Is there an explanation anywhere of the metagame relating to which lane to...

#1SicKillerKeefPosted 2/6/2013 2:41:34 AM
choose and why.
And why some hero's are better suited for different lanes depending on combinations of allies
---
Imagine if Jesus knew Kung-Fu - John Morrison
If creative has no ideas....then fire creative. - VRX3000
#2PirateKingflclPosted 2/6/2013 2:53:48 AM
Eh, it's more like you pick your lanes based on your enemy's team composition as compared to your own. I.E. Who can handle a lane against whom.

In certain scenarios you want your lanes to crush theirs and keep the heroes in that lane beat down. Other times you'll just want your hero to eke out levels without dying. It's very situationally dependent.

In less organized games you'll generally have two dual lanes and a solo middle. Other times you'll have one dual lane, two solo lanes, and a jungler. Or you might have two solos and a tri lane. There are even some games where the other team has such a strong lane that you just have to abandon it completely and have no one lane against it, for fear of just feeding that lane (such as a Gyro/Lesh/Tree tri lane or something similar).

So, in short: no, there's no guide that can tell you where to lane and why. It's just something you have to experiment with until you can start making informed decisions yourself.
---
Violence solves everything. If you have a problem that can't be solved with violence, you aren't using enough of it.
#3SicKillerKeef(Topic Creator)Posted 2/6/2013 3:06:01 AM
That's what I was afraid of, well, not afraid, just it adds a lot more to my research of the game.

Thanks for the help
---
Imagine if Jesus knew Kung-Fu - John Morrison
If creative has no ideas....then fire creative. - VRX3000
#4Neo_HeartlessPosted 2/6/2013 3:13:06 AM
One thing I'd like to know, is what the safe and suicide lanes are.

I'm assuming that the safe lane is the lane with your jungle, and the suicide lane is the one where the river is just after your tower?
---
[Wubeth Intensifies]
#5UltraCookiePosted 2/6/2013 3:13:18 AM
What level do you play at? Because if you're new the hero composition is going to be a lot less important than personal skill.
#6funkyfritterPosted 2/6/2013 3:32:16 AM(edited)
Neo_Heartless posted...
One thing I'd like to know, is what the safe and suicide lanes are.

I'm assuming that the safe lane is the lane with your jungle, and the suicide lane is the one where the river is just after your tower?

You got it right. On the Radiant side the safe lane is bottom and the suicide lane is top. It's the reverse for Dire.

As for the original question, here's a very general framework for typical laning in public games that in no way encompasses every viable option:

Mid: A level-dependent hero that ganks well
Safe: The team's primary farmer
Suicide: A hero that can farm or gain levels safely
Other: Flexible slots that can go anywhere. Could be a jungler, a lane support, a roamer or any combination.
---
And with that...pow! I'm gone!
#7Neo_HeartlessPosted 2/6/2013 3:32:26 AM
Ah, I was right, good. It made the most sense but I just wanted to make sure.

What I do need to learn, like TC, is who should go where. I think I'm still at the point in public games where people don't know or care. Hell yesterday I had to mid as Puck and all I managed to do was feed Luna. Thankfully her team didn't push so we came back to win.
---
[Wubeth Intensifies]
#8rabies_nekoPosted 2/6/2013 3:35:32 AM

What I do need to learn, like TC, is who should go where. I think I'm still at the point in public games where people don't know or care. Hell yesterday I had to mid as Puck and all I managed to do was feed Luna. Thankfully her team didn't push so we came back to win.

You told another person in another topic that needed to "stop complaining and get good", yet you fed as Puck against a Luna? Puck is a great mid hero and you probably should have been there. You should have also demolished a Luna.
#9funkyfritterPosted 2/6/2013 3:43:11 AM
rabies_neko posted...

You told another person in another topic that needed to "stop complaining and get good", yet you fed as Puck against a Luna? Puck is a great mid hero and you probably should have been there. You should have also demolished a Luna.

He's here asking for help so he can get better. Be nice.
---
And with that...pow! I'm gone!
#10Neo_HeartlessPosted 2/6/2013 3:46:28 AM
rabies_neko posted...

I stand by my words. If people just stopped complaining and focused on the game they'd soon learn how to counter things. Playing Puck mid was a first for me, and I had to spend my extra random gold on the courier since no one else would buy it. It's all a learning experience.

By the mid game I had gone from squishy banquet to Silence-Dust farting team destroyer. Luna couldn't keep up.
---
[Wubeth Intensifies]