Reporting on the competitive ability of Wind-Up monsters (wall of text incoming)

#1mariokirbyfoxPosted 5/24/2011 4:44:06 PM(edited)
80/80

For the past few days, i have been testing how to work Wind-Up monsters on Lackey CCG (Edit: Just thought I'd add we are proxying some cards, Photon Schockwave isn't on lackey yet) against a few of my friends.

Overall, I would say they currently a T2 / T1.5 archetype, but with a lot of potential for improvement. They pack a lot of search power already with 3x Wind-Up Magician and 3x Wind-Up Manufacture and they also have 3x Mainspring Bat to help recycle the monsters that have already been used.

Their biggest weakness though is that even with all that searching and recycling, they don't really have any monsters that are worth recycling in the maindeck. All their searches can be used to get more searches but if you only consider the maindeck it can end up as empty card advantage very easily. The real source of power for the Wind-Ups comes from their ability to modify their own levels for the purpose of Synchro/Exceed summoning. Without a Wind-Up tuner though, you have to draw into a tuner in order to synchro, this makes Exceed summoning far more practical and useful for them than synchroing.

Their other big weakness currently is that they only pack 2 ways to special summon in the main deck besides monster reborn and the like, namely Wind-Up Magician and Overwound Spring. They are both very useful for special summoning, although as stated previously there aren't any particularly powerful targets for it in the main deck, the main purpose for its special summon is to grab another 4 star and then make an Exceed. With only a very limited way to special summon their monsters, their monster presence on the field is very dependant on normal summoning. They do not however have to worry about running out of monsters to normal summon, due to the searching of Wind-Up Manufacture and the recycling of Wind-Up Bat. In order to cover up the weakness of their normal summon dependency, I have been running Ultimate Offering in my Wind-Up deck.

With Ultimate Offering they become able to quickly field a swarm of level-modifying beatsticks, and then to turn those beatsticks into relatively powerful Exceed monster such as Wind-Up Zenmeister, Gem-knight Pearl, Utopia or Steelswarm Roach, as well as the very powerful Protector of the Founders, Tyrus with a few of their level modifying effects. When playing with Exceeds, it quickly becomes clear that Wind-Ups are to Exceeds as Blackwings are to Synchros, albeit slightly less powerful due to currently having less support and their inability to swarm without Ultimate Offering.

I really feel that all these guys need to really become top tier is one of two things, either monsters that can special summon from the hand a la Blackwings or Kizan, and/or a level 4 main deck monster with an abusable effect, currently all they have is Wind-Up Hunter who is decent but other things would be better (think something like Hand of the Six Samurai, Wind-Up Style)
---
"Mentally challenged people are a lot better off now than they used to be. Nowadays they can even become politicians." - My Government Teacher
#2mariokirbyfox(Topic Creator)Posted 5/24/2011 4:38:31 PM
So now, I will leave you all with the decklist I have been using:

Monsters: 18
3x Wind-Up Magician
3x Wind-Up Warrior
3x Wind-Up Bat
2x Wind-Up Soldier (less flexible than Warrior, cut to 2 to make room for RotA)
2x Wind-Up Hunter
1x Wind-Up Dog
2x T.G. Striker (I like him a lot to use Synchros, and he's earth so he can make Naturias)
2x T.G. Warwolf (Striker search, some swarming power)

Spells: 12
3x Wind-Up Manufacture
3x Overwound Spring
1x Monster Reborn
2x Mystical Space Typhoon
1x Dark Hole
1x Giant Trunade
1x Reinforcement of the Army

Traps: 10
3x Ultimate Offering
2x Solemn Warning
1x Solemn Judgment
1x Torrential Tribute
1x Mirror Force
1x Dimensional Prison
1x Seven Tools of the Bandit

Extra Deck:
1x No. 34: Electronic Computer Beast Tera-Byte
2x Gem-Knight Pearl
1x Wind-Up Zenmaister
1x Steelswarm Roach
2x Protector of the Founders, Tyrus
1x Ally of Justice Catastor
1x Naturia Beast
1x Brionac, Dragon of the Ice Barrier
1x Naturia Barkion
1x Black Rose Dragon
1x Stardust Dragon
1x Scrap Dragon
1x Trishula, Dragon of the Ice Barrier
---
"Mentally challenged people are a lot better off now than they used to be. Nowadays they can even become politicians." - My Government Teacher
#3KenpoKid69Posted 5/24/2011 4:52:12 PM
Deck looks cool, although I'm a bit disappointed.

I was thinking the new Wind-Up monsters were going to be clockwork wind monsters. That would have been much more clever on Konami's part, as it would have been a double play on the word "wind".....ah well! :o(
---
Mug Root Beer? I'm not thirsty enough to resort to violence, yet....
KenpoKid69, Yugioh In-game Name: Kate-O FC: 352527548010
#4MAtt5TERPosted 5/24/2011 7:06:22 PM
Archetype wasn't even originally called "Wind-Up" in the first place. In fact, you can fault Konami for taking a name that could have been better used for a further WIND archetype.
---
This sentence is as meaningless as you.
#5Pharaoh AtemPosted 5/24/2011 9:50:19 PM
Wind-Up fits the OCG name - Zenmai - better than the fanlations did.
---
Atem: So let it be written, so let it be done.
#6NauskePosted 5/24/2011 10:55:22 PM
Spiritual Wind Art - Miyabi.
---
Clustering Wishes.
#7mariokirbyfox(Topic Creator)Posted 5/25/2011 4:10:58 AM
Yeah No ,Nauske, causeIm not even running any wind monsters except bat, way to fail.
---
#8mariokirbyfox(Topic Creator)Posted 5/25/2011 11:24:24 AM
Bump

Does nobody care about Wind-Ups?
---
#9Crimson_SpiderPosted 5/25/2011 11:32:32 AM
Not really. What I am wondering the most about is what 80/80 is supposed to mean.
---
Secular Humanism: The philosophy that adamantly denies that is a philosophy.
#10BobTDonutPosted 5/25/2011 11:39:42 AM
Crimson Spider posted...
Not really. What I am wondering the most about is what 80/80 is supposed to mean.

Titles of topics can be up to 80 characters long. 80/80 means the TC did a topic title with the max amount of characters. In short, it means nothing.
---
http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/4632/morningrescue.gif