Teach me about dota jungling :O

#1FoxyArekuPosted 2/9/2012 6:03:51 AM
And is it possible to do with rikimaru, since he's mainly useful after six and seems to suck in lane till then? I just really enjoy playing him.

Is there a video guide on how to jungle? I've played lots of LoL so I'm mostly used to how you do it there.
---
Not changing sig until Twisted Fate gets his ult back.
League of Legends: 8/24/2011
#2VoroVoraxVoragoPosted 2/9/2012 6:37:18 AM
Hi Foxy I remember you posting on the LoL boards. Welcome to Dota 2. :3

There are a few heros who seem to be more prevalent in the jungle than others in Dota 2:

Enigma
Natures Prophet
Chen
Enchantress
(and to a lesser degree) Dark Seer

These are all intelligence heroes who rely mostly on levels and abilities to gank/be successful.

I think I haven't seen any agility carry heros in the jungle because there must be more gold and/or xp to be had in the lane, as well as kill opportunities when the jungler ganks.

That being said I'm sure you could make it work with some agility heroes. Something like a Vanguard -> Power Treads would be core, and you'd probably have to start off with a ton of regen, but I'm sure you could do it.

Even so it's usually better to have an Enigma in the jungle because he's a team fight/ganking/pushing boss.
---
Silver of the moon.
#3FoxyAreku(Topic Creator)Posted 2/9/2012 8:02:52 AM
Hey thanks for the answer. Sounds interesting. Guess I just need to learn what neutral camps you're supposed to kill in which order.

I'm mainly just playing Rikimaru and Crystal Maiden, trying to learn the items and what works. Been having lots of fun so far, when I don't get a leaver at least (which seems to happen alot...)
---
Not changing sig until Twisted Fate gets his ult back.
League of Legends: 8/24/2011
#4MasterjimmyPosted 2/9/2012 8:32:44 AM
Here ya go foxy. It tells you the big/small camps and such. Also a guide of who is good at jungling enjoy :)

http://www.playdota.com/learn/jungle
---
Jim Chapman quote, Don't ask a question you can't take back. cause whats said is said and some things you never forget.
#5Ness26Posted 2/9/2012 9:09:28 AM
Jungling works very different in LoL and Dota.

For one, the camps are random, so you can't have a preset route you follow. For two, most heroes can't sustain themselves in the jungle like in LoL since HP/armor is lower on Dota heroes. Jungling usually happens between creep waves later in the game, unless you're a hero like Chen/Enchantress/Enigma who can create creeps to tank up the enemies for him.

Carries especially shouldn't be jungling since you'll have to drop money on a bunch of consumables to make up for the damage you'll be taking from the neutrals. If you can lane at all decently you'll end up with much more XP/gold.
---
No amount of planning will ever replace dumb luck.
#6IynxorPosted 2/9/2012 9:10:37 AM
You can exploit one of the main Ancient camps on the Sentinel/Radiant side with a ranged hero. <_<
---
Your trolling is like a failed fishing trip, but without the beer and camaraderie. ~ _Rushdown_
#7Ant_to_the_maxPosted 2/9/2012 9:19:02 AM

You can exploit one of the main Ancient camps on the Sentinel/Radiant side with a ranged hero. <_<

LAZY SNIPER!!!!

I am totally going to try it one game, but I need to make sure I have a competent team first before I do it >_>
---
http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/4/26/129167586636177506.gif
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198007133925
#8mahgah91Posted 2/9/2012 10:09:45 AM
The most efficient junglers I've seen are Ursa, Furion, Enigma and N'aix. Furion only because he does it with little trouble but Ursa, Enigma and N'aix can be deadly if they gank while jungling too.
---
Nintendo 3DS FC: Mahgah 1547-5225-3564
#9MaharobaPosted 2/9/2012 10:37:05 AM
A further note on jungling, as a lot of people have misconceptions about certain heroes. Just because your hero is proficient at jungling does NOT mean you are forced to jungle. In many cases, your team will still pick a comp that doesn't need or, rather, CAN'T have a solo because of bad picks. In this case it is generally a good idea to lane, or if the enemy team is tryhard'ing and denying your jungle.

I lane prophet most of the time regardless because he is an amazing farmer and you can get up to speed with a hand of midas faster in the lane than you could in the jungle unless you were stacking and the enemy team wasn't harassing you at all.

Oh, and jungle ursa is generally not a good idea either unless your lane is just horrible. He needs to get a vlads as soon as possible so that he can get that 8-10 minute roshan so lane is better for him.
---
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
Just kidding.
#10Ant_to_the_maxPosted 2/9/2012 2:49:54 PM

Just because your hero is proficient at jungling does NOT mean you are forced to jungle.

I HATE when people yell at me for not jungling with Furion.
I always lane with him so I can max TP/Sprout. I found that makes him a better support hero.
---
http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/4/26/129167586636177506.gif
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198007133925