anyone confirm this please.

#11RagingBicyclePosted 1/24/2014 10:32:05 AM
I would think that splitting up regions would be pretty silly, especially if they didn't have dedicated servers in each region.
Why split Australia up from America if the server we hook up to isnt in aus, I hope that there is a server in aus however but still the ability to play with others.

Also if region is like in any other games its usually north America then the rest, aus and asia (oceanic), then the other Asian countries
---
XBL GT: Raging Bicycle
#12giantsirslayer(Topic Creator)Posted 1/24/2014 10:53:21 AM
RagingBicycle posted...
I would think that splitting up regions would be pretty silly, especially if they didn't have dedicated servers in each region.
Why split Australia up from America if the server we hook up to isnt in aus, I hope that there is a server in aus however but still the ability to play with others.

Also if region is like in any other games its usually north America then the rest, aus and asia (oceanic), then the other Asian countries

I know in some games you can change it i hope the servers are not region specific that's what im worried about.
---
Official greatsword user of gamefaqs board
Xbox gt giantsir slayer
#13Krauser86Posted 1/24/2014 10:58:34 AM
They're not gonna pull a Demon's Souls again. I imagine there will be settings, much like something in Call of Duty or Gears of War 3.

You will either flat out have the option to set your maximum range in other words stuff like Local, Wide or No filter. OR the game will begin by searching for players in the region closest to you and then branching out if it doesn't find anyone. Gears 3 was server based, as well.

It would be a really stupid move to have a forced filter on with no settings on the filter strength.
---
Bloody screen... so REAL!
Poppy Bros. Junior! Poppy Bros. Senior!
#14relaxed_zelkovaPosted 1/24/2014 1:46:34 PM
a lot of multiplayer games group north america, western Europe, and Australia (or at least part of it) into one region
#15HariiMakenjiPosted 1/24/2014 2:45:11 PM
ZOMBIEHEADZoCOM posted...
Actually serious. I have no idea what you guys mean. I figured if its called "regions" then the USA will be split up too cause otherwise they would call it "countries".

A lot of people have already said it in posts not directed at you, but it's because region is more accurate. While the US sometimes gets it's own region by itself, Europe is usually a region (which you'll notice is not a single country) East Asia, Australlia and Oceanic Asia, ect.

Country would not even sort of be accurate.
---
GT: HariiMakenji
#16domesplitter13Posted 1/24/2014 2:48:37 PM
Ya, sometimes I forget there are other countries besides THE U S to the mf'n A. Blows my mind.
---
XBL and PSN: domesplitter13
#17HariiMakenjiPosted 1/24/2014 3:21:17 PM
I forgot I answer the actual question. :P

1. It would seem to be a step backwards to go to dedicated servers. Demon's had them, Dark souls didn't. One can infer that From felt that dedicated servers were not optimal.

2. From has really put emphasis on multiplayer in interviews regarding Dark Souls 2, even defending invasions as a key concept to the game. Limiting this by blocking regions would seem to be against their implied design.

3. It would seem to be a step backwards to go to dedicated servers. Demon's had them, Dark souls didn't. But maybe the lag issues in Dark Souls has convinced From that Demon's had it right. After all, tighter regions means less lag.

4. From has really put emphasis on multiplayer in interviews regarding Dark Souls 2, even defending invasions as a key concept to the game. So, with latency problems and rampant cheating being an issue, perhaps From has decided to focus on improving and policing the game in smaller regions to improve the overall experience of the multiplayer.

5. The beta was region locked, as far as I am aware.

Basically, what in taking a really long time to say is that there is solid reasoning from both sides on whether From will have the game region lock. I would hope they would announce that prior to release, but until the game is in our hands or a developer says so, we have to just wonder.
---
#18giantsirslayer(Topic Creator)Posted 1/24/2014 5:31:21 PM
HariiMakenji posted...
I forgot I answer the actual question. :P

1. It would seem to be a step backwards to go to dedicated servers. Demon's had them, Dark souls didn't. One can infer that From felt that dedicated servers were not optimal.

2. From has really put emphasis on multiplayer in interviews regarding Dark Souls 2, even defending invasions as a key concept to the game. Limiting this by blocking regions would seem to be against their implied design.

3. It would seem to be a step backwards to go to dedicated servers. Demon's had them, Dark souls didn't. But maybe the lag issues in Dark Souls has convinced From that Demon's had it right. After all, tighter regions means less lag.

4. From has really put emphasis on multiplayer in interviews regarding Dark Souls 2, even defending invasions as a key concept to the game. So, with latency problems and rampant cheating being an issue, perhaps From has decided to focus on improving and policing the game in smaller regions to improve the overall experience of the multiplayer.

5. The beta was region locked, as far as I am aware.

Basically, what in taking a really long time to say is that there is solid reasoning from both sides on whether From will have the game region lock. I would hope they would announce that prior to release, but until the game is in our hands or a developer says so, we have to just wonder.

that would suck if they did, but we will have to see. Since i have ds friends from the 4 corners lol.
---
Official greatsword user of gamefaqs board
Xbox gt giantsir slayer
#19RPGNinja123Posted 1/24/2014 5:43:17 PM
Even if it does suck at least I won't have to play with people from Brazil and France now which is a plus (if its true).

On the other hand not playing with guys like DaiHaj (British) and Iron Swan (New Zealand) would make me very mad.
---
3DS FC-0232-8140-1787(send PM if u add me)
SEGA... Please let Shenmue 3 happen.
#20HariiMakenjiPosted 1/24/2014 5:45:23 PM
Yeah, giant, I feel you. I live in Japan, so I wouldn't be able to play with any GFaqers or my friends from around the world.

Region lock is not something I want.
---