This game seems like Dota 0.5

#1SadCubsFanPosted 9/23/2011 12:18:27 PM
It seems like all the heroes are exactly as they were in previous games, but the only difference this time is that there are less than in the original. The interface also looks worse so far.

I'm all for keeping the integrity of the game intact, but isn't there a such thing as playing it too safe? I mean so far it looks like a smaller version of Dota 1 but just with a new coat of paint and a tutorial system...
#2PhoenixNinePosted 9/23/2011 12:28:08 PM
Lots and lots of improvements behind the scenes.
---
~Victory needs no explanation; defeat allows none.~
#3gamesrgreatPosted 9/23/2011 12:42:18 PM
Dota is pretty much a perfect game except for the limitations of its system. A matchmaking system as well as other coding improvements will improve the game enough to be worthy of a buy
---
The Miami Heat
#4b0ltmAg3Posted 9/23/2011 1:01:53 PM
what is beta for?

i don't know either
---
Idiots will be shot for drinking my beer. Survivors will be shot again.
The Equail Army - Captain of the arsenal of cornstalks.
#5PaperbladePosted 9/23/2011 1:17:00 PM
I thought beta was like a trial version of the game where you get to play it without paying for it and had all the features and no bugs
---
I dislike arguments of any kind. They are always vulgar, and often convincing. ~ The Importance of Being Earnest
#6SpeedDemon20Posted 9/23/2011 1:45:11 PM
I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be just like Dota 1. And the reason all the heroes aren't in Dota 2 is pretty obvious, I think; the heroes still need models and their skills to be coded into the game. I'd imagine a lot of incomplete games do not have the entire character roster available initially. Though a lot of games would not be shown to the public so early in development either.

Anywho, here're some highlights from the Q&A IceFrog had last year.

http://blog.dota2.com/2010/11/dota-2-qa/

Q: Don’t you think you should make a lot of changes to the gameplay? (by Robert)
A: Significant changes would not necessarily make it a better game. There are countless features we are building around the game that will make the experience a much better one. The gameplay itself, though, has always evolved step by step, and it will continue with that methodology. We consider this a long term project, in the same way DotA has always been. We want to provide a quality experience and not just change for the sake of change. You’ll naturally see additions and improvements to the game as time passes, but it would be a natural progression aimed at improving the game for the players and not for other arbitrary reasons. Valve and I strongly believe that the player focused development process the game has gone through is what will allow us to continue making the best decisions with regards to where we spend our development time.

Q: Will you keep loyal to casting times like Torrent and will it still be possible to do the advanced tricks, like animation canceling, fog of war tricks we’ve learned, etc? (by Lycan)
A: Yes, those mechanics are implemented. They are a very integral part of the game and it wouldn’t feel the same without them.

Q: Are you going to work on DotA after DotA 2 is released? (by Jack Lee)
A: I plan to keep DotA updated for as long as the community wants. That being said though, I think that DotA 2 represents the long term future for the game.

And with that covered, I have to say that I'm pretty annoyed by gamers who always ***** when a game is "the same" as its prequel. I mean, Pokemon has basically stayed the same with little nice editions through each version, but man did I rage when they removed the Vs. Seeker. A lot of the times, I just want the same game with a few additions and improvements.

But in the end, I suppose there are people just like me, and regardless of what a game company does, they can never win with everyone. Someone will always find something to ***** about.

---
http://www.playdota.com/img/art/2858/fanart/f1244804694.jpg
I hate resorting to violence...
#7FlakconPosted 9/23/2011 10:24:59 PM
Paperblade posted...
I thought beta was like a trial version of the game where you get to play it without paying for it and had all the features and no bugs

That's not beta, that's a demo.

Beta is a testing phase where they let the public play to test the game at this build. It is not final as if enough people wanted a change for something like system, interface, code they may change it and get feedbacks on the change. Bugs are the other major thing that beta is for.
---
PSN: theSkarekro BNET: theSkareqro
My SSF4:AE videos http://www.youtube.com/user/theSkarekro
#8b0ltmAg3Posted 9/24/2011 2:14:39 AM
question #2

what is thinly veiled sarcasm?
---
#9ignivimPosted 9/24/2011 1:06:17 PM
SC2 was also pretty much a reskin of SC1.
#10b0ltmAg3Posted 9/24/2011 5:33:02 PM
sc2 is definitely not a "reskin" of sc1 as far as competitive play goes

way too many unit changes and mechanical difference for that
---