New to Dota 2: General Advice?

#1deathisajerkPosted 3/28/2014 4:58:37 PM
tl;dr Need help determining what's different from other moba's objective and role wise.

I've been playing what has been deemed as more casual moba's such as League and most recently Infinite Crisis for the past six months and have gotten a general gist of how the game flow takes place. I understand freezing lanes, counter jungling, and generally working as a team instead of diving into their whole team as the adc.

I have wanted to try Dota, but the difficulty curve based on what my friends have told me is fairly steep considering there is so much to it. So I have a few questions to help me transfer over and give it a fair try.

Is it still considered to be standard having a top tank/ mid mage/ bot adc with support and a jungler?

What are some good beginning/early buys for specific roles?

What heroes are considered the most fun to play?

What buffs are available on the map?

What are a few things I am likely to do wrong in my first experiences with Dota that would be considered correct in other moba's?

Thanks for any help.
---
Liquid Nitrogen is dangerous because it can freeze anything in seconds, which begs the question... Will it blend?
#2funkyfritterPosted 3/28/2014 5:17:58 PM
Is it still considered to be standard having a top tank/ mid mage/ bot adc with support and a jungler?

Not even close, roles as you know them don't exist in dota. Some heroes work best when they spend the early game farming while others excel in a more supportive role applying early pressure, but laning is more about having a strong game plan rather than trying to fit into a specific optimal setup. Since you're starting out 2/1/2 lanes will be the standard, don't worry too much about it until you have a better grasp of the game.

Heroes are free, if someone looks fun give them a try.

Everyone has their own opinions, but as a beginner who came from League you should probably stay away from meepo, invoker and chen.

Killing roshan drops an item called the aegis of immortality, which brings the holder back to life when they die. Towers are the main objective to fight over, they give global gold and are important for map control.

What are a few things I am likely to do wrong in my first experiences with Dota that would be considered correct in other moba's?

You'll inevitably do a lot of things wrong, it's to be expected. Go into the experience with an open mind and try not to rely on what you know from other games. If you enjoy the game you'll pick things up naturally as you play.
---
And with that...pow! I'm gone!
#3deathisajerk(Topic Creator)Posted 3/28/2014 5:25:15 PM
I meant what items are considered good buys for what roles, but thank you this will help!
---
Liquid Nitrogen is dangerous because it can freeze anything in seconds, which begs the question... Will it blend?
#4Hylian50Posted 3/28/2014 5:36:08 PM
Dota doesn't have a set laning or role meta, so you can play and strategise depending on the situation. Generally have 2 heroes who don't need farm (read: supports). Usually put your most farm dependent hero in the safe lane. (top for dire, bot for radiant). 90% of the pub games you'll play will have solo mid, and 2 heroes in the side lanes, so just do that.

Buy wards and courier if you're supporting. Usually start with a few iron branches and some regen on most heroes. If playing a melee hard carry, consider a quelling blade to make last hitting easier. If soloing a lane as a melee, you might want to start with a stout shield. If solo mid, rush a bottle. Buy dust and sentrys if they have an invisible hero. If no one else is building a mekanism, you probably should. Blink dagger is good on most heroes. Don't build +damage on illusion heroes. Don't build vanguard. Most of the time don't build Vlads. Only build Battle Fury if you're playing anti mage. (But please, don't play anti mage in a pub).

The most popular heroes are ones that can either snowball really quickly like pudge, riki, sniper, bloodseeker, or have difficult to land yet powerful skill shots like pudge, mirana, invoker. It'll be no surprise that Pudge is the most popular hero.

Runes spawn in one of two positions in the river every minute, and can be picked up and used or collected in a bottle for later use.

Sitting in lane cheering on the creeps as a support is the most common wrong thing I see in pubs, but since most people do that anyway even up to 4k MMR you probably shouldn't worry about it yet.
#5funkyfritterPosted 3/28/2014 5:37:49 PM(edited)
Item builds are very hero dependent, but some of the most versatile items are arcane boots, phase boots, power treads, magic wand and drum of endurance.
---
And with that...pow! I'm gone!
#6Vengeful_IIPosted 3/28/2014 5:48:24 PM(edited)
deathisajerk posted...

Most of the time, as a beginner, you'll have a 2-1-2 set up. Occasionally someone will jungle. For now, just know the difference between safelane and hardlane. Safelane is top for Dire, bottom for Radiant (or whatever lane is touching the jungle). In general, the top priority carry and a support should be in the safelane. The less farm dependent carry should typically farm the hardlane in a 2-1-2 set up. If someone is jungling, the solo lane should most often be the hardlane (characters that can solo hardlane are typically those with good escapes). This is all you really need to know for now.

deathisajerk posted...

For now, you should always buy regen (tangos+ ONE salve, maybe a clarity or two on supports or characters with small mana pools). Ironwood branches are called gg branches for a good reason. The early stats and ability to build into wand are amazing. As such, magic stick->wand is solid. Wraith bands, bracers, null talismans are good for stats early on the corresponding hero. Brown boots is typically the first item you want to buy after you leave fountain. Drums of endurance is solid on just about anyone. Yasha is most likely good on any agility carry.

deathisajerk posted...

People love Pudge but you're gonna get a lot of hate and he's tough to play effectively. It's all opinion otherwise. For a beginner I'd recommend Zeus, Viper, Warlock, Sven as fun heroes to play

deathisajerk posted...

Roshan drops Aegis of the Immortal on death, which grants a revival to whoever is holding it (it takes an inventory spot). Also runes spawn every 2 minutes at one of two locations in river. These grant invis, illusions, double damage, etc. Otherwise the only buffs are form jungle creeps if controlled via Helm of the Dominator, Chen, Enchantress, etc.

deathisajerk posted...

Thinking in terms of a meta is pretty silly in Dota. Lots of heroes can play multiple roles. You can deny your own creeps to keep the enemy from getting gold+full exp. Same goes for towers. It's important to deny both. You can't spam spells in lane for the most part. Just about anyone can solo anyone RUTHLESSLY early on with out positioning/playing. 80% of heroes can solo just about anyone RUTHLESSLY late game.

Hope any of that helps.
#7BS_InfinitePosted 3/28/2014 6:00:29 PM
Very fun heroes for a new player:
Spirit Breaker (semicarry)
Lina (support)
BroodMother (pusher)
Ogre Magi (support)
Warlock (support)
---
--
-
#8Annuit_CoeptisPosted 3/28/2014 11:12:22 PM
Bloodseeker, Stealth Assassin, Lycan.

Right click stuff, get kills, win.
#9TornarusPosted 3/29/2014 12:54:19 AM
Just keep playing riki
---
Who could have thought that Traitoro was a traitor?!
#10c_monyetPosted 3/29/2014 1:57:43 AM
Play with your friends.
I'm gonna recite an advice I read on the old LoTA board long ago.

"Dota is fun when you play it with your friends, and not when it's not."

I'm pretty sure every dota players started out playing with their friends.
Try to learn this game from the scratch by yourself is the slow and painful way to know the game.
---
ll\\..//ll.. _..ll\\.ll.\\.//.//_\\.._ll_
ll.\\//.ll.ll_ll.ll.\\ll...ll...\\_ .....\\_