngryOldFeral posted...
RPGNinja123 posted...
Dreth09 posted...
Is the greatlord greatsword any good? it looks like it has crap scaling, but still intriguing
And what about an elemental washing pole or murakumo as opposed to +15, cuz my stats dont compliment them well?
also, i noticed the large club has an A str scaling...

Its good for stunlocking but the damage is subpar

Its strong-attacks are also a bit too drawn-out and easy to dodge. If you're wanting a good "smash the hell out of people" sword the Zweihander can deliver that pretty effectively. Its horizontal swings are marginally slower since it's an Ultra Greatsword but the wind-up on the overhand slash takes less time to pull off.

I have to agree it is just not very practical for me. I am partial the grant cuz it has a club moveset for the most part and the rolling attack is good, I only use it on a Leeroy build though.

define "Leeroy" Build
#12Dreth09(Topic Creator)Posted 2/20/2013 6:42:03 PM
RPGNinja123 posted...
AngryOldFeral posted...
RPGNinja123 posted...
Dreth09 posted...
Is the greatlord greatsword any good? it looks like it has crap scaling, but still intriguing
And what about an elemental washing pole or murakumo as opposed to +15, cuz my stats dont compliment them well?
also, i noticed the large club has an A str scaling...

Its good for stunlocking but the damage is subpar

Its strong-attacks are also a bit too drawn-out and easy to dodge. If you're wanting a good "smash the hell out of people" sword the Zweihander can deliver that pretty effectively. Its horizontal swings are marginally slower since it's an Ultra Greatsword but the wind-up on the overhand slash takes less time to pull off.

I have to agree it is just not very practical for me. I am partial the grant cuz it has a club moveset for the most part and the rolling attack is good, I only use it on a Leeroy build though.

what do you mean a leeroy build?
#13Dreth09(Topic Creator)Posted 2/20/2013 6:43:35 PM
didnt mean to post twice...
#14RPGNinja123Posted 2/20/2013 6:44:57 PM
Dreth09 posted...

Oh I just mean I only use the Grant when I want to roleplay as Paladin Leeroy since that is his main weapon, I won't go out of my way to use it as a serious PvP weapon. A better weapon in a similar moveset would be the Large Club. All weapons are fine for PvE though
---
Currently Playing: Dark Souls (just PvPing and Coop), XCOM Enemy Unknown
Games on Deck : Dragon Age 1, Deus Ex, , FO:NV
#15Dreth09(Topic Creator)Posted 2/20/2013 7:49:53 PM
RPGNinja123 posted...
Dreth09 posted...

Oh I just mean I only use the Grant when I want to roleplay as Paladin Leeroy since that is his main weapon, I won't go out of my way to use it as a serious PvP weapon. A better weapon in a similar moveset would be the Large Club. All weapons are fine for PvE though

so the extra scaling from fai isnt that big a deal?
#16Art Of DrowningPosted 2/20/2013 8:24:44 PM
Dreth09 posted...
so the extra scaling from fai isnt that big a deal?

Its not a big deal unless you want it to be. Outside of scaling, there are other things to consider. Such as the moveset, weight, requirements, auxillaries/damage types.
In this case, the Grant does split damage between physical and magic. If you're looking strictly at damage weapons such as the Zwei, MSGS, DGM, Large Club etc will produce similar results but have the added benefit of being purely physical at +15 as well as the option to buff it taking it past grant and everything like it.
---
"Can you see what I see?"
#17BaalbusterxboxPosted 2/21/2013 7:32:49 AM
1st thing I would do is switch the starting class to the cleric and use those extra two points to get 30 faith and have access to sunlight or DMB, that would be first, then grab a good str weapon like great, or large club and even the butchers knife to +15, I would also aim for 53 poise instead of 77, any weapon that needs that much poise to evade stunlock is easy enough to avoid anyways with 90% of the players... Plus you'll have an easier time getting a fast roll.

Also personally if switch out the great shield, or switch it to the tower shield and have karmic justice... But really great shields are kind of gimped, except for really good turtles (not overly aggressive) but that's about as boring a play style there is. That's my advice, also the havels armor with the hollow soldiers waste cloth is really really ugly... Personal preference but generally if I see a pants less player I view them with a bit of eye-rolling.
---
War pick + leo
#18Dreth09(Topic Creator)Posted 2/22/2013 3:22:15 PM
Baalbusterxbox posted...
1st thing I would do is switch the starting class to the cleric and use those extra two points to get 30 faith and have access to sunlight or DMB, that would be first, then grab a good str weapon like great, or large club and even the butchers knife to +15, I would also aim for 53 poise instead of 77, any weapon that needs that much poise to evade stunlock is easy enough to avoid anyways with 90% of the players... Plus you'll have an easier time getting a fast roll.

Also personally if switch out the great shield, or switch it to the tower shield and have karmic justice... But really great shields are kind of gimped, except for really good turtles (not overly aggressive) but that's about as boring a play style there is. That's my advice, also the havels armor with the hollow soldiers waste cloth is really really ugly... Personal preference but generally if I see a pants less player I view them with a bit of eye-rolling.

Thanks, really helpful advice. I was thinking of going up to 30 fai. Also, what about dragon tooth? All I know is it looks really cool, and it's enchantable.
Also, I can't parry for sh*t. Considering that, should I still switch my shield?
#19RPGNinja123Posted 2/22/2013 3:28:46 PM
Dreth09 posted...
Baalbusterxbox posted...

Thanks, really helpful advice. I was thinking of going up to 30 fai. Also, what about dragon tooth? All I know is it looks really cool, and it's enchantable.
Also, I can't parry for sh*t. Considering that, should I still switch my shield?

Dragon Tooth is nice but Large Club is better
---
Currently Playing: Dark Souls (just PvPing and Coop), XCOM Enemy Unknown
Games on Deck : Dragon Age 1, Deus Ex, , FO:NV
#20Dreth09(Topic Creator)Posted 2/23/2013 2:17:34 PM
RPGNinja123 posted...
Dreth09 posted...
Baalbusterxbox posted...

Dragon Tooth is nice but Large Club is better

Would demon's great axe be worth going up to 46 str?