Nathan Drake's real name (spoilers)

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
  3. Nathan Drake's real name (spoilers)

User Info: slk_23

slk_23
5 years ago#1
We have always assumed that Nathan Drake's real name was Nathan Drake. However, Marlowe seems to suggest that this is not the case. After Drake recovers from the hallucinogens, he wakes up at a cafe outside, sitting at a table with Marlowe. She tells him that his mother committed suicide and his father surrendered him to the state. Then he went to a boarding school or something and believed himself to be Francis Drake's descendant, so took on that name.

Of course, he doesn't confirm or deny any of this. He just remains silent. But this is the only thing we've heard suggesting that Nathan Drake is a pseudonym. Anywhere else, they act like it's his real name; nobody ever hints otherwise. Even Elena, who is very close to him, calls him by that name. And the Uncharted wiki says that his real name is unknown. So could it have been just Marlowe bluffing, or was Drake really ashamed of his past identity and wanted to take up a new one based on his childhood hero?

User Info: Ben Reilly

Ben Reilly
5 years ago#2
Is this seriously a topic?

My God, I hate this board.

Does everything really need to be spelled out?
Lebatard: "So what more could Derrick Rose actually have done to make you acknowledge that he had a bad game? Urinate on himself?"

User Info: Mr_Mel

Mr_Mel
5 years ago#3
I actually took no issue with this, despite taking issue with a lot of other things in the plot.

TC, you're making a ton of these topics. lol
Brawl FC: 4210-3691-8814

User Info: GendoSama

GendoSama
5 years ago#4
Ben Reilly posted...

Is this really a post?

Does every fanboy need to rage out a topic that's just asking for some clarification/discussion?

User Info: Karma3

Karma3
5 years ago#5
Ben Reilly posted...

If you hate it you can just leave.
If you were my compass then I'm lost forever.

User Info: cell2355

cell2355
5 years ago#6
i don't understand what is being said here. was this explained?
BBCS:Hazama / SF4:Ryu - Makoto / Tekken:King - Steve / SFxT:Steve - King(ATM)
KOFXIII:Shen - Benimaru - Ash / MVC3:Chris Redfield - Iron Fist - Nathan Spencer

User Info: RandomWinner

RandomWinner
5 years ago#7

See THIS is a plot point that I'm OK with that wasn't spelled out. THIS is how you leave something for interpretation ND!

I like to think that Marlow was telling the truth, it makes him a much deeper character. We don't really have any evidence though, since Drake doesn't confirm this, but if it was false I feel like someone would have said something later in the plot that she was full of crap.

User Info: GLAMPIRE

GLAMPIRE
5 years ago#8
Ben Reilly posted...

Take no notice of Ben Reilly. He has anger issues. He called a few of us all sorts of names over the special edition UC3 and the fact it was hard to get the disc out of the sleeve. Turns out he had a DIFFERENT version to the one we were talking about lol.

Ben... anger management... NOW ;)
XBL Gamertag Andii Vamp
PSN ID andii_vamp

User Info: Hushfall

Hushfall
5 years ago#9
The way Drake responds to it in the cutscene makes me think Marlowe's telling the truth. But I kind of like not knowing his real name. The main point is that he thought he was Francis Drake's descendant and changed his name because of that. It gives him more depth. Plus Nathan Drake is a cool name and fits him well.
That man is drier than Kunta Kinte's ankles.

User Info: Cloudtail4ever

Cloudtail4ever
5 years ago#10
Kinda big spoilers, TC, in the title alone.

I think this could be a good plot point for the next game. Maybe we'll see his dad, even?
PSN & XBL - Cloudtail4ever ~
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.
  1. Boards
  2. Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
  3. Nathan Drake's real name (spoilers)

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived