newbie question about leveling up

#1JediForcePosted 5/4/2014 11:05:45 PM
I'm level 4 and have raised a stat point then later died and lost all souls. Now I have killed 2 skeletons and earned 500 souls. Are souls the equivalent of experience points and how do I level up to level 5?
#2DeathShinigamiPosted 5/4/2014 11:16:23 PM
Think of souls less as experience and more as currency, and instead of earning levels through experience, you buy them. In order to level up, save up your souls and head to a bonfire, click level up, and increase a stat of your choice if you can afford it. The amount of souls needed to buy the next level increases as you increase your level. Btw, stay away from the skeletons. Go in the other direction passed the well to get to the Undead Burg.
---
Across the vast and majestic gulf of time and space, the jimmies rustle softly.
#3JediForce(Topic Creator)Posted 5/5/2014 1:07:48 AM
Thank you very much. Also, do enemies level up and become harder to kill as my character level increases? If I carelessly put points into stats that doesn't increase my damage potential then a previously easy to beat enemy will become a formidable opponent?
#4hawkwind_dragonPosted 5/5/2014 2:59:08 AM
Enemies don't level up, you get more souls if you parry riposte and backstab.
#5macavelePosted 5/5/2014 5:59:46 AM
hawkwind_dragon posted...
you get more souls if you parry riposte and backstab.

Misinformation. You get extra souls by overkilling an enemy with enough damage. Parry/ripose and backstabs give a massive critical bonus so they can usually trigger the overkill bonus.
---
Xbox360 GT: Don Macavele
#6JediForce(Topic Creator)Posted 5/5/2014 10:35:05 AM
It's difficult to jump in this game. Is holding down B while sprinting then B again to do a jumping roll the only way to jump?
#7IngurPosted 5/5/2014 10:45:23 AM
Yes. But there is really no need to jump in this game at all.
#8macavelePosted 5/5/2014 12:41:27 PM
Ingur posted...
But there is really no need to jump in this game at all.

So you never want the Iato katana? The ring of sacrifice under the bridge by Firelink? Access to Domhall of Zena after he moves to the same spot as the ring?

There's multiple items through the game that are only accessible by jumping.
---
#9JediForce(Topic Creator)Posted 5/5/2014 6:22:53 PM
What I like about this game is that after you pick up an item and die, the item is still in your inventory. :)
#10macavelePosted 5/5/2014 6:55:04 PM
One of my most memorable moments was be trying to avoid an enemy swing, falling off a cliff, enemy following me off the cliff and I still got the BKH
---