Its not mid's job to win the side lanes

#1geno21Posted 2/7/2013 5:04:47 PM
I get that a lot of the most effective mid heroes, especially in pubs, are the ones who can control runes and gank effectively. QoP, TA, pudge, etc. are all very good at this and can stomp pretty hard in pubs. What I don't get though is why so many people seem to think that because heroes like that can do it, any hero that goes mid has an obligation to control runes and win top and bottom lanes as well. Basically the misconception is that if top/bot lose their lanes, the main reason was because mid didn't gank for them.

Ganks are nice, but people need to realize that its not middle lane's job to win the side lanes. Admittedly with certain gank heavy heroes like the aforementioned qop/ta/pudge, ganking should be a priority. There are many heroes that can sit mid and use the lane to farm very effectively to produce better results later in the game though, and I think that has a lot of validity as well. For example heroes like shadowfiend, necrolyte, OD, are solid mid choices, but aren't nearly as effective at ganking. If they are getting free farm mid that will help them snowball out of control because of the great start they should damn well do it, its much more beneficial having them get some core items and levels up early than to try and gank because a side lane can't do its job.

So just as a PSA: its not mid's job to win top and bottom lane. They should help if its convenient but its not their job. If you lose your side lane, don't blame mid, try and find out what you could have done better.
---
Unintentionally following in the footsteps of The_Great_Geno
#2DragooneerZeroPosted 2/7/2013 5:10:37 PM
idk some matchups in the side lanes can be really really poor and it very much might be true that there needs to be ganking in order for that lane to not turn out in a really unmanageable "enemy carry gets to freefarm as they please" sort of situation
---
Is there much left to enumerate? What won't idle, well-fed, unfeeling people invent?
http://www.last.fm/user/AniranC
#3iTz_SLammiPosted 2/7/2013 5:13:59 PM
geno21 posted...
What I don't get though is why so many people seem to think that because heroes like that can do it, any hero that goes mid has an obligation to control runes and win top and bottom lanes as well.

I disagree with you on the rune control part, even if you don't gank with runes, it frustrates the hell out of me to have the opposing mid get every rune and own our side lanes.

I will agree it isn't really the mid's fault you lose the lane in MOST cases.

I noticed this a while ago, that if you're winning your side lane, you will hardly request/whine for a gank, rather than if you're losing you will rage at your mid lane.
---
Twitter: @_SammiB
Steam: iTz_SLammi
#4Ultima_Weapon33Posted 2/7/2013 5:22:58 PM
If you confirm every rune or at least attempt to, and/or ward, it's 100% fine if you don't gank the side lanes. Farm up middle and destroy their tower, then go and destroy the enemy.
---
You'll see - Eternal love, that's what this is
This feeling that I just cannot resist... OD
#5AllHailTheDead6Posted 2/7/2013 5:28:49 PM
well if your middle you most likely have a nice exp lead(unless your awful) so why not leave for a little to go help other lanes out with ganks

seems like your not doing your job
---
PSN AllHailTheDead0
#6Tekken9292Posted 2/7/2013 6:30:36 PM
Leaving for a little to help out with a gank or two is fine, but people who roam endlessly after reaching level 6 and surrender middle lane to the enemy don't deserve to ever be in mid.
---
PSN ID: TekkenDevil9292
If it ain't broke... they'll break it.
#7KOTRsssPosted 2/7/2013 6:42:37 PM
If top or bottom loses because the other team's mid is ganking, then I'd most definitely blame mid.
---
Gamefaqs has taught us that academic fields like literature don't exist because of teenagers that say "well that's just your opinion and I disagree."
#8xoAxeloxPosted 2/7/2013 6:47:33 PM
KOTRsss posted...
If top or bottom loses because the other team's mid is ganking, then I'd most definitely blame mid.

if youre dying knowing that their mid hero is missing, especially if your mid warns you and you STILL die, its completely your fault
---
PSN: axeei
XBL GT: axeeeeeeeeL
#9funkyfritterPosted 2/7/2013 6:48:59 PM
PSA: People say silly things while playing and bad advice should just be ignored.
---
And with that...pow! I'm gone!
#10PooiPosted 2/7/2013 6:51:55 PM
It depends on what composition you have.