How do I beat sword dancer 1?

#1jbl8199Posted 1/25/2013 10:52:02 PM
Just got past the part with Arietta at Choral Castle, but this guy's just destroying me. I'd rather not spam life bottles if I don't have to, but I'm almost to the point where I don't really care anymore. Everyone is at level 16 atm and I have all the latest equipment, but I'm still getting beat. Am I just underleveled or something? Because I can barely keep my party alive let alone do any real damage.
#2Amazing AmpharosPosted 1/25/2013 11:51:11 PM
You don't need to fight him right now. You will be vaguely in the area when the plot tells you to go to Akzeriuth; stop by Choral Castle to do the fight then. You'll have gained several levels and have your sixth party member (who destroys all versions of the Sword Dancer). You will also have had the opportunity to do a sidequest to get Tempest with Guy which will greatly improve his efficiency in that fight, and of course you'll have upgraded equipment for being further in the story. Level 16 should really be enough for this fight, but there's no reason to rush it.

Sword Dancer also has the constant gimmick of having really high offense but really poor defense. Just try not to get hit and let your casters do the work, and he'll go down pretty fast. Here's our video of beating him on Very Hard; it was co-op which of course is not available to you if you're playing on the DS version, but we beat him convincingly enough that I'm sure you can imagine how it might go with the AI:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8sR2hkt0Jk&list=PLmHi1rPbj_RpFdQdQxS0P-B0T2t2KPqiP&index=7
---
Pokemon White Friend Code: 4641 8955 0950
#3jbl8199(Topic Creator)Posted 1/26/2013 4:45:06 AM
^^^Thanks for the help. I'll just come back later then
#4CatMutoPosted 1/26/2013 7:05:13 AM
An easier way to break down the strategy for any Sword Dancer...
Use Guy as a meatshield.
Have Anise, Tear and Jade in the far back, casting spells.

C-A
---
Cloud and Sephiroth - battling each other since '97 for your amusement
Give it a rest already!
#5XxHAVIC101xXPosted 1/26/2013 7:54:03 AM
CatMuto posted...
An easier way to break down the strategy for any Sword Dancer...
Use Guy as a meatshield.
Have Anise, Tear and Jade in the far back, casting spells.

C-A

What he said, this works for almost every 4-on-1 boss in this game. Although I tend to use Luke as a meat shield. Guy can self-heal, but Luke can take more hits to begin with, so either one works.
---
"I don't think we have time for this. Shouldn't we be focused on saving the world?"
-Asbel Lhant, side-questing in Tales of Graces.
#6CatMutoPosted 1/26/2013 9:48:22 AM
I generally prefer to use Guy as a meatshield simply because he's faster. So he can dodge faster, get out of range and even if he gets hit, he can heal himself. Also, I find it easier to steal with Void Tempest rather than Raging Blast or so.

C-A
---
Cloud and Sephiroth - battling each other since '97 for your amusement
Give it a rest already!
#7SynyardPosted 1/26/2013 11:40:51 AM
Anise's spell Limited works wonders on the Sword Dancer bosses! Limited has low cast time, low TP cost, high damage, and its Light elemental(which Sword Dancer is weak to). Don't forget about Limited simply because its her first spell!
---
"It's not working. The banana is not melting."
-Masaokis
#8XxHAVIC101xXPosted 1/26/2013 4:26:28 PM
Synyard posted...
Anise's spell Limited works wonders on the Sword Dancer bosses! Limited has low cast time, low TP cost, high damage, and its Light elemental(which Sword Dancer is weak to). Don't forget about Limited simply because its her first spell!

I agree. Limited stays useful through the entire game. I love when RPGs keep the basic skills useful no matter how far along you are.
---
"I don't think we have time for this. Shouldn't we be focused on saving the world?"
-Asbel Lhant, side-questing in Tales of Graces.
#9VeghEstherPosted 1/26/2013 8:11:22 PM(edited)
Limited + Spash (Jade level 13) Tear Nightmare but even on normal mode Anise and Jade may run out of TP before Tear does.

When I had that happen at level 10 to 12 I still had it with over 10,000 of its 17,000 normal mode HP left.

I killed the other 2 the same way but I had Anise with her 2nd spell usable for the 2nd sword dancer and Bloody Howling level 55 for the 3rd one which I fought at level 60.
#10jbl8199(Topic Creator)Posted 1/27/2013 11:35:12 PM
Update: I got him. Turns out I was just fighting him a little early. I went back just before Akzeriuth and had a much easier time. Thanks again.