Man, Luke is a jerk

#1chase710Posted 12/4/2012 9:53:07 PM
I've never encountered a protagonist that bothered me this much...(I just started, btw)...I just want to see him drawn and quartered...lol
---
McBounce me around!!
#2Deoxys_PrimePosted 12/4/2012 10:02:07 PM(edited)
He is one of the most easily disliked protagonists I've ever seen. If you hate him now he does change quite a bit. I can't say you'll like him even after though, a lot of people don't. The rest of the cast is quite strong though. I really liked Guy and Jade.

Edit: If you're just starting out you've probably already met Guy, but he joins the party later on. Jade joins the party relatively early on too. They're both pretty awesome imo.
#3DragoonGriffithPosted 12/4/2012 10:39:32 PM
He basically gets even worse till a certain point, and after that he's great.

...then a little annoying again at the end of the game, but not for the same reason he's at the beginning.
#4sandslash1Posted 12/4/2012 10:59:50 PM
most tales heroes are insufferable, luke, emil, ans asbel to name a few
---
a
#5peter_888Posted 12/5/2012 12:10:59 AM
sandslash1 posted...
most tales heroes are insufferable, luke, emil, ans asbel to name a few

I actually like asbel. I probably relate him the most in some regards.
anyway, yeah Luke is annoying. But for a different reasons. He is jerk but at least he was entertaining to me. But I still really really hate him for one reason. His total obsession with Master Van. yeah, that part of him really annoyed me. but he get`s better as you progress the game.
---
I'm a gamer dang it, not a pc gamer or a console gamer, just a gamer.
#6CatMutoPosted 12/5/2012 2:06:39 AM
Yes, Luke is a spoiled brat, doesn't care about anyone but himself - although he does show at times that he seems to care a bit about other people, nags around a lot - and his brutal honesty... it's so cool!!
I can understand when people don't like him in the beginning, but he was actually rather understandably unpleasant at that point. It's just later, when he gets turned into a downright annoying little snot-ball... that's when even I wanna smack him a few times.

But that part was done on purpose, because we were supposed to dislike him at that part.

C-A
---
Cloud and Sephiroth - battling each other since '97 for your amusement
Give it a rest already!
#7DragoonGriffithPosted 12/5/2012 2:14:28 AM
This has probably been said before in discussions, but Luke at least has an an excuse for being the way he is initially and trusting only Van, given that he's practically 7 years old and no one else was there to give him the much needed support and attention.

So yeah, him and Karol have IMO the best character development in the entire series, which makes him one of my favorites.
---
Curently playing: TotA, WA3, Terranigma
#8Policroma_SolPosted 12/5/2012 2:52:34 AM
Give it time. If there's one thing I caught immediately upon playing this game, it's that they practically shove it in your face that Luke has a bigger role to play than just some dude running around swording stuff.

There's also (IMO) strong evidence that Luke's attitude is a front of sorts. If you watch his posture, especially in skits, he almost looks like he's hiding behind that mop of hair. At this point he's only really genuine around Van (and maybe Guy or Ion on a good day, both of whom seem to actually prefer his very informal way of thinking). Van's sort of like a parental figure, and he's the only person Luke trusts entirely.
#9CatMutoPosted 12/5/2012 11:15:13 AM
Policroma_Sol posted...
There's also (IMO) strong evidence that Luke's attitude is a front of sorts. If you watch his posture, especially in skits, he almost looks like he's hiding behind that mop of hair. At this point he's only really genuine around Van (and maybe Guy or Ion on a good day, both of whom seem to actually prefer his very informal way of thinking). Van's sort of like a parental figure, and he's the only person Luke trusts entirely.

They also don't look too happy - his skit faces.
But then, considering how he grew up, it's kinda understandable. I'm sure he hates himself, but doesn't have the get-up-and-go to get himself to change.
Initially, that is.

C-A
---
Cloud and Sephiroth - battling each other since '97 for your amusement
Give it a rest already!
#10peter_888Posted 12/5/2012 11:16:17 AM
DragoonGriffith posted...
This has probably been said before in discussions, but Luke at least has an an excuse for being the way he is initially and trusting only Van, given that he's practically 7 years old and no one else was there to give him the much needed support and attention.

So yeah, him and Karol have IMO the best character development in the entire series, which makes him one of my favorites.

there's a difference between trusting a persona and basically worshiping a person like they are a deity. Luke took it too far for my taste.
---
I'm a gamer dang it, not a pc gamer or a console gamer, just a gamer.