Shock Master Rulings - Questions

#1wongermanPosted 10/24/2012 7:29:16 PM
http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Number_16:_Shock_Master

1) What does Shock Master have to say about milling effects such as Lightsworns? I know Card Trooper for example would be negated, but what about dem Sworns?

2) How does Solemn Warning work for a card like Geartown? Where it has an effect that special summons, but it only gets that effect when its destroyed.
#2thecheese103Posted 10/24/2012 7:35:29 PM
Lightsworn mills are a maintenance cost, Shock Master can't stop them.

I can't remember the exact ruling, but I'm pretty certain that negated Geartowns get their SS eff.
---
"thecheese103 just said everything right and I agree with everything he said." -Sith___Master
http://i.imgur.com/lylpd.png
#3VoidSeraphimPosted 10/24/2012 7:41:14 PM
http://forum.duelingnetwork.com/index.php?/topic/10509-geartown-special-summon-vs-solemn-warningjudgement/
---
"With kindness comes naivete. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward..."
#4aerisfanboyPosted 10/24/2012 7:50:38 PM
thecheese103 posted...
Lightsworn mills are a maintenance cost

There are still people who think that...?

As for the actual question, just search for "Lightsworn" in this board and look for a topic regarding Lightsworn, Genex Neutron and Veiler. Pretty sure Shock Master is similar.
---
Currently playing - Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Tag Force 5, Dissidia 012: Duodecim Final Fantasy
Dueling Network username: aerisfanboy
#5t_EphYPosted 10/24/2012 8:03:46 PM
wongerman posted...
1) What does Shock Master have to say about milling effects such as Lightsworns? I know Card Trooper for example would be negated, but what about dem Sworns?

First off, Card Trooper is PREVENTED, not negated. If it was only negated, you would still be able to mill 3 as a cost.
As for your actual question, I'd assume that Shock Master can not prevent mandatory EP effects. Shock Master is different from Effect Veiler, where players pass the game state back and forth until the turn player is forced to try to resolve something; the turn player can't resolve anything with Shock Master up, so Shock master would be forced to expire and then all the EP effects would be able to activate/resolve.

wongerman posted...
2) How does Solemn Warning work for a card like Geartown? Where it has an effect that special summons, but it only gets that effect when its destroyed.

Solemn Warning can only negate the activation of a spell/trap, whereas something like Geartown is not the activation of a S/T but the use of a S/T effect.

thecheese103 posted...

Lightsworn mills are a trigger effect, not a maintenance cost.
---
GT - EphY
#6FredCat07Posted 10/24/2012 8:19:54 PM
t_EphY posted...
thecheese103 posted...

Lightsworn mills are a trigger effect, not a maintenance cost.

Agreed - as Lyla, Lightsworn Sorceress has two effects - one is Ignition (shift to DEF and destroy 1 S/T) and one is Trigger (Milling at End Phase).
---
I used to be hearing person like you, until I took the fever in my ears. ~FredCat
#7lemondrop7Posted 10/24/2012 8:39:47 PM
t_EphY posted...
wongerman posted...

First off, Card Trooper is PREVENTED, not negated. If it was only negated, you would still be able to mill 3 as a cost.
As for your actual question, I'd assume that Shock Master can not prevent mandatory EP effects. Shock Master is different from Effect Veiler, where players pass the game state back and forth until the turn player is forced to try to resolve something; the turn player can't resolve anything with Shock Master up, so Shock master would be forced to expire and then all the EP effects would be able to activate/resolve.

Shock Master does not pass like Veiler nor does the Shock Master wear off during End Phase. The card is specific about until the end of the turn, which is different from almost every other card out there. This is to prevent you from "ending" Shock Master and then MSTing in that same end phase.

So no, the turn ends without the LS's milling and then Shockmaster officially wears off when no other cards can be activated or triggered.
---
You smell what Barack is cookin?
#8t_EphYPosted 10/24/2012 9:26:59 PM
lemondrop7 posted...
nor does the Shock Master wear off during End Phase

I'd forgotten the distinction between lasting until the end of the turn and lasting until the End Phase, my mistake.
---
GT - EphY
#9aerisfanboyPosted 10/24/2012 10:09:57 PM
Oh well... Guess you learn something new everyday...
---
Currently playing - Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Tag Force 5, Dissidia 012: Duodecim Final Fantasy
Dueling Network username: aerisfanboy