What would you recommend?

#1KanonKrossPosted 3/6/2013 10:52:13 PM
I mained Kayle in LoL, enjoying the Hybrid of Support/Carry. I would use the heals often when party members were nearby and punish with my semi-ranged attacks to assist ganks.

What character fits this role, so that I'm not pure support, and not expected to play hardcore as a main carry?

If there is more than one, list them all so I can look them up.
---
Haseo: Ovaaaaaaaan! Ovan: You don't have to scream so loud. I'm right here. Haseo: That's my line. SKEIIIIIITH! Ovan: *face palms* GT: KanonKross
#2Septimo_OmegaPosted 3/6/2013 11:03:01 PM
Dazzle is the most similar to Kayle, I think.
#3KanonKross(Topic Creator)Posted 3/6/2013 11:09:04 PM
I enjoyed my first look at Dazzle. I mained Priests in WoW, so the play seems like a lot of fun. Thanks for the suggestion.
---
Haseo: Ovaaaaaaaan! Ovan: You don't have to scream so loud. I'm right here. Haseo: That's my line. SKEIIIIIITH! Ovan: *face palms* GT: KanonKross
#4PirahnoPlantmanPosted 3/6/2013 11:14:22 PM
Hero that can be ranged or melee at will? Troll Warlord.

A support that can carry very well? Sven was played as a support until about 2 to 3 patches ago. Mostly played as a carry now. Though you can still play him as one. Just expect persecution, his ability to carry is pretty good if you get a few items and crits since he just cuts through enemy teams like swiss cheese.

"What character fits this role, so that I'm not pure support, and not expected to play hardcore as a main carry?"

By farm priority that means you'd like heroes that aren't the 1 or 4/5. 2/3 heroes like Bounty Hunter, Dark Seer, Windrunner, Centaur, Nyx, Batrider, Beastmaster, Viper, Magnus, Mirana, Lina and the likes of them. Heroes that have pretty good utility and kill potential while not particularly being the #1 priority ricelord hard carry or the #5 "eyeballs of poverty" support.
---
My vidya playlist. http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF7621EB320CD12E1
#5crazyjester32Posted 3/6/2013 11:14:34 PM
There really isnt. Unlike league the heroes in this game are pretty set in stone. If you try to semicarry with dazzle or pick up any carry item other than a medallion you will get raged it.

That being said, windrunner is most similiar.

Similiar in that can be played as a support or carryish,

Gyrocopter, leshrac,mirana, Slardar to an extent, venomancer, vengeful spirit.

Note with those last two, dont play as a carry, just some people do.
#6EarthshakerPosted 3/6/2013 11:16:38 PM
When comparing League champs to Dota heroes, it helps more to look at their skills and find the analogues.

Reckoning: pick your ranged slow of choice. Chen's Penitence will slow and add damage amplification, but it aids his entire team, not just Chen (unlike Kayle's, IIRC.) PA's Stifling Dagger will deal slow and light true damage, and is spammable, but has no damage amplification. Nice range, though.

Blessing or whatever the targetted movespeed/heal is called: there aren't too many "burst" heals in DotA, and none of them add a movespeed buff to the target when used. Omniknight can do it at range (with a slight cast time) and also deal pure damage in the area around the target. Dazzle can use Shadow Wave for a "light" burst heal that hits multiple units at the same time and also deals physical damage in an area around the allies. Most of the other heals are heal over times or areas. As for the movespeed buff, Dark Seer can *max* someones movespeed with Surge, as can Centaur Warrunner with his ult (with the side effect of damaging and slowing every enemy your hero collides with. Lastly, Ogre Magi can more mimic Nunu's Blood Boil through Bloodlust, which lasts a fair duration.

Flaming Sword attack thingy: Dragon Knight's ultimate, Elder Dragon form at level 2 or 3 turns his physical attack into a ranged splash-damage attack (and slows, in the case of level 3.) Note that the damage will still be considered physical damage. Similarly, if Tiny gets an Aghanim's Scepter, his range will extend and deal splash damage.

Bubble: there is no "targetted" Invulnerability. Puck can self-target with Phase Shift for no manacost, but obviously not help an ally with it. Omniknight's ultimate, Guardian Angel, gives all allies in an area around him nigh-invulnerability... to physical damage (though exceptions can still bust through it.) One of Omniknight's standard spells, however, gives a target magic immunity to boot, and if he casts that before casting his ultimate, his ultimate will overwrite the magic immunity and provide both physical and magical invulnerability. Still can get murdered by certain things like Axe's Culling Blade, however.

As for saving a teammate's bacon from afar, Dazzle can use one of his basic skills, Shallow Grave, on a hero. They don't become invulnerable, but save the aforementioned Culling Blade, they will be unkillable, similar to Tryndamere's ultimate.
---
[Bracketeer from 1/15/05 to 1/15/08.]
Writer for Lime Green Network, a gaming and general media blog - limegreennetwork.com
#7EarthshakerPosted 3/6/2013 11:22:52 PM
crazyjester32 posted...
Unlike league the heroes in this game are pretty set in stone. If you try to semicarry with dazzle or pick up any carry item other than a medallion you will get raged it.

While I do agree you will get raged at, I have to disagree with this first part. I have seen a Techies carry before (however laughably low he was hitting for, he STILL had absurd range and the threat of suicide,) a Void be the roaming ward-bimbo, and a Crystal Maiden jungle.

And I myself am a fan of support Luna and semi-carry Lina.
---
[Bracketeer from 1/15/05 to 1/15/08.]
Writer for Lime Green Network, a gaming and general media blog - limegreennetwork.com
#8KanonKross(Topic Creator)Posted 3/7/2013 12:11:46 AM
I got frustrated with playing Dazzle, mostly because the itemization tells you to get Mana regen, but not too much because late game you wont need it, then gives you a lot of support only suggestions for items. *shrugs and looks at the other suggestions*
---
#9Shadowfire14Posted 3/7/2013 1:37:11 AM
There really isnt. Unlike league the heroes in this game are pretty set in stone. If you try to semicarry with dazzle or pick up any carry item other than a medallion you will get raged it.

I heavily disagree with this statement. Most heroes are incredibly flexible and can be played to whatever the situation calls for (within reason). A Bounty Hunter can be a strong side-carry or semi-support with his great ability to give gold with Track, but can also do some decent right click and burst when necessary. Windrunner is strongest as a support, but scales decently with items. Even Dazzle can really hurt if you just stack negative armor on him like a mad man.

Generally speaking, people won't rage at you unless your build makes absolutely no sense and you can't back it up. I have yet to see someone actually throw a fit because CM built a Crystalis or because Lina built a Butterfly. Believe it or not, the game is a lot more open ended than League.
---
Mage of Mind || Feesh of Jungle || http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/duty_calls.png
"The League of Yordles, plus one fish." - FoxyAreku
#10UltraCookiePosted 3/7/2013 1:49:06 AM
KanonKross posted...
I got frustrated with playing Dazzle, mostly because the itemization tells you to get Mana regen, but not too much because late game you wont need it, then gives you a lot of support only suggestions for items. *shrugs and looks at the other suggestions*

Then don't follow the recommended item build? That build isn't intended for Dazzle to carry at all.

My suggestion to your topic is simple: Don't main. Play a wide variety of heroes. If you're new, your role hardly even matters because you're just going to be in 3-4 carry stacks anyway.