Xyz reborn ruling

#1bth8888Posted 5/31/2013 7:20:10 PM
Xyz reborn
Target 1 Xyz Monster in your Graveyard; Special Summon it and attach this card to it as an Xyz Material.

If my opponent activates Xyz reborn, and I chain mystical space typhoon and destroy Xyz reborn, what happen? I am sure the Xyz monster will still get reborn, but what about the attaching part? It is because when a trap card gets destroyed, it is sent to graveyard right away, even though the trap still gets its effect resolved later.

If Xyz reborn can still be attached as material in the above scenario, how about if Macro Cosmo is activated on the field? Would the banished Xyz reborn still be able to be attached as material?
#2VoidSeraphimPosted 5/31/2013 7:29:55 PM
Monster is still reborned, but since the card is not on the field to resolve its second effect, it will not attach.
---
"Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true."
#3ZEXAL_5Ds_GXPosted 5/31/2013 7:31:21 PM
was already weird....! want also Macro face up?....TOTAL MESS!!

anyway, to get serious, some months before i ask this to a senior admin in DN and had no answer because there was NOT an official ruling for TCG that time...
Don't know for the time being if there is one...

Really weird scenario, anyway...
---
I gained the world, but lost my Soul; is there HeartGold to save me?!
#4FredCat07Posted 6/1/2013 6:09:00 AM
Xyz Reborn = Call of the Haunted when coming to MST. If the Trap Card is not on the field when it resolved, Summon has no purpose.
---
What'the matter? Disliked my grammar?
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5vz0vCbdS1r1g5kzo1_500.gif
#5TaxerPosted 6/1/2013 1:13:57 PM
Target 1 Xyz Monster in your Graveyard; Special Summon it and attach this card to it as an Xyz Material.

Based on the wording, I would say that it's similar to Call of the Haunted if you MST it. The card says to special summon and attach it as a material. Both things must occur, otherwise neither of them do. If it had been worded as special summon, then attach it, then it would resolve without materials. I could be wrong, but I would believe that it would be ruled this way if judges had good reading comprehension.
#6FredCat07Posted 6/1/2013 2:55:36 PM
Taxer posted...

Based on the wording, I would say that it's similar to Call of the Haunted if you MST it. The card says to special summon and attach it as a material. Both things must occur, otherwise neither of them do. If it had been worded as special summon, then attach it, then it would resolve without materials. I could be wrong, but I would believe that it would be ruled this way if judges had good reading comprehension.

You're actually right - those trap cards should stay on the field to resolving the Summon (and attach in Xyz's case)
---
#7bth8888(Topic Creator)Posted 6/1/2013 4:44:17 PM
Taxer posted...

I understand your logic. That was what I thought first. But I also thought of Book of Life, which the "reborn zombie" and "remove opponent's monster" are two separate effect. Once it is activated, even if one of the target is gone, the other effect will still resolve.

And just a side note for Xyz reborn, "special summon" and "attach this card" are separated effects in YGOPro. So, you can still reborn an Xyz monster without material at the end even it is destroyed by MST. (I know I know, YGOPro has many bugs and cannot be quoted as official ruling.)
#8TaxerPosted 6/1/2013 5:32:41 PM
Xyz reborn

Book of Life
Target 1 Zombie-Type monster in your Graveyard and 1 monster in your opponent's Graveyard; Special Summon the first target, also banish the second target.

Wording is the most important thing when it comes to rulings. Xyz reborn says to special summon and attach, so if one condition does not resolve, then the other one does not (A and B or neither A and B). Book of Life, however, uses the word "also" instead of "and," which has a different meaning. "Also" is being used as "in addition to" or "then." When used in conjunction with the comma, it's clearly the case that special summoning your zombie and banishing their monster are two separate clauses. Your monster is special summoned from the graveyard regardless of whether or not you banish your opponent's monster. However, I am not exactly sure if your opponent's monster is banished if your zombie is not. I'm leaning toward no, but I could be mistaken.
#9FredCat07Posted 6/1/2013 6:20:08 PM
Tuv, if you think "Book of Life" is that way, then you should take a look at "Bottomless Trap Hole" and it ruling articles - last time I checked, if "Bottomless Trap Hole" can't destroying the Summoned monster, then that monster wouldn't be banished.

So in that way - if "Book of Life" was following in your logic, you wouldn't be able to Special Summon the target Zombie Monster back onto the field if you had failing to banish the target monster from your opponent's Graveyard via "Book of Life" effect.
---
#10t_EphYPosted 6/1/2013 10:35:50 PM
Taxer posted...
Wording is the most important thing when it comes to rulings. Xyz reborn says to special summon and attach, so if one condition does not resolve, then the other one does not (A and B or neither A and B).

Xyz Reborn's most recent errata comes from before the "and if you do" change to PSCT. Keep in mind that PSCT Solemn Warning used to say "negate and destroy" instead of "negate, and if you do, destroy". Because of when it was printed I don't know if there's no way to tell if Xyz Reborn means "<X> and <Y>" or the very different "<X>, and if you do, <Y>". I'm inclined to believe that it's the former, but there is the possibility that it's the latter.

Taxer posted...
When used in conjunction with the comma, it's clearly the case that special summoning your zombie and banishing their monster are two separate clauses. Your monster is special summoned from the graveyard regardless of whether or not you banish your opponent's monster. However, I am not exactly sure if your opponent's monster is banished if your zombie is not. I'm leaning toward no, but I could be mistaken.

"Also" means that both actions occur simultaneously but independently of each other, unlike "and" which usually (but not always) means that both actions must occur for either action to occur.
---
GT - EphY