Dotabuff shutdown

#51DragooneerZeroPosted 1/25/2013 6:50:40 PM
Did all of the data from DOTAbuff influence metagame? Isn't data from an officially competitive game a good thing?

yeah, which is why valve is working on an API to allow extraction of metagame-relevant data in an officially supported (not to mention better-structured and less taxing on valve's servers) way
---
Is there much left to enumerate? What won't idle, well-fed, unfeeling people invent?
http://www.last.fm/user/AniranC
#52Lawl_b0tPosted 1/25/2013 6:56:18 PM
DragooneerZero posted...
Did all of the data from DOTAbuff influence metagame? Isn't data from an officially competitive game a good thing?

yeah, which is why valve is working on an API to allow extraction of metagame-relevant data in an officially supported (not to mention better-structured and less taxing on valve's servers) way

Oh, alright cool. Because I was going to say, is there a slight chance that they really did it because they didnt want all this data being public. [Because of its affects on the metagame and maybe conflicts with their future intentions with DOTAs direction]
---
RIP - Midnightsky - acc kamikaze'd - Diamond FC 3309 0154 6468
#53PooiPosted 1/25/2013 6:58:25 PM(edited)
DragooneerZero posted...
if you build your entire site's functionality around an unsupported method of interfacing with another service, you literally have zero right to complain when changes in that service disrupt the functionality of your site. this is like if someone's website had some ghetto non-API way of extracting data from twitter and then threw a tantrum when twitter updated and broke their method. valve is under no obligation to keep alive that functionality which it never pledged to support in the first place.

What was the supported method? The WebAPI was unsupported (i.e. it was down) until this whole debacle came about, meaning it came back up a day ago or so. Basically Valve didn't give a crap until Dotabuff came with this DBR thing.
#54PaperbladePosted 1/25/2013 6:58:01 PM
Dotabuff can still get all the information they had before except now they can't link it to specific accounts, which just kills DBR and personal profiles.

Statistics like hero win %, most common hero, common builds, etc. can still be done, but they're throwing a tantrum.
---
I dislike arguments of any kind. They are always vulgar, and often convincing. ~ The Importance of Being Earnest
#55DragooneerZeroPosted 1/25/2013 7:01:54 PM
What was the supported method?

it doesn't matter if there existed a supported method or not (in this case, there wasn't). continuing the twitter analogy, if you tried to make an application which accessed twitter before they released their API, you'd still be an manchild for complaining if a twitter update broke your application. the only way you're entitled to access other services is through their API. period. if there's no API, then you're out of luck until one is released.
---
Is there much left to enumerate? What won't idle, well-fed, unfeeling people invent?
http://www.last.fm/user/AniranC
#56SwaglockHolmesPosted 1/25/2013 7:03:22 PM
Pooi posted...
DragooneerZero posted...
if you build your entire site's functionality around an unsupported method of interfacing with another service, you literally have zero right to complain when changes in that service disrupt the functionality of your site. this is like if someone's website had some ghetto non-API way of extracting data from twitter and then threw a tantrum when twitter updated and broke their method. valve is under no obligation to keep alive that functionality which it never pledged to support in the first place.

What was the supported method? The WebAPI was unsupported (i.e. it was down) until this whole debacle came about, meaning it came back up a day ago or so. Basically Valve didn't give a crap until Dotabuff came with this DBR thing.

?

Nobody else tried to do it like this and monetize it until dotabuff did. It wasn't an issue for Valve that demanded action until now.

I really wish DBR was working, but Dotabuff's response is ****ing childish. Posting Icefrog's email and trying to instigate the community into histrionics, really?

I'll wait for another stats site to come along.
---
last.fm/user/woojae
https://dotabuff.com/players/20405591
#57MusashiExtraPosted 1/25/2013 7:03:32 PM
...If there's no supported method, you just don't do it. You don't just backdoor it 'cause you're not given proper access. Dotabuff is probably ran by a 16 year old neckbeard who's throwing a tantrum.
---
The shining light in the darkness...
Isn't it awful... to have wings... and not know how to use them... | Tega.
#58SwaglockHolmesPosted 1/25/2013 7:06:41 PM
also, valve didn't "shut down" dotabuff

how ****ing sensationalist
---
last.fm/user/woojae
https://dotabuff.com/players/20405591
#59PaperbladePosted 1/25/2013 7:10:38 PM
^ This is the biggest thing. Valve killed DBR and personal profiles for people who have their profiles set to private, nothing else. The rest is Dotabuff throwing a tantrum and trying to throw the community into hysterics, which if the forums are any indication, they've succeeded in doing pretty well.
---
I dislike arguments of any kind. They are always vulgar, and often convincing. ~ The Importance of Being Earnest
#60_Wargle_Posted 1/25/2013 7:11:28 PM
Once DB started charging for services it was all fair game on Valves part.
---
http://i53.tinypic.com/x0tnwx.jpg