from lol to dota

#1asswhuppinPosted 11/12/2012 11:36:38 AM
ok so i want to get into dota and am not knew to moba's and play league of legends regularly but i feel like there is going to be a completely different play style so what im asking is just from some basic tips and help

like what are some bad traits i might have from lol that wont work in dota?

what is similar and will basically play the same as lol?

and any other tips and help anyone is willing to give me

thanks in advance
---
You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.
#2kotech_xdocPosted 11/12/2012 11:41:42 AM
You will have to get used to denying creeps. Helps to win a lane. Same as last hitting but now you have to do it on your own.
---
FORZA MILAN
#3TufgyPosted 11/12/2012 11:42:59 AM
I think the biggest change for me when I made the transition was the items. LoL is all about pumping up your char as much as possible with stats from items, where as items in Dota2 have a more specific 'use' and you're not always looking to max out your build as fast as possible as you are in league. It's never bad to do so of course, it just isn't expected or even the right thing to do in a lot of cases.
#4kotech_xdocPosted 11/12/2012 11:43:39 AM
Also in LoL, you can always return to base with B. In DotA you have to always remember to buy a teleport scroll for quick movement throughout the map and instead of going back to base to get items you can use a courier that can bring stuff from the base to your location.
---
FORZA MILAN
#5BlueKotetsuPosted 11/12/2012 11:59:50 AM
say goodbye to camera lock if you used it
#6asswhuppin(Topic Creator)Posted 11/12/2012 12:29:37 PM
cheers this all seems good to know im goiong to start playing tonight one last question whats the difference in cahracters like?

are the roles all the same or are the new or different ones?

also whats with all this "strength" champ or "agility" champ?
---
You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.
#7TheGlowPosted 11/12/2012 12:37:37 PM
BlueKotetsu posted...
say goodbye to camera lock if you used it

Make a macro to spam F1 constantly.

Yea, no free teleporting to town for free.
Towers aren't as insta-death, so dont think you can hide behind your tower and be safe.

Good thing, all Hero's available immediately. No grinding to get lvl ups to get summoner spells, and talents and having to buy rune craps.
5 minute old account, 1 year old account, Both have same capabilities.
#8kotech_xdocPosted 11/12/2012 12:41:21 PM
Well, you have your basic jungle heroes and suicide/easy lane heroes. For starters, you want to be careful when going suicide lane (lane that takes you far from your tower and close to the enemy tower, for Radiant this is top and for Dire it's bottom). There are heroes that are best played in certain lanes, for example a lot of people like to play Shadow Fiend on the mid lane because of his great need to land a lot of last hits and denies. And strength, agility and intelligence just means what the hero will build into. This determines some of the item build but in my opinion, item builds in DotA greatly depend on each situation presented in a game.
---
FORZA MILAN
#9chaoslordisgoodPosted 11/12/2012 1:14:47 PM
asswhuppin posted...
are the roles all the same or are the new or different ones?

also whats with all this "strength" champ or "agility" champ?

Jungling is less important in dota than in LoL, because the combination of denying and weaker towers makes it possible to actually shut down a carry if their lane is outmatched. Supports are overall stronger, especially in light of the past few patches.

Strength, intelligence, and agility are the three stats all heroes have. Each hero has one of these as their primary stat, which means that each point of this stat gives them damage in addition to its usual benefits.
---
Lik-Sang was a criminal organization - C4111
#10XxPiccoloxXPosted 11/12/2012 1:26:30 PM
LoL is a slowed down, simplified, and more unbalanced version than dota from what I understand
---
Currently Playing: Dota 2 Steam ID: Cippola6389