Catalyst and magic adjustment explanation

#1S1l1e1e1pPosted 4/17/2013 2:42:04 PM
I've got an Int build in progress and just scored Big Hat's catalyst along with the TCC. I have my int at 45 currently (working up to 50max). I've been using this http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Magic+Adjustment to figure out what catalyst I should be using at any particular level to get the most out of my magics. However, once I had both the TCC and Big Hat's catalyst, I did a little comparison damage testing on the knights in Anor.

I started out with homing crystal soul mass. Big hats did 627. TCC did 597. (I'm trying to remember the exact numbers from yesterday, they may be off a little but the jest is there.) Then, I tried homing soul mass. The numbers were reversed. TCC did about 640 and big hat did 591. Then I tried soul arrows and big hat out performed the TCC every time.

I guess my question is, does the TCC produce more damage with non-crystal spells? Or am I missing something? I have searched high and low for a logical explanation of the magic adjustment mechanics of this game and I have come up empty. Any geniuses out there want to try to explain it to a noob!?
#2domesplitter13Posted 4/17/2013 2:47:27 PM
try it again. this can't be right. Cause if this whole time.....
---
gt: domesplitter13
#3LordranWalkerPosted 4/17/2013 2:50:55 PM
(Crystal) Homing Soul Mass is really the best thing to test damage with so I can understand why the results were messed up with that, but with a Soul spear it is very strange that Logan's is outdamaging TCC.
---
Official Battle Axe of the Dark Souls Xbox 360 Board.
#4S1l1e1e1p(Topic Creator)Posted 4/17/2013 2:52:25 PM
Tonight I'll sit down and note all the results with the different catalysis. I'm afraid that it isn't going to make any logical sense, though. Should I do it on the hollows in Firelink or will the knights in Anor suffice?
#5TheDarkone21Posted 4/17/2013 2:55:48 PM
domesplitter13 posted...
try it again. this can't be right. Cause if this whole time.....

O_O
EVERYTHING WE KNOW IS A LIE!

*queue the end of the world*
---
I'm on the phone!
#6S1l1e1e1p(Topic Creator)Posted 4/17/2013 6:32:03 PM
Ok. After a little more testing and actually writing down my numbers, it all looks like it should. Except for the crystal soul mass spells. My int is at 47 and the Logan catalyst is still out powering the TCC. Not sure why, but this game leaves me scratching my head a lot, so...

I guess the world isn't going to end. Sorry for the false alarm.
#7xCloudyxPosted 4/17/2013 7:33:45 PM
S1l1e1e1p posted...
Ok. After a little more testing and actually writing down my numbers, it all looks like it should. Except for the crystal soul mass spells. My int is at 47 and the Logan catalyst is still out powering the TCC. Not sure why, but this game leaves me scratching my head a lot, so...

I guess the world isn't going to end. Sorry for the false alarm.

Really? The Crystal Soulmass does that? I have to test this out on my INT build tomorrow. I will like to report a confirmation if you wouldn't mind.
---
(\ (O_O) /) Praise the sun!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0O1sH1N6n4
#8S1l1e1e1p(Topic Creator)Posted 4/18/2013 4:03:02 AM
I'll give you my numbers for the soul mass.

Logan's soul mass does 486 and crystal soul mass does 678.

TCC soul mass does 687 and crystal soul mass does 618.

Doesn't make sense to me. But maybe you guys can make heads or tails out of it.
#9LordranWalkerPosted 4/18/2013 12:43:42 PM
S1l1e1e1p posted...
I'll give you my numbers for the soul mass.

Logan's soul mass does 486 and crystal soul mass does 678.

TCC soul mass does 687 and crystal soul mass does 618.

Doesn't make sense to me. But maybe you guys can make heads or tails out of it.

I think I might know why this is happening:
You have 5 Crystal Soul Masses above your head and even if they all should hit an enemy, once the enemy has died they will take no further damage so if all five appear to hit an enemy, it might be that they died after 3, so the damage from the other two didn't appear. This may have happened with your experiment. I don't know what enemy you were against, but lets say 4 masses hit from Logan's, meaning each one did about 170 dmg. Let's also say that 3 masses hit rom TCC, meaning that each one did about 200. I just pulled the amount of soul masses hitting out of the air, but this explanation makes sense. What enemy were you testing on and were you on NG or any of the +s?
---
Official Battle Axe of the Dark Souls Xbox 360 Board.