Online play?

#1Therran81Posted 2/25/2012 2:48:14 PM
I just got this game and it's rather confusing, what's the different between TrendyNet online and Open? And why does there have to be separate sets of heroes for each?
---
So this is how it ends.
#2FireKatKidPosted 2/25/2012 2:54:16 PM
Trendynet is ranked, so you can get achievements. Open is online but no achievements. The reasoning being that Trendynet has a sort of cheat protection thing to make sure none of the characters are altered to be stronger or something.

I assume you aren't allowed to switch the characters from Open to Ranked is because you might alter it in Open, then slip it past the sensors into Ranked.
You -can- export a character from Ranked to Open, though, if a friend is using Open mode.
#3zenxacredPosted 2/26/2012 12:27:51 AM
Quick notes:

Play Online - VAC Protected
-- Ranked - Achievements. Crack down on modding.
-- Open - no achievements. testbed for modding. can still be played with online friends.
Play Local
-- No achievements. Just you/splitscreen. Characters from Open will be listed here as well.

If you get VAC banned, you lose the Play online button. Yes, both open and ranked will be gone.
---
~ SG/Zen ~
XBL/Steam: ZenXacred
#4LordRavielPosted 2/26/2012 1:59:19 AM
soulgenesis posted...
Quick notes:

Play Online - VAC Protected
-- Ranked - Achievements. Crack down on modding.
-- Open - no achievements. testbed for modding. can still be played with online friends.
Play Local
-- No achievements. Just you/splitscreen. Characters from Open will be listed here as well.

If you get VAC banned, you lose the Play online button. Yes, both open and ranked will be gone.

A few additional points on this. Ranked online characters are stored server side so you cannot play with ranked characters without being in online mode in steam.

In the configure option on the start up screen you can change the online mode to Gamespy this disables ranked and switches the open from a steam based open to a gamespy based open, the Gamespy open has one advantage over steam's it allows LAN.
---
Currently Playing: Too Many Games! Seriously: Dungeon Defenders, MW3,
Disgaea 4, White Knight Chronicles 2, Skyrim and Mario Kart 7
#5Therran81(Topic Creator)Posted 2/26/2012 11:41:29 AM
Is there someway I can transfer my TF2 familiars and Portal gun over to my Ranked character?
---
So this is how it ends.
#6jcmasonPosted 2/26/2012 7:32:29 PM
Therran81 posted...
Is there someway I can transfer my TF2 familiars and Portal gun over to my Ranked character?

Not sure that there is, they aren't available to you in the Ranked room? I feel like they should be there, but maybe you can reach out to the devs for support or something. Check the Trendy website to see if there's anything about it.
---
http://www.spacepiratesandzombies.com/
i7-2600K|MSI Z68A-GD80|1GB GTX 460 x2|8GB DDR3 @1600MHz|Corsair Graphite Series 600T White
#7igniz12000Posted 2/26/2012 9:36:37 PM
They are already there. No need to transfer anything.
#8MashYouGoodPosted 2/27/2012 11:39:07 PM
I take it you can still garner XP in 'Open', non Ranked play, right?

Also, what constitutes a banning? Modded / hacked characters in Ranked?
#9jcmasonPosted 2/28/2012 3:57:56 PM
MashYouGood posted...
I take it you can still garner XP in 'Open', non Ranked play, right?

Also, what constitutes a banning? Modded / hacked characters in Ranked?

Yeah, XP levels up the same in Open as it does in Ranked, but if you want to hack or mod just do it in Open. Ranked, being ranked, is designed to be controlled and fair. Though people still seem to find ways to get glitched/hacked stuff in there, just be careful. They can still ban you for using exploits.
---
http://www.spacepiratesandzombies.com/
i7-2600K|MSI Z68A-GD80|1GB GTX 460 x2|8GB DDR3 @1600MHz|Corsair Graphite Series 600T White
#10MashYouGoodPosted 2/28/2012 6:55:58 PM
^ Regarding online, does the Steam version of the game not have the same online options as the Direct-to-drive version? Is it run on different servers?

A friend of mine has the Steam version; I have DtD. He says he does not have the GameSpy server option on his game. Is this fact?