Questions about Sunder, Crush, Pierce...

#1m4r10l1mPosted 3/16/2011 2:27:46 PM
When looking at weapon damage, for example a Sawblade II which has 35 sunder and 150 crush, are all attacks distributed as doing both types damage to their respective degrees or are certain attacks sunder and some attack crush type damage and therefore in this case any sunder type attacks wouldn't do much?

I guess a better example would be like the short blade type where the triangle attack has you stabbing at the enemy, which I would assume is pierce type damage only, but is this necessarily the case?
#2AnnihilatorSolPosted 3/16/2011 2:30:17 PM
It sure is, square and triangle..
#3dat_squallPosted 3/16/2011 8:07:59 PM
All elements in the weapon will be applied in the same proportion regardless of whether you're using a Square attack or a Triangle attack. In your example, both 35 Sunder and 150 Crush damage will be dealt. The difference between Square and Triangle attacks is that Triangle combos have higher damage multipliers.
---
Come on...come on! I'm...right...here! SKEEEEEEEEEEIIIIIIIIIIIIIII- [Disconnected from server]
#4MaipawaPosted 3/16/2011 8:58:01 PM
Another difference which is affected also by the buttons is where the attack lands. Different areas react differently to the same attack.
---
A Bard's Tale -
raywing00@gmail.com
#5BlissfulPoisonPosted 3/23/2011 2:14:35 AM
If you don't mind, I'd like to add on to this; I tried searching for a topic like this, and it seemed to fit the bill.

Say that---like most of us God(s) Eaters---you're out to completely break off the armor of particular Aragami that you'd need specific unbound materials from. Would the Break/Sunder/Pierce traits of your setup determine greater chances of breaking the Aragami's parts, or does it apply to effectiveness in damaging it? Or both...?

>_> ....Because, for the last several days, I've went along with

Break = Breaking/Shattering Aragami Armor
Pierce = Deal damage through rough defenses
Sunder = Deal damage through general slashes
---
"A dream's only fantasy, but once you made your dream, it's no longer fantasy."
#6AnnihilatorSolPosted 3/23/2011 2:24:18 AM
Chiyou's head weak to slash, body and wings to crush

Let's say that chiyou has 1200 hp on his head, and since it's weak to both fire and pierce, you shoot a bullet that does 500 damage (fire and pierce), it will deal roughly 450 damage (at worst) so it takes 3 shots to break his head.. Now you try to hit him with a buster blade that does let's say 400 damage per charge attack, his head has like what 40% reduction on crush type attacks (not counting elements), so you deal 240 damage per charge attack, and you break his head in about 5 charge attacks..

In summary, all attack types can break parts since they all have a set amount of hp but keep in mind that every part has it's corresponding weakness and resistance, so having the right tool for the right job is key to breaking parts easily.

Aragami's total hp can be reduced by hitting any part of the body, however for example the chiyou's head has 90 on it's stat somewhere on the japanese wiki, meaning any damage done to the head translates 90% of it as damage to the aragami's total hp. Any part that is broken removes that damage mitigation, meaning hitting a broken part deals 100% damage to the aragami's total hp..
#7AnnihilatorSolPosted 3/23/2011 2:25:25 AM
Hard to explain really, but hopefully you get the idea, and the numbers I used are not the actual correct values, but are used simply as reference in order to illustrate how stuff works..
#8INFERTakuyaPosted 3/23/2011 2:32:02 AM
BlissfulPoison posted...
If you don't mind, I'd like to add on to this; I tried searching for a topic like this, and it seemed to fit the bill.

Say that---like most of us God(s) Eaters---you're out to completely break off the armor of particular Aragami that you'd need specific unbound materials from. Would the Break/Sunder/Pierce traits of your setup determine greater chances of breaking the Aragami's parts, or does it apply to effectiveness in damaging it? Or both...?

>_> ....Because, for the last several days, I've went along with

Break = Breaking/Shattering Aragami Armor
Pierce = Deal damage through rough defenses
Sunder = Deal damage through general slashes

I'd say it depends. I'm thinking it works like this:

Let's say an Aragami has 2 breakable parts (can be any number. Just an illustration).

Part A has a certain amount of Crush Defense, a certain amount of Pierce Defense and a certain amount of Sunder Defense. (e.g. 0, 80 and 60 respectively)

Part B also has a certain amount of each type of Defense, but the values may or may not be the same Part A's. (e.g. 5, 65, 70 respectively)

The Aragami itself has a certain amount of each type of Defense, which again may or may not be the same as Part A/B's. These Defense values apply to all non-breakable or broken parts of the Aragami. (e.g. 30, 15, 20 respectively)

Of course, in practice, Elemental Resistance also comes into play. They work similarly to the Defense values.
---
DJ. INFRTaku BS- Beginner CE-Grand Master DMP2-Guest
A sole petal descends into the darkness, but no matter how deep it falls, it will never be alone...
#9BlissfulPoisonPosted 3/23/2011 10:55:20 PM
INFERTakuya posted...

I'd say it depends. I'm thinking it works like this:

Let's say an Aragami has 2 breakable parts (can be any number. Just an illustration).

Part A has a certain amount of Crush Defense, a certain amount of Pierce Defense and a certain amount of Sunder Defense. (e.g. 0, 80 and 60 respectively)

Part B also has a certain amount of each type of Defense, but the values may or may not be the same Part A's. (e.g. 5, 65, 70 respectively)

The Aragami itself has a certain amount of each type of Defense, which again may or may not be the same as Part A/B's. These Defense values apply to all non-breakable or broken parts of the Aragami. (e.g. 30, 15, 20 respectively)

Of course, in practice, Elemental Resistance also comes into play. They work similarly to the Defense values.

Thanks for answering. After having a few bouts against Borg Camlann, I can see how each breakable part of an Aragami would have certain defenses. The descriptions that are given in the game's Database is helpful to an extent, but like a lot of God(s) Eaters, I'm out to get the quick job done.

But with that said, that must mean that well rounded weapons are a must, despite that there are only a few of them that can be made. Though I'm only in Chapter 4, are there any Weapons Lists that are out there on the 'net, just so I can preview the incoming awesomeness?
---
"A dream's only fantasy, but once you made your dream, it's no longer fantasy."
#10Village IdiotPosted 3/23/2011 11:18:20 PM
But with that said, that must mean that well rounded weapons are a must, despite that there are only a few of them that can be made. Though I'm only in Chapter 4, are there any Weapons Lists that are out there on the 'net, just so I can preview the incoming awesomeness?

I depends on what you want to break and/or complement your setup. If you need to break a specific part, it might be better to bring along a weapon that is strong against that part.
---
Actually, since Wedge Antilles > Carriers, and Carriers = Instant win, then it should be Wedge Antilles > Instant win. He's just that good XD -PsionicDude