Why is Dark Souls so racist against Ice Element?

#1RPGNinja123Posted 1/24/2014 5:50:38 PM
It always baffled me there was no ice magic or ice weapons especially. It would be been neat to see how they would interpret it in the Dark Souls universe.

And before anyone says it, King's Field had several ice magic spells and even some powerful Ice weapons so clearly FROM software has dealt with it before.

I still have not played Demon Souls yet so I cant comment on whether there were Ice weapons/spells in that game either.

Even more telling is I can't even think of an enemy in Dark Souls that even remotely deals with Ice. I kept trying to tell myself that "Crystal" is Ice but naw we needed Ice badly.
---
3DS FC-0232-8140-1787(send PM if u add me)
SEGA... Please let Shenmue 3 happen.
#2BrokenMessiahPosted 1/24/2014 5:53:08 PM
I dunno, of course Crystal Magic could literally just be renamed Ice Magic lol

I would be all 'ICE MAKE SHIELD!'
---
Shane did more for Carl than his dad ever could.
#3Necro_Fear89Posted 1/24/2014 6:02:02 PM
What I want to know is why your Pawn be wrecking face in BBI.
---
All riven, kith and kin, all given for this- a never ending riddle,
my flesh worn, heart betorn, mind, by mem'ry, begyved...
#4Tinman357MPosted 1/24/2014 6:02:29 PM
never even thought of that...
might be a little OP actually, cause if you have ice magic you HAVE to have some kind of freezing spell. pvp would've turned into people spamming freezeray at each other for the free backstab...
---
Kill Pretty
http://9gag.com/gag/6148139
#5TehNicholaiPosted 1/24/2014 6:39:39 PM
You could always make a ghetto ice build. Crystalline armor with crystal soul spear, homing crystal, and TWOP to mimic a freezing effect. Slap a crystal weapon on that puppy and you're golden.
---
Vincere vel mori!
#6RPGNinja123(Topic Creator)Posted 1/24/2014 6:45:54 PM(edited)
Necro_Fear89 posted...
What I want to know is why your Pawn be wrecking face in BBI.

Uh yeah I am embarassed to say but I researched that game WAY too hard to try and make the best pawn.

/nerd glasses.

And yeah people assume if you have Ice in a game it automatically means there has to be some slowing effect afterwards but maybe instead of that you have an ice build up bar and if it reaches max bar then they do less damage for 5 seconds or something.
---
#7TehNicholaiPosted 1/24/2014 6:55:22 PM
BrokenMessiah posted...
I dunno, of course Crystal Magic could literally just be renamed Ice Magic lol

I would be all 'ICE MAKE SHIELD!'

You would need to 2h your catalyst for ice magic then, since we know ice make with 1h is unstable.
---
Vincere vel mori!
#8MelfiicePosted 1/24/2014 6:56:33 PM
I have wondered this too. They love fire stuff for sure.

The 'light' spells in kings field were awesome. I have always hoped for a Triple Fang cameo.
---
Gamertag: L GUT5 L
#9IRON-SWANPosted 1/24/2014 7:32:42 PM
RPGNinja123 posted...
And yeah people assume if you have Ice in a game it automatically means there has to be some slowing effect afterwards but maybe instead of that you have an ice build up bar and if it reaches max bar then they do less damage for 5 seconds or something.

a build up bar sounds like a good way to balance it , i dont think less damage really fits though . because its ice it really should either freeze the opponent or reduce their movement speed , or perhaps the ice would freeze the persons sweat and form a barrier of ice around them , making the next attack deal increased damage if it was done before said ice melts .

i dont know really , what i do know is a sub zero cosplay woulda been badass
---
GT:Royal Sentinel "if you want blood you got it"
\(===)/ Official OnionBro of Gamefaqs \(===)/
#10RPGNinja123(Topic Creator)Posted 1/24/2014 7:35:28 PM
IRON-SWAN posted...
RPGNinja123 posted...

a build up bar sounds like a good way to balance it , i dont think less damage really fits though . because its ice it really should either freeze the opponent or reduce their movement speed , or perhaps the ice would freeze the persons sweat and form a barrier of ice around them , making the next attack deal increased damage if it was done before said ice melts .

i dont know really , what i do know is a sub zero cosplay woulda been badass

Yeah its really tough to say what to do about Ice affect except maybe you just make another type of defense called ice defense or whatever and they would have to worry about defending against a certain number of elements and not all of them.

I am hesitant to introduce slowdown in the game because that would just be like a more permanent TwoP.

I could just see all the fight clubs saying "Hornet rings and Ice Weapons not allowed"
---