Dotabuff shutdown

#31MusashiExtraPosted 1/25/2013 4:59:02 PM
Can you imagine? To keep their stuff from being seen, people would have to go to a THIRD PARTY site and choose to hide it? C'mon, it's clearly Dotabuff being dumb. You can't just scavenge data and put it up. It's a different matter if it's using a Valve supported API, but it wasn't. Using a security hole to gather information, then inviting people to spam icefrog when it's closed is just immature.
---
The shining light in the darkness...
Isn't it awful... to have wings... and not know how to use them... | Tega.
#32dubya_111Posted 1/25/2013 5:02:00 PM
What is all this bs about "privacy"? This is your online persona. I can understand maybe top players not wanting people to see their stats, but 99% of people shouldn't care whether someone can view their DOTA 2 stats. Why does Valve think this is a big deal?
---
"If you play halo for fun that means you either suck or you really suck" - GameFAQs god
#33funkyfritterPosted 1/25/2013 5:05:59 PM
dubya_111 posted...
What is all this bs about "privacy"? This is your online persona. I can understand maybe top players not wanting people to see their stats, but 99% of people shouldn't care whether someone can view their DOTA 2 stats. Why does Valve think this is a big deal?

Whether they should care or not is irrelevant, people do care about other people seeing their stats.
---
And with that...pow! I'm gone!
#34acesxhighPosted 1/25/2013 5:19:46 PM
That's too bad. Stats aren't your SSN or anything, it doesn't matter if people can see them.
---
Official Ubisoft hater of everywhere
http://i.imgur.com/teH4y.gif
#35wormsinatorPosted 1/25/2013 5:20:37 PM
The existence of these stats almost ruins the game for me. People play this game like these stats actually matter. I'm glad there isn't a way to track such crap.
#36xoAxeloxPosted 1/25/2013 5:21:30 PM
too many insecure nerds that play dota
---
PSN: axeei
XBL GT: axeeeeeeeeL
#37MezmorizorPosted 1/25/2013 5:26:27 PM(edited)
I feel like both sides are in the wrong.

Dotabuff did not need to post icefrog's personal e-mail, that is a pretty low one, and for them to just shut down and blame it on Valve isn't very classy.

I understand Valve is trying to protect TOS and whatnot, but let the kids play Dota and know their ranks, it's not that big of an issue, the dbr was private anyways.

"private"

They were going to show anybody who had plus everybody's DBR, and they were obviously planning on making the site nearly useless without buying plus in the future.

It was data mining. Illegal data mining.
---
what are "herpes"~samuelskip
#38PooiPosted 1/25/2013 5:32:15 PM
You are talking about data mining like it's a bad thing. Are you sure you're not confusing the general term with something like tracking your internet habits?

Also this entire quote is unfounded:

They were going to show anybody who had plus everybody's DBR, and they were obviously planning on making the site nearly useless without buying plus in the future.
#39heeeee1eeeeePosted 1/25/2013 5:45:15 PM
Good to hear.
---
Who Need's A SigNaTuRe !
#40EarthshakerPosted 1/25/2013 5:46:38 PM
You know, the "business statement" of dotabuff is like one of my forum posts when I complain about something, only much more public and about as humiliating. At least I don't tell people the emails of those who wronged me and dun gone stole mah baby, etc.
---
[Bracketeer from 1/15/05 to 1/15/08.] {Cogito ergo sum... cogito.}
Sept. 20th, 2010 - 5K karmaversary. ASURAS AREN'T NORN FURNITURE!