*major ending spoilers* question about ending

#1elektra168Posted 3/17/2011 10:03:25 PM
So, is Jade a Dom? And did she turn Pey'j into a Dom too when she saved him? He had that thing on his hand after the end credits, and then in the BGE2 'trailer', one hand is bandaged...

The Dom priest said she had been his source of power for centuries or something like that, right? And 'they made you human'. Did I miss something that explained who / what Jade really is?

Thanks.
#2JoveHackPosted 3/17/2011 11:07:56 PM
elektra168 posted, "So, is Jade a Dom? And did she turn Pey'j into a Dom too when she saved him? He had that thing on his hand after the end credits, and then in the BGE2 'trailer', one hand is bandaged...

The Dom priest said she had been his source of power for centuries or something like that, right? And 'they made you human'. Did I miss something that explained who / what Jade really is?

No, you didn't miss anything. You know as much as we do. Good job catching comment that they'd pursued Jade for centuries. That's a jarring statement. Of course, General Kehk was almost dead when he said that. He was also a mortal enemy, about to die from Jade's actions.

As far as Pey'j's hand goes, remember that Jade herself was treated with "serum" after the opening battle. Then HH had a similar problem in the aftermath of the Factory, which IRIS treated handily.

For that matter, when General Kehk spoke his dying words to Jade, her hand glowed green. I wonder what we would have seen if Jade hadn't been wearing the disk shooter. Perhaps a growth like HH and Pey'j's?

1Up did a backlog podcast of BG&E in 2008. Spread over three podcasts, four reviewers talk about the game and gameplay.

Here's the podcast where they discuss the ending of the game, starting at 1 hour and 13 minutes. It's 51.8 MB in size.

http://podcast.1upnetwork.net/1UPFM/1UFM122208.mp3

Word on BG&E2 is that Michel Ancel originally planned a trilogy, but now everything is going to be wrapped up in the next game. (Fingers crossed.)

---
Jove the Sleep Depraved.
#3elektra168(Topic Creator)Posted 3/18/2011 8:11:08 PM
Wow, thanks for the reply, JoveHack. That explains a lot!

I am totally going to check out the ending again. I didn't notice her hand glowing green.

Will check out the link too.
#4BonnabinTheDirePosted 3/18/2011 8:45:49 PM
Ending doesn't give you much more than a craving for a sequel.
---
"...and since he's swearing and getting upset I just give him the old "no u" and call him bro etc" -Cynghanedd
#5JoveHackPosted 3/18/2011 9:50:43 PM
BonnabinTheDire posted, "Ending doesn't give you much more than a craving for a sequel."

I was actually very happy with the ending. First the rush when Jade opened her eyes. Then watching the credits wondering what happened next.

A question that was answered more than satisfactorily with the photos on the lighthouse wall in the credits. (And it was the lighthouse wall. I recognized the stained glass fish window.)

Those snapshots were a better ending than almost anything else I could think of. HH and Pey'j together. A kid chasing HH around. Woof chasing a fly (like the first one Jade photographs) into the camera. (Jade did a great job keeping focus on an object that close. But then, she is a professional photographer.)

With Jade, Pey'j, and HH together running things the kids are all right.

---
Jove the Sleep Depraved.
#6BonnabinTheDirePosted 3/18/2011 10:40:28 PM(edited)
Every time I beat this game I'm disappointed by the ending (three times now). I just really hate when books/movies/games have a big twist at the end and then give virtually no information as to what'll be happening next. This feeling gets a lot worse when the planned follow-up never makes it or takes a ridiculously long time to come out.
---
"...and since he's swearing and getting upset I just give him the old "no u" and call him bro etc" -Cynghanedd
#7JoveHackPosted 3/18/2011 11:29:21 PM(edited)
BonnabinTheDire posted, "Every time I beat this game I'm disappointed by the ending (three times now). I just really hate when books/movies/games have a big twist at the end and then give virtually no information as to what'll be happening next. This feeling gets a lot worse when the planned follow-up never makes it or takes a ridiculously long time to come out."

We know everything important about Jade. She's a professional photographer, lighthouse keeper, hovercraft racing champion, salvager of flotsam and jetsam, valued member of IRIS, respected citizen of Hillys, spaceship pilot, scourge of Looters, vehicular combatant who has thrice defeated a Teratosaurus Imperator, intrepid explorer, always finishes her assignments (at least my Jade is, with all photographs and pearls), caretaker of orphans, and friend to Pey'j and HH, to the point that they are willing to risk their lives for her. She's steadfast to the point that even with the lighthouse destroyed she still has the kids there.

Pey'j, the Dom'z High Priest, and General Kehck have differing stories of Jade's origins. But those don't matter because it's those facts above that tell us who Jade is.

As for being special, that was obvious from the start. Jade's accomplishments throughout the game are from skills she already had, or developed over the course of the game. She starts out defeating Sarcophagus Domz with a burning brand. Even the final boss is defeated the same way as the first boss underground beneath the lighthouse, with an attack on the creature's eye.

The restoration of the people after the final battle is easily explained as being done by the Dom'Z High Priest. The same agent that drained them now serving a new master, Jade. Not evidence that Jade has suddenly developed magic powers.

Whether Jade is an ancient alien super-being, or plain human, isn't as important to who she is as what she does and who her friends are. That's the point of the final photographs.

Edit: tl;dr. At the end, Jade's still Jade. If she's an ancient alien super-being, she's an ancient alien super-being hanging out at the lighthouse, taking care of the kids, goofing with Pey'j, HH, and Woof...and still taking photographs of the native wildlife.

---
Jove the Sleep Depraved.
#8elektra168(Topic Creator)Posted 3/19/2011 4:03:40 PM
"The restoration of the people after the final battle is easily explained as being done by the Dom'Z High Priest. The same agent that drained them now serving a new master, Jade. Not evidence that Jade has suddenly developed magic powers."

Whoa! Really? I just figured they were released from their captivity. So she can rule the Domz?!
#9JoveHackPosted 3/19/2011 4:08:58 PM(edited)
elektra168 posted... "Whoa! Really? I just figured they were released from their captivity. So she can rule the Domz?!"

The captives floating in air is a sign of something special happening.

As far as ruling the DomZ, note that the DomZ High Priest picked Jade up. Holding her as he had the DomZ earlier.

---
Jove the Sleep Depraved.