Is the Jester just completely useless?

#1JJH777Posted 1/21/2013 2:57:06 AM
I only just started playing recently (with the humble bundle) and I'm not a very high level yet but of the classes I've made Jester just seems worthless. The presents are obviously useless they spawn nothing or bad towers far too often and then there's the chance for an ogre. The wheel of fortune seems decent but not enough to make up for the classes shortcomings. I read that Jester was one of the best dps heroes but my monk that is seven levels lower does twice the dps with the same gear. She gets a lot of life per point but that seems to be her only strong attribute and the extra life doesn't seem anywhere near as useful as the monks regen.
---
If you believe that Abed is the true Messiah and you are 100% proud of it make this your signature.
http://oi44.tinypic.com/lfdsi.jpg
#2MoassemanPosted 1/21/2013 3:22:26 AM
I stopped reading at "The presents are obviously useless".
Jester is currently _THE BEST_ builder ingame. Don't make hasty assumptions because ya haven't been at the endgame. The presents tend to be a bit bad if you're trying to be solobuilding the campaign at low level, but that will change.
#35171522Posted 1/21/2013 8:25:43 AM
Presents spawn towers three times as strong as the other builders. Jesters can move towers that get knocked around my sharkin without having to sell and rebuild them. And they can dps.
---
Not.
#4MoassemanPosted 1/21/2013 9:34:20 AM
5171522 posted...
Presents spawn towers three times as strong as the other builders. Jesters can move towers that get knocked around my sharkin without having to sell and rebuild them. And they can dps.

Pretty much this, just take away the "three times as strong" and replace it with "depending on tower type, up to 30% faster shooting/exploding defenses"
#5downdingPosted 1/22/2013 10:04:29 AM
They looks (looked?) OBSCENELY overpowered and I mean obscene in survival games since towers from presents use up less DUs and are more powerful. 4 DU harpoons with faster firing? (heard this was effectively a near 100% increase in effective nm harpoon dps from the squire) Sign me up! I was like hax the first time I saw it after I returned to this game after a pretty long hiatus.

I'm definitely going to look to gearing one up, but only after I get more comfortable again since Jester definitely feels like a very, advanced class to use effectively. I don't know how useful they are in campaigns, but maybe veterans can enlighten, but I imagine they could be the most essential builder in a survival games.

http://forums.trendyent.com/showthread.php?83771-An-in-depth-look-into-Jester-Mechanics-secrets-and-cheap-tricks
This thread was quite an eye opener, though some info is out of date.
#6MoassemanPosted 1/22/2013 12:50:14 PM
^ Campaign Jesters can be extrrrrrrrrremely awkward.. Tho I still use them for campaign as well :3

Also, the thread you linked is IIRC pretty much on-date, with the exception of who is considered the "builder" of defenses that comes out of presents. Nowadays it's always the jester (Which is a blessing and a plague).
#7PhantasmplusPosted 2/7/2013 12:36:34 PM
I have the same feeling, low level Jester's blow hard. I just stopped putting presents down altogether because there was probably literally a 50% chance for an Ogre. Dear. God. Each time one would appear I would run around screaming "I GOOFED I GOOFED I GOOFED I GOOFED" "u wot-OH GOD DAMN IT"

I resorted to standing on top of the Eternia Crystal and spinning my wheel of fortuna. :(

Then I made a Barbarian and now EVERYTHING FALLS BEFORE ME.
---
SUFFER MORTALS. As your pathetic magic BETRAAAAYS YOUUUUU
IGN: Glacierstorm
#8MoassemanPosted 2/7/2013 6:19:47 PM
phantasmplus posted...
I have the same feeling, low level Jester's blow hard. I just stopped putting presents down altogether because there was probably literally a 50% chance for an Ogre. Dear. God. Each time one would appear I would run around screaming "I GOOFED I GOOFED I GOOFED I GOOFED" "u wot-OH GOD DAMN IT"

I resorted to standing on top of the Eternia Crystal and spinning my wheel of fortuna. :(

And then you realized that you're not fit to be the brain, you're fit to be the muscle.
#9PhantasmplusPosted 2/7/2013 6:38:01 PM
Moasseman posted...
phantasmplus posted...

And then you realized that you're not fit to be the brain, you're fit to be the muscle.

Might makes right.
---
SUFFER MORTALS. As your pathetic magic BETRAAAAYS YOUUUUU
IGN: Glacierstorm
#10MoassemanPosted 2/9/2013 10:50:28 AM
phantasmplus posted...
Moasseman posted...
phantasmplus posted...

Might makes right.

Sindra sure was powerful, but still helped the raid with ice tombs instead of completely wiping everyone with few bombs.

PS. I sure hated the unchained magic.