How many bot games should I play before playing against other people?

#1andrewman2000Posted 3/9/2012 1:07:52 PM
So I just installed this game yesterday. I have never played a MOBA style game before. I spent a little bit of time reading on how to play and then played a game against bots set to normal. I was playing as Sven. I died about 20 times, got 0 kills, and 1 assist. The other team won easily.

I then watched an entire game from start to finish that only lasted 25 minutes. I spent most of the time watching someone play windrunner. I then played another game against bots set to easy. This time I played windrunner and tried to mimic some of the things I saw in the game I watched. I got 1 kill, 4 deaths, and 2 assists. I also had like 155 last hits. This time my team won, but it took like 50 minutes. I still don't really have a good grasp on the shop or which items to buy just yet.

My thought is to keep playing games against bots on easy until I can play pretty comfortably with a few different heroes, and then move on to games against bots on normal. After being comfortable with those games, I figured I would start playing games against other people.

Does this seem like a good strategy? Should I watch a lot more games and try to mimic the different things I see to get a better grasp on the heroes? What are some good heroes for beginners to learn? Should I jump into games with other players sooner? Are most people that play this game really good or are there always a few players in each match that are fairly new?

Thanks for any advice.
---
I'm always thinking one step ahead. I'm like a carpenter ... who makes stairs - Andy Bernard
#2awwwSNAPPosted 3/9/2012 1:16:06 PM
I'm in the same boat, essentially, only coming over from LoL I have some background with these games. But from co-op vs Ai in that and custom bot games, it definitely seems like playing co-op vs bots is the way to learn anything past the absolute basics - how to last hit and deny, for example. But l feel like not having competent teammates in custom games makes it harder to get a feel for the flow of actual games. Either way I suck at this game and get hammered by ridiculous cc as soon as i try to farm anything, ever, in the opening minutes of games.
#3ConkerPosted 3/9/2012 2:41:22 PM
I'd say what you're doing is good, and if you play even a few games against bots to get a grasp on these things, you'll be fine:

-how to properly last hit (and have an understanding of denying, don't have to be an expert)
-learn skills of a few heroes (learning other hero skills is one of the biggest aspects of this game as you will understand what someone else can do against you...you can actually learn a lot just reading the skills of each and what kind of hero they are in "Learn" - also pay attention to their focus of int, agility, str and this will help with items)
-basic use of courier/wards/teleport scrolls along with when to gank or when you may be ganked

Oh and map awareness is huge...learning to pay attention to other lanes or knowing where people go, your teammates pings, and being able to judge when someone is baiting you (basically giving you the perception it's a good time to try and kill them then their teammates are ready to come behind you for ownage).

Those things are integral to the game.

If you can go 1-4 against easy comps, just play until you can beat them consistently with a positive k:d ratio on normal and you should be decent enough against pubs.

That sounds like a lot but really it should only take a couple days to understand those things...doing it well is a different story, but you'll learn a lot of how other people react to those things once you're in a live game. Which may be good to try a couple just to judge how good/bad your understanding is right now and judge your improvements. Your opponents may vary in real games, but at least you'll have an idea of where you stand against regular live games.

Most pubs expect new players and have them in every game anyways (unless you go against a party), so it's not like you'll be the only one, people will give tips (although many times angrily after you mess up).
---
NP: DotA 2, Rage, MW3
Lets Go: Lions, Red Wings, Tigers, Pistons, and CMU!
#4BadKarma_JTPosted 3/9/2012 3:21:02 PM
Don't play bots... just start learning from actual game. Bots will teach you bad habits.
---
We can live like Jack and Sally if we want..Where you can always find me.. and We'll have Halloween on Christmas!
#5Ness26Posted 3/9/2012 4:05:32 PM

Don't play bots... just start learning from actual game. Bots will teach you bad habits.

In terms of learning the basics, bots are fine. It's not like 10 games against bots are going to get him into any trends that are impossible to break. It's better than him getting yelled at for 40+ minutes and getting discouraged to the point where he stops playing.
---
No amount of planning will ever replace dumb luck.
#6ConkerPosted 3/9/2012 4:16:30 PM
^Not only that, but he will have a better chance of jumping in a game and at least being able to understand a skill someone is talking about, or what someone else is asking him for, as opposed to being completely new and wondering "Oh what's that item and where do I get it?" for basic stuff, what skill to use for his own hero, and ways to farm creeps better.
---
#7funkyfritterPosted 3/9/2012 5:48:34 PM
Play with 1 game with each hero and no more. It's good to learn the basics before you dive in, but playing against bots will only reinforce bad habits in the long run. The matchmaking is pretty good at pairing you up with people of similar skill levels, so don't worry too much about playing against real people.
---
And with that...pow! I'm gone!
#8SolKarellenPosted 3/9/2012 5:55:28 PM
funkyfritter posted...
Play with 1 game with each hero and no more. It's good to learn the basics before you dive in, but playing against bots will only reinforce bad habits in the long run. The matchmaking is pretty good at pairing you up with people of similar skill levels, so don't worry too much about playing against real people.

Trial by fire, baby. Bots teach you nothing.
---
"I demand a plain roll!"
#9PoisonArcPosted 3/9/2012 5:55:58 PM
enough to understand how the game works, in my experience it's vastly easier to play against humans.
---
pew pew
#10ConkerPosted 3/9/2012 11:45:49 PM
SolKarellen posted...
funkyfritter posted...

Trial by fire, baby. Bots teach you nothing.

It's not that he's learning how to strategize against the opponent from bots, it's that he's learning what each hero does and how it does those things.

He really wouldn't even need to play against bots if there was a "Hero Training" mode where you could just virtually play and cast each hero's skills. Hell, why hasn't that been implemented yet!?

They should add a hero practice map where you can switch to any hero at any point in time and test their skills or see how items effect them. Genius! :P
---