Becoming well-rounded

#1RealYoraePosted 3/20/2013 8:41:41 AM
Hey all, I've been training a friend in the ways of dota and while they are always getting better I am trying to make them more versatile with hero selection so when we queue into a pub we can be flexible with our teammates.

I've been trying to sort out different types of heroes a person would need to practice and been wondering what all types of hero situations do you think a person needs to be considered well rounded, not just to be able to fit into a lineup but core skills a player should have in playing the game in general as well.

These ones are the obvious core types

Mid - Ganker
Mid - Farmer
Carry
Support
Initiator
Jungler
Ganker

These are the things I am thinking more of

Micro - Need to practice, whether PL or Enchantress, micro takes effort

Stealth - Always good to have one with some element of stealth to force detection purchases or pubstomp

Level 1 FB - Venomancer says hello

Skillshot - You never want Pudge missing his hooks or Mirana shooting arrows into the nether

Global Presence - You can't run from heaven. Takes map awareness to kill steal that almost dead keeper that's leashed and stunned and surrounded by 3 people.

Blink - Takes practice to get the feel for the ranges or you just end up in some trees or worse, stuck on ledge in plain sight.

Juking - Puck out!

What are some other skills that a hero needs?
---
It is not things, but opinions about things that have absolutely no existence, which have so deranged mankind! - Nietzsche
#2The_PwnisherPosted 3/20/2013 8:43:52 AM
For the ranges, you can set an indicator.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EELhEguhU8M
#3RealYorae(Topic Creator)Posted 3/20/2013 8:57:25 AM
wait you mean the little green circle that shows up when you highlight a skill right? As a button presser though would that still work? Is it an option you turn on that just always shows hook/blink/AA ranges or something?
---
It is not things, but opinions about things that have absolutely no existence, which have so deranged mankind! - Nietzsche
#4The_PwnisherPosted 3/20/2013 9:09:55 AM(edited)
I've seen on Admiral Bulldogs stream he had the circle indicator around his hero for the range of Blink Dagger without hovering over it. Not sure of the command you would put in the autoexec.cfg file however.
Edit: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=337793
This will explain all the things you can customize in Dota 2 by creating an autoexec.cfg file in the Dota 2 folder.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EELhEguhU8M
#5nanojatePosted 3/20/2013 9:33:42 AM(edited)
In console, typing in

dota_range_display 1200

will display a constant green circle around your dude of 1200 radius (experience range). you can change the 1200 to be whatever.
---

--
#6RealYorae(Topic Creator)Posted 3/20/2013 9:52:07 AM
nanojate posted...
In console, typing in

dota_range_display 1200

will display a constant green circle around your dude of 1200 radius (experience range). you can change the 1200 to be whatever.

That is awesome! I appreciate your guys advice. When we play later tonight I will try and get that setup for them and see how it works.
---
#7acesxhighPosted 3/20/2013 12:12:04 PM
PL doesn't really take any micro
---
Official Ubisoft hater of everywhere
http://i.imgur.com/teH4y.gif
#8RealYorae(Topic Creator)Posted 3/20/2013 12:25:56 PM
acesxhigh posted...
PL doesn't really take any micro

For someone without any RTS experience it is difficult to A-move the copies into each jungle camp and come back after each camp clears to move the new illusions onto the next camp. Shift queuing the camps doesn't really work since the new illusions won't follow the old ones without new input. Plus you have whatever you are doing in the lane.

I consider this micro managing and a good place to start for someone new to any form of micro. Do you disagree with this and if so why?

Enchantress has less micro for the movement commands but more in her creep control since her creatures will have additional abilities that will aid her in battle that need to be cast and I consider this a different kind of micro. Both take practice and are a good choices for newer players to work on micro to become well-rounded in my opinion.
---
#9acesxhighPosted 3/20/2013 2:13:30 PM
You can just set a control group to all illusions and just have them push down a lane. They're just illusions so they don't give a bounty at all and you never need to Tab to any illusions to use skills.
---
TIME TO IMPACT EXCITER
http://i.imgur.com/teH4y.gif
#10RealYorae(Topic Creator)Posted 3/21/2013 8:55:09 AM
Does anyone have any other suggestions for things a new player need to learn about playing certain heroes or mechanics.. warding should probably be up there.
---