Is Valve adding their own, original heroes after beta?

#11JapantiesPosted 4/25/2013 7:09:44 PM
WC3 DotA is HUGE in China. I can see Icefrog being okay with dropping DotA only when the large majority of Chinese DotA players switch to Dota 2. And that's going to be a while considering how easy it is to get DotA to run on really old hardware, and how many different clients there are in China to play DotA with.

The recent licencing of Dota 2 in China is a pretty big deal, and a large step in the right direction if the goal is to switch everyone over from DotA to Dota 2.
---
Because normal panties just aren't good enough
#12Harry_McKenziePosted 4/25/2013 7:47:44 PM
God I hate newbies, first of all Valve knows better than to ''think'' of doing something of their own with dota. I think they have stated already that Icefrog has the final say on everything Dota2 balance and hero related.

Secondly Dota1 has at least 10 times more people playing than dota2. EVERYTHING added to dota2 comes from dota1 so no it wasn't a miracle invention of Dota2 engine, not to mention everything is ported pretty poorly and there are still tons of inconsistencies and little details lost in the process. Map itself isn't ported perfectly which is clearly obvious at mid towers where you can't really make 2 steps on Radiant highground without tower raping you. The way fog works also done really bad compared to 1 - it is now almost impossible to truly juke someone because heroes don't lose attack focus on someone who goes into fog and instantly start attacking first milisecond someone is visible. I can go on and on just about the way fog dumbed down dota2.
Don't even get me started on the artstyle which sucks unless you spend 100's on new outfits that make heroes look nice.

Dota2 is a good game but Dota1 is a great game. We can only expect Dota2 to start shining after everything is ported and working correctly.
The good thing about dota2 is that its much easier for Icefrog to create new stuff because he doesn't have to use outdated wc3 code and he has a team of people who will do the dirty work but it also has a downside of creating stupid inconsistencies.
---
Born 2 the life. True 2 the code. Bad 2 the bone.
#13elysdeonPosted 4/25/2013 8:13:37 PM
Japanties posted...
WC3 DotA is HUGE in China. I can see Icefrog being okay with dropping DotA only when the large majority of Chinese DotA players switch to Dota 2. And that's going to be a while considering how easy it is to get DotA to run on really old hardware, and how many different clients there are in China to play DotA with.

The recent licencing of Dota 2 in China is a pretty big deal, and a large step in the right direction if the goal is to switch everyone over from DotA to Dota 2.

I'll agree with this, china is a massive part of the fanbase and they don't have access to dota 2 (but they will very soon). So no it wouldn't make much sense to leave dota 1 behind just yet.

But once dota 2 has taken root and all the heroes are ported over then it's time to finally move on.
---
So you think I don't have a wife? I so do have one and she is HUGE, bigger than yours and way cooler.
you just can't see her -Lynx the Dark
#14Ant_to_the_maxPosted 4/25/2013 8:38:38 PM
Dota 2 need lan out or 1 will never die.
---
http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/4/26/129167586636177506.gif
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198007133925
#15ralloszekPosted 4/25/2013 10:35:17 PM
Ant_to_the_max posted...

This doesn't use peer to peer based connections like wc3 or other rts games did.
It relies on valve's servers to host matches which means lan will never be available unless they redesign the game for it to work like that.
#16ThePlasmaStormPosted 4/25/2013 11:08:31 PM
Ant_to_the_max posted...

This doesn't use peer to peer based connections like wc3 or other rts games did.
It relies on valve's servers to host matches which means lan will never be available unless they redesign the game for it to work like that.

dota 2 already has custom servers
you can also make your own local server

and there's already a grayed out lan tab in the main menu

so lan is coming
---
`._Out! Out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow_.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/totalratchetfan/newersiggy.png
#17ralloszekPosted 4/25/2013 11:17:28 PM
Ah ok thanks for letting me know.
#18vegetakenPosted 4/26/2013 10:40:58 AM
Well depends if they allow some different game modes. I really like playing imba mode and is a good reason to fire up wc3 every now and then. Its nice to try out other heroes and you can play on a lan (which actually im not too sure if you can play offline with dota with the whole steam thingy)
---
axe<great axe<greater axe<greatest axe. no need to thank me. ~_Emissary_
PSN: Sadboosh
#19droid_killerPosted 4/26/2013 11:09:23 AM
What makes Dota 1 popular (especially here in SEA-South-East Asia) is:

1) LAN party - Internet is here slow compared to the rest of the world. More often than not, people here who play Dota have no internet connection. So just get a bunch of friends who have weak/cheap laptop, and you can enjoy the best multi-player game in the world.

2) Dota 1 can play even on older laptops. It's not so graphically demanding.

Here in our university, if we don't have much academic work in our hands, we just say, "Hey let's play Dota 2 on 2" if there's only four of us. We got professors/advisers here saying "Come on let's have 1 game of dota" and all of a sudden it's a 5 v 5 game. All without the need for internet.

Dota is like drinking beer with your bros.
---
Birth by Sleep-ing together
#20iTz_SLammiPosted 4/26/2013 11:19:42 AM
I say we all have a dota 1 inhouse one day!! Im so down for that
---
Twitter: @_SammiB
Steam: iTz_SLammi