Is this game decent enough compared to its predecessor?

#1katellaPosted 1/23/2013 12:02:29 AM(edited)
Hello friends, im getting a 3DS in the mail soon sooooo~ Looking for a game to keep my attention drawn as i wait for awakening, love tales series, abyss was okay for me i liked others more but i think this would be a nice addition for on the go etc. However, i wana know if its quality is far off from the ps2 original due to it being on a weaker system(due to its reliance on 3D, however i hear abyss is identical both in 2D and 3D). Im not a graphics OCD CoD FPS freak, but id hate to experience a good game with downgraded graphics. u.u Anywho, any feedback would be great, thanks! :)
---
If ignorance is bliss, you must be orgasmic~
PSN: ScarletDevilI( L [undercase] + i [uppercase] )
#2CatMutoPosted 1/23/2013 2:35:47 AM
Calling the PS2 version a 'predecessor' is not really the right word... this is more a (slightly enhanced) port.

Anyhow, the game is almost identical to the localized PS2 version. Biggest difference is that the loading times are better and the sidequests timeframes are from the Japanese PS2 version!
Biggest example of how that changes things is that you can obtain the Jewel of Gardios a little earlier in the game, Nebilim can be defeated on any difficulty (even Normal) and you can obtain Luke's Tactical Leader outfit on your first playthrough...
So for the 'new' timeframes, check Aileron's Extras Guide, if you play.

The 3D effect... eh, it's kinda overrated.
I didn't notice too much decay in the game graphics. The 3D looks nice during certain occassions, like a Hi Ougi activating, but otherwise it's not really necessary. Also, it drains the batter life faster.
If you loved the PS2 version, buy it.
If you found the game in it's entirety okay, eh, it depends on if you want to spend money and time on replaying this game.

C-A
---
Cloud and Sephiroth - battling each other since '97 for your amusement
Give it a rest already!
#3DiligentTreePosted 1/24/2013 4:06:20 AM
katella posted...
Hello friends, im getting a 3DS in the mail soon sooooo~ Looking for a game to keep my attention drawn as i wait for awakening, love tales series, abyss was okay for me i liked others more but i think this would be a nice addition for on the go etc. However, i wana know if its quality is far off from the ps2 original due to it being on a weaker system(due to its reliance on 3D, however i hear abyss is identical both in 2D and 3D). Im not a graphics OCD CoD FPS freak, but id hate to experience a good game with downgraded graphics. u.u Anywho, any feedback would be great, thanks! :)

The 3DS is actually far more capable than the PS2 graphics wise, and can even take Wii ports + additional features.

But yes, Namco Bandai really did rush this one, and instead of working the game towards the 3DS's strengths decided just to downsize things and just shove the bloaty mess into a 3DS cartridge.

It still looks great, but you can really see they rushed considering the 3D effect is flat, and there isn't any anti-aliasing (something the 3DS is great at, and the PS2 wasn't).

Oh, but the load times are so much better that to me--this is by far the definitive version.
---
This user is not offered for sale under any circumstances. No exceptions.
#4Deoxys_PrimePosted 1/24/2013 9:59:32 PM
katella posted...

This game is 95% the same as the PS2 version. The graphics are alright. The load times are much better. The battles run at lower FPS (but you don't notice it after a while.) The timing for certain sidequests is different. There's also no multiplayer.

If you want to play Tales of the Abyss again, go for it. It's pretty much the exact same game of almost the exact same quality.
---
Pokemon Black 2: 1206 8347 0149
#5KevinCCPosted 1/26/2013 7:52:18 PM
They also managed to fix the music bug - a pleasant little surprise for when Natalia first visits the World Map.
---
...as opposed to an average game.