Translator's corner.

#1MAXimUMakarOFFPosted 5/6/2011 4:29:32 AM
Well, we know that Alisa is Russian. I don't know if she says something in russian except from "Ajin, duva, touri" and "Gore ne more - vypyesh do dna". Well, if you're interested what she says, ask me! BTW, "ajin, douva, touri"
is russian "one, two, three", but first word got severely crippled. And correect translation for the proverbation is "Grief is not a sea - you can drink it to bottom". Also, the sniper rifle, Tosca, can be read in russian to get the word "Anguish"(this is what "toska" means)(hm, it seems GFAQS don't support cyrillic letters). Well, I'm open for any questions!
#2EleazarBJPosted 5/6/2011 5:11:03 AM
^That's really interesting since I study foreign languages.

However, Tosca is the female protagonist of a tragedy in a Italian Opera, Sariel's equip are quotes of tragedies and dramatic literature, like Othello, Trovatore, Rigoletto, Macbeth King Lear Etc. so I don't think you have a point here.

Also, do not forget that translation are often wrong since the japs are the first to butcher quotes with the katakana transcription, sometimes it's really difficult to get the translation right, not to mention that the western translator are often not that interested in rebuilding the original meaning or quote, see the vanilla FF tactics or Tactics Ogre.

I like this thread!
---
There isn't anything true or just in the world of Man.
That's why We created Laws, to order, to protect and, more importantly, to rule...
#3MAXimUMakarOFF(Topic Creator)Posted 5/6/2011 5:16:06 AM
EleazarBJ posted...
^That's really interesting since I study foreign languages.

However, Tosca is the female protagonist of a tragedy in a Italian Opera, Sariel's equip are quotes of tragedies and dramatic literature, like Othello, Trovatore, Rigoletto, Macbeth King Lear Etc. so I don't think you have a point here.

Also, do not forget that translation are often wrong since the japs are the first to butcher quotes with the katakana transcription, sometimes it's really difficult to get the translation right, not to mention that the western translator are often not that interested in rebuilding the original meaning or quote, see the vanilla FF tactics or Tactics Ogre.

I like this thread!

Yeah. So, any questions? Or she says only 2 phrases in russian in entire game?
#4todesfaelle070Posted 5/6/2011 5:19:45 AM
Dang. Please keep the discussion flowing, guys. I'm interested in your conversation. :)

And yes, IIRC the Sariel the likes equipments are from various literatures. And Maximumakaroff's translation of Tosca seems to greatly complement Tosca's story, which depicts anguish and despair. :) So I think Maximum's onto something.
#5todesfaelle070Posted 5/6/2011 5:24:13 AM
Oh and I have a question, Maximum. When you go into Alisa's room and you access her terminal, when you view her other files they're all in Russian. Can you translate them and post the translations here? I've been a little curious about what they say. :)
#6MAXimUMakarOFF(Topic Creator)Posted 5/6/2011 5:48:12 AM
todesfaelle070 posted...
Oh and I have a question, Maximum. When you go into Alisa's room and you access her terminal, when you view her other files they're all in Russian. Can you translate them and post the translations here? I've been a little curious about what they say. :)

Which episode? When I'll get to this point, I'll be sure to look for them and would be glad to translate.
#7todesfaelle070Posted 5/6/2011 6:28:49 AM
It's on Alisa's terminal. You can view it whenever she's in her room. :)
#8MAXimUMakarOFF(Topic Creator)Posted 5/6/2011 6:36:42 AM
todesfaelle070 posted...
It's on Alisa's terminal. You can view it whenever she's in her room. :)

That's what I mean. It's kinda hard to get someone in their room.
#9todesfaelle070Posted 5/6/2011 7:40:13 AM
I'm sure the opportunity will come up. No one really logs when someone is in their room or not. You don't have to rush though. Since you have a lot of time to catch her in her room.
#10EleazarBJPosted 5/6/2011 1:13:56 PM
By the way Todes, are you German?
---
There isn't anything true or just in the world of Man.
That's why We created Laws, to order, to protect and, more importantly, to rule...