People complain a lot when a team pulls some 5 man dota.

#1YoungAdultLinkPosted 4/21/2013 11:36:21 PM
I know, throwing all 5 people together isn't exactly the best strategy, but if it's 10 minutes in and you're down a few kills, getting some quick 5 man ganks can be a great way to turn things around. But people feel the need to complain about it. Like, they're just far enough ahead to have a discernible advantage, but they don't think the losing team should do what works.

It almost seems to me like watching a newbie play a fighting game against an experienced opponent and winning by mashing buttons. The experienced guy loses, and then says that the guy who won was doing it all wrong. And hey, maybe a quick 5 man push for a tower and some kills early on costs you the game, does that make it a bad strategy just because it's not usually done?

At my level of play it's not such a big thing, since most of the time you can't convince a team to even try and work together, let alone do a 5 man push, but I see complainers in matches put up on youtube and the commentators all seem to look down on the tactic, even though it succeeds.

And besides, if you can manage to hold off a team that pulls an early rush like this, you have a good advantage in kills and they're down because they haven't been laning properly. If anything, you should be hoping they try an early rush on you.
---
Once we perfect building Mechs, I expect there to be a factory in Mexico pumping out a brand call Mechsican. I wanna buy me a Mechsican.
steamid: Rohchya
#2Annuit_CoeptisPosted 4/21/2013 11:46:01 PM
Somehow I get the feeling that one person in one game complained a lot and you're still sorta mad that you lost in the ensuing trashtalking.

...I'm not judging though.
#3YoungAdultLink(Topic Creator)Posted 4/21/2013 11:47:31 PM
Nope. Was watching an old video from Purge and I saw someone in it go off on his team for it. It's just one of those things that seems odd and worth discussing. Was Purge plays Lich, if you're interested in checking.
---
Once we perfect building Mechs, I expect there to be a factory in Mexico pumping out a brand call Mechsican. I wanna buy me a Mechsican.
steamid: Rohchya
#4shingaidenPosted 4/21/2013 11:48:52 PM
I wasn't aware this was an issue.

5 man seems normal enough to me.

Do whatever works and deal with it. Bunch of babies.
#5Annuit_CoeptisPosted 4/22/2013 12:10:49 AM(edited)
Look on the bright side, he'd get muted if he did this today right?

(I have no idea I didn't watch the replay)
#6aalniusPosted 4/22/2013 12:46:33 AM
YoungAdultLink posted...
I know, throwing all 5 people together isn't exactly the best strategy, but if it's 10 minutes in and you're down a few kills, getting some quick 5 man ganks can be a great way to turn things around. But people feel the need to complain about it. Like, they're just far enough ahead to have a discernible advantage, but they don't think the losing team should do what works.

It almost seems to me like watching a newbie play a fighting game against an experienced opponent and winning by mashing buttons. The experienced guy loses, and then says that the guy who won was doing it all wrong. And hey, maybe a quick 5 man push for a tower and some kills early on costs you the game, does that make it a bad strategy just because it's not usually done?

At my level of play it's not such a big thing, since most of the time you can't convince a team to even try and work together, let alone do a 5 man push, but I see complainers in matches put up on youtube and the commentators all seem to look down on the tactic, even though it succeeds.

And besides, if you can manage to hold off a team that pulls an early rush like this, you have a good advantage in kills and they're down because they haven't been laning properly. If anything, you should be hoping they try an early rush on you.

put it this way if you mash buttons every match your likely to lose more matches then you win and a good player will still beat you regardless as was shown when a fighting game champion (cant remember whether it was doa or sf) beat anyone who challenged her without looking at the screen because the challengers just mashed buttons whilst she had an exact strategy.

same thing with 5 man dota yeh occasionally it will work but against a good team it won't and you lose out on alot of farm for it which is why you'll rarely see pro teams do five man dota games where they just roam as five early on. if your behind you leave your carry to farm and you rotate your supports to gank mid.
---
http://dotabuff.com/players/89497302
#7KOTRsssPosted 4/22/2013 12:55:15 AM
5 man dota is only 5 man dota when it works. Any other time it's just getting kicked around.
---
Gamefaqs has taught us that academic fields like literature don't exist because of teenagers that say "well that's just your opinion and I disagree."
#8SLYoshiPosted 4/22/2013 3:37:34 AM
KOTRsss posted...
5 man dota is only 5 man dota when it works.

So a strategy is only called that particular strategy when it works?
If you try to turtle and that doesn't work, it isn't turtling?
#9aalniusPosted 4/22/2013 5:57:46 AM
SLYoshi posted...
KOTRsss posted...
5 man dota is only 5 man dota when it works.

So a strategy is only called that particular strategy when it works?
If you try to turtle and that doesn't work, it isn't turtling?

no if you turtle and it doesn't work its called losing
---
http://dotabuff.com/players/89497302
#10ScarletShinPosted 4/22/2013 6:45:47 AM(edited)
If mashing buttons in a fighting game gets you wins, then your opponents aren't as good as they think they are. This makes them whiners, not actual skilled players.

Cases in point:
-Eddie Gordo/Tiger/Christy all have delays in their kicks. It's standard Capoeira and the time it takes them to do a hand stand can easily be the same time to kick them off balance. There's a reason no one uses them in competitive play.
-Kilik has range, but not much power, speed or juggling.
-No one dares use the standard shoto-tactic (projectile, projectile, anti-air... rinse repeat) after KoF 95. Grapplers (like Clark), especially will have a field day with you.
-Despite the promise of many hits and combos, Dudley is never used in competitive play because any competitive player can parry all of Dudley's punches. Dudley is the standard practice-point for parries.
-Anyone on the move has better reflexes than anyone lying in wait. This is how campers get killed.

Win your games. If your tactic works, then anyone calling it bad is only insulting himself... assuming that that tactic is legal.
---
We do what we can because we must.
http://imgur.com/hjA3Glr