How to deal with rune guessing as mid?

#1BlazeAssassinPosted 1/24/2014 10:26:49 AM
I am trying to get better at mid and people guessing the rune really is tough for me to manage. Lots of the time I will be doing pretty good at mid, doing good job of harassing the other mid and getting last hits. So now when our bottles are both empty and I push the wave to try and get it but he has already left for top or bot and guesses correctly now he gets to bottle even though it means he will miss a few creeps of exp and gold. But what he does get is the rune control and if he leaves so early to guess I can't beat him to it so its just 50/50 and if he gets it right he will get the bottle so now I have no regen in my bottle and he has a full one plus whatever rune and now for the next 2 mins at least, he will have the upper hand in mid. I have had mid games where I've outplayed the guy so much but he just happens to guess right 2 or 3 times in a row and I crow, and play very defensive depending on what rune he has. It is easy for him to make up for the exp and gold he lost because now he has the upper hand on lane since I can't trade with him anymore.

Even though its 50% it feels like closer to 75% when they get it right so I just don't know how to deal with this? I can try to guess to but I personally think its a dumb thing to do if you get it wrong you just wasted gold/exp for nothing.
#2AkuturaPosted 1/24/2014 10:27:41 AM
Ask your supports to ward runes.
---
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Dr_Turaku/ || Full TF2 vs. Topics: http://pastebin.com/cQ0r2hUC || http://dotabuff.com/players/78527145
#3ScarletShinPosted 1/24/2014 10:29:56 AM
As you already realize it's 50/50, the only way to secure the ward in your favor is to have a buddy stand by each rune location as it spawns. Warding will give you vision, but not necessarily secure it.

But that's actually too much to ask for. Warding the a rune spot is a given (in higher level games) so outside of that, it's luck based.

Dealwithit.jpg
---
...that's just ridiculous; no-one beats Sub-Zero.
#4GunmaN1905Posted 1/24/2014 10:33:41 AM
You push out the wave so he can't leave for the rune because there are 4 creeps in his face.
Losing a whole wave isn't worth it usually.
Have 1 rune ward, even if you have to buy it yourself. Ward 1by1 so you have 12mins of vision.
It also depens on the matchup.
You can't contest runes against heroes with great mobility, such as puck, unless you have similar kind of mobility.
---
PSN: GunmaN1905
Steam: GunmaN1905
#5ChaapPosted 1/24/2014 10:42:46 AM
bottle crow
---
"Some people are just dumb"
#6Mey_Erboy36Posted 1/24/2014 10:47:57 AM
You can have one support (or offlaner) head to one rune location while you head to the other location about 5 second before they spawn. This usually insures at least one of you grab it.
---
'Nuff Said
#7afireinside7844Posted 1/24/2014 11:28:23 AM
When the 45 second creep wave comes, you should kill the creeps quickly by auto attacking or using some aoe nuke (which most mid heroes have) so by slightly before the rune spawn you can secure or contest it without missing creeps, and your opponent will have to miss some creeps if they want the rune. You said you do this, but just restating because pushing the lane fast enough can make them miss every creep to the tower which really hurts. If you see them going to guess for the rune and you are a hero like Puck or QoP who could probably make it there before them, go beat them to it and make them miss exp as well as the rune. As other heroes you can just harass them away from the rune when they leave, knowing that if it's not there they will end up dying, they usually back off and you can secure it for yourself if it spawns.

Some heroes will just have better rune control than you and you should realize that and change your play to either make it harder for them to rune control, or just harass them so much early that they get behind and the rune only helps them catch up instead of pushing them ahead in the lane. Then yet again, some matchups you just have to deal with the fact that they will probably get runes and you should focus on farm and denies and try to control the lane like getting high ground advantage while they spend their time getting runes, so you have at least some advantage. Getting extra regen if you know your opponent will secure the runes can also help so you don't get kicked out of lane so quickly.
#8Metroid_CrimePosted 1/24/2014 11:41:25 AM
I feel you TC, I've lost mid match ups because the rune decided to spawn on one side five times in a row. It got to the point where I started irrationally cursing at the Dota gods.
---
Feed the poor. Eat the rich.
Anti-Noob Fortress of Veteraness Council Member
#9-GhosT-Posted 1/24/2014 11:52:06 AM
^ That just happened last match, and I was Zeus bottle mid. Kept going top expecting it to be there..
---
I'm A Man of Principles, Damn Near Invincible
#10acesxhighPosted 1/24/2014 12:06:00 PM
Rune luck is just another awesome thing about Lucking of the Ancients.
---
TIME TO IMPACT EXCITER
http://i.imgur.com/teH4y.gif