gg...

#1thehelpfulgamerPosted 4/26/2013 2:21:36 AM
You know what that means? Nothing. It doesn't mean a damn thing. It's supposed to mean something. But it doesn't. And it hasn't for a long time. Because everyone types it at the end of every game, regardless of the results. Steam roll victory? GG. Slow, methodical win from having 3 lane pushers in All Random? GG. You can't even use it ironically if, say, the whole enemy team DCs. It has no meaning and thus irony can't be applied.

As such, from now on, whenever I see GG being used incorrectly (see: 99% of it's usage) I will respond with FY. And unlike your meaningless, banal acronym, mine actually has meaning as I'll be correctly describing what you should be doing.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to continue playing KOTOR because I'd much rather listen to Carth than see GG anymore today. At least he doesn't die stupidly every time I turn around.

FY
---
Bowser: Keeping it real for over 25 years.
#2AnnihilatorSolPosted 4/26/2013 2:30:11 AM
gg
#3AlgernonMabusPosted 4/26/2013 2:34:35 AM
You're a bad person.
---
I have never taken the high road. But I tell other people to, 'cause then there's more room for me on the low road.
#4AnnihilatorSolPosted 4/26/2013 2:37:20 AM
He is a helpful gamer, what part of that is bad?

AlgernonMabus posted...
You're a bad person.
#5Julian LunaPosted 4/26/2013 2:39:11 AM
gg is the equivalent of shaking hands with your opponents after competing IRL... it does not mean you thought the game was good, it's just a sign of respect
---
8 inches and counting
#6KOTRsssPosted 4/26/2013 2:39:58 AM
That's because "good game" is something you say AFTER a game has ended. In games like dota it's used as a way to call the game before it has ended.

It would be like a baseball team down by 10 runs in the bottom of the 9th saying "good game" to the other team.

"good game" originated around being a good sport. "gg" generally centers around not being a good sport.
---
Gamefaqs has taught us that academic fields like literature don't exist because of teenagers that say "well that's just your opinion and I disagree."
#7Alternative_1Posted 4/26/2013 2:41:26 AM
KOTRsss posted...
That's because "good game" is something you say AFTER a game has ended. In games like dota it's used as a way to call the game before it has ended.

It would be like a baseball team down by 10 runs in the bottom of the 9th saying "good game" to the other team.

"good game" originated around being a good sport. "gg" generally centers around not being a good sport.

What? No. Offensive gg's are far less common than just, y'know, being sportsmanlike.
---
Russia is NOT in Western Europe.
#8AnnihilatorSolPosted 4/26/2013 2:48:48 AM
If you find gg offensive, then that means you take everything as that. The problem lies with you being sensitive. Bitter, Salty tears yum :)

Seriously, what if there's no such thing as sportsmanship that is shown through things like these, then it's not a sport really, it's more of a competition than anything. The spirit of sports is missing.

Alternative_1 posted...
KOTRsss posted...

What? No. Offensive gg's are far less common than just, y'know, being sportsmanlike.
#9Neo_HeartlessPosted 4/26/2013 2:52:35 AM
My only issue with gg is when one team completely stomps another. You know, like so badly the game ends 40 - 5, and the winning team are the first to go gg.

Yeah, it was a good game for them, but not for who they stomped. In those situations I'd rather people not said anything. The losing team already has to deal with the indignity of being stomped into the ground without the otherteam then rubbing their faces in it.
---
[Wubeth Intensifies]
#10Chris386333Posted 4/26/2013 3:04:12 AM
I for one love the 5 minute gg calls that happen.