Just picked it up - probably a dumb question...about chests...

#11EdgeofLethe(Topic Creator)Posted 4/13/2013 12:07:54 PM
WendoloKazaki posted...
Having the same problem more or less.

Sorry to hear that. I just completed the game on normal and was able to eventually open every chest. Sometimes it took 10 minutes of trying - leaving the area at times and coming back. I'm going to start a tough/hardcore run later today and I hope the issue isn't there. Something tells me with more inputs to worry about I won't get all of them open.
---
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle
#12Prem-aka-PrincePosted 4/14/2013 1:17:03 PM
Hi, I just finished the game and I can provide some info which may be of some help.
It seems likely to be a controller issue of some sort, as the minigame is relatively straightforward, but I figure I should clear up a few facts.

-The ingame description is:
"Input the button sequence before time runs out to open this lock."

-As stated before, you must successfully press all the buttons shown one at a time before the lock closes.
The lock will close if time expires or if you press the wrong face button (except on casual, where the wrong face button makes a bad noise but does not close the lock on you).

-When you press UP to begin the minigame, a circular piece appears on screen and then splits in two.

-The left half is an indicator of the timer, once you begin it slowly closes in from left to right towards the right half, and when it reaches the right your time is up and you must start over.
If you see it close suddenly, this would be caused by pressing a face button other than the one required.

-When you fail, by any means, your key is returned to you. There is no penalty; you do not need to worry about failing, other than that you have to start the lock from the beginning.

-The right-hand half displays the button you need to press next.
There are four compass points which directly correspond to the xbox's ABXY face buttons on all difficulties. The buttons are labelled with the letter and the colour also matches.
The dial will turn and highlight one button at a time with its gold frame. The button on screen will also be lit up and flash rapidly.

--IMPORTANT
As soon as you begin the challenge, do not jump the gun. Wait about half a second for the dial to settle. I do not believe you can hit the characters that flash upon the screen momentarily as the dial spins- you must always wait for it to reach its destination, which is never more than half a rotation away. This is easy for the first one as:

-There is NO relevant time limit for pressing the first button after starting each minigame with UP. Observe as the dial spins briefly. Wait a moment until it stops, and only then process the button you see. Become familiar with this frame of time as it will spin after every button press; you will have to react to promptly for every press after the first.

-There are little markers on the outside edge of the right half- these indicate how many you need to do to unlock the lock: how many you've done and how many are left to do. There are little pistons that push out with each successfully completed button, the number that remains in shows how many more need to be done to finish.

--Difficulties:
Casual: a sequence of 3 random buttons must be pressed to complete, time limit only, wrong button doesn't close lock.
Normal: a sequence of length 4, same time limit I believe, but pressing the wrong button will close the lock.
Tough: Same with 5 buttons.
Hardcore: Same with 6 buttons.

-In the end, the minigame on Normal isn't very different from it on Tough or Hardcore, but no matter what difficulty you're on, pressing one of the four face buttons (after waiting for the initial dial to settle) should always do something: move onto the next button with a positive sound OR close itself with a negative sound, SOMETHING should happen.
If NOTHING happens (including no sound response) then there is definitely, without doubt, a fault somewhere.
---
= Semper Fi =
#13EdgeofLethe(Topic Creator)Posted 4/18/2013 2:37:03 PM
Thanks for the summary Prince. All that seems right to me, and all of that goes as you say about 1 out of 5 locks (chests and buddies). The rest of the time the mini-game is apparently buggy for me. I have tried all 4 of the controllers that I own. Each button press outside of the mini-game registers immediately and fluidly - I really don't have any other control issues in the game anywhere.

Weird stuff.
---
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle
#14Prem-aka-PrincePosted 4/18/2013 7:36:11 PM
You're welcome. Hmm it's a shame it didn't help in the end. Oh well- you can probably enjoy the game equally well without using chests as long as you grind a little more in place of the above-average items you get from chests.

Anyway I feel like most of their payout was in food, which is not a big deal to skip and just buy yourself. I think you could even sell the keys if you really don't think you can get them to work. Just make sure you save enough for the 12 guest characters.
---
= Semper Fi =
#15EdgeofLethe(Topic Creator)Posted 4/18/2013 7:45:16 PM
Prem-aka-Prince posted...
You're welcome. Hmm it's a shame it didn't help in the end. Oh well- you can probably enjoy the game equally well without using chests as long as you grind a little more in place of the above-average items you get from chests.

Anyway I feel like most of their payout was in food, which is not a big deal to skip and just buy yourself. I think you could even sell the keys if you really don't think you can get them to work. Just make sure you save enough for the 12 guest characters.

Yeah, it eventually worked out on my normal run. I just had to attempt the minigame like 4-5 times (sometimes many more) until I got a "clean" round. For whatever reason it would work just like it should every once in a while.

It's kind of funny sitting there staring at the lock screen for 1-2 minutes waiting for something/anything to happen. Usually it would just "time out" or something and go from open and not moving to immediately closed (like I had failed).
---