Do the three stories of Uncharted connect?

#1jordan2997Posted 12/14/2011 1:59:14 PM
So i convinced my friend to buy this game telling him how obviously fun and such it is and that the single player is sick and the multi is really fun as well.. He asked if he'd miss out (storyline wise) on anything because he didn't play the first two, i said no, the stories are almost completely independent. We went to Gamestop to pick up the game and when at the till the girl asked if he had played the first two then went on a mini rant that he should play the first two first otherwise he'll miss out on things in the story... I disagreed but she went ahead and pitched the bundle price and extended our stay in the store by double of what we intended... Then i said "well he's just buying it for the multiplayer" and blah blah blah she said "well he's probably going to play the single player too.."... obviously.. but that's not the point...

TL;DR Gamestop chick tries to up sale saying you need to play the first two Uncharted games to understand the third, i disagreed.

I liked the previous Uncharted games, but jeez.... we kinda were just buying it for multi..
---
Check out my YouTube channel for funny/entertaining videos/sketches!
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheJprocess
#2blakshadow501Posted 12/14/2011 2:35:24 PM
No. The stories do not connect. However, you would miss out on the character relationships. Plus, Uncharted is known for its single-player so try it. If you don't play the first 2, you won't appreciate the full extent of the great lengths they made to make it awesome....

Add me anyway if ya gonna be on multi...
PSN:yungman
#3EvolvablePosted 12/14/2011 2:54:16 PM
I think that the relationships that characters have is important to a story. As such, playing the previous two entries (which allows you to better get to know the characters and their relationships) will improve the impact of the story told in the 3rd game.

For example (SPOILERS):

When Drake tells Elena to not come with him on the plane - the moment they have their and its significance would be lost (or not have as big of an effect) on those who haven't played the first two games.

So while I think one can play the 3rd game alone and really enjoy it, I think that they will not get as much out of the game without playing the first 2.
---
Final Fantasy Tactics...we need more RPG's with a serious tone/story/theme as it did...
#4lastchancelemonPosted 12/14/2011 3:05:40 PM
I agree with the gamestop girl
#5hrognamalPosted 12/14/2011 3:47:20 PM
"we kinda were just buying it for multi."

And this is why Naughty Dog's next patch should automatically lock out the multiplayer until the single-player story is completed. One does not buy Uncharted for MP - that's the icing, i.e.: 25% of the experience - the cake itself is the single-player campaign.
---
You are the expert on premature gloatulation.
#6Roger__RogerPosted 12/14/2011 4:14:39 PM
Let your friend make his own decisions.

Playing Uncharted 1 and 2 wouldn't be the end of the world if he wanted to spend more money.
#7jordan2997(Topic Creator)Posted 12/15/2011 2:38:24 AM
He didn't want to play the first or second.. We're uni students without a lot of time.
Also i had beaten the single player and agree about your cake whatever.
And honestly i think i would have appreciated Uncharted 3 more had i not played the second one, simply because of the similarities in the story
---
Check out my YouTube channel for funny/entertaining videos/sketches!
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheJprocess
#8JohnMcHeroPosted 12/15/2011 8:54:21 AM
I work in video game retail too (I know, amazing huh? haha) and I can kind of see where the woman in the store was coming from but I do not take the same angle.

If someone comes up to the counter with Uncharted 3 in his or her hands intending to buy it then I might make small talk asking them if they have played the first two or not, or telling them I really love the series. At the end of the day though I will happily serve them for the game.

However, if someone asks me for my opinion on a good game for PS3 or is a first time PS3 owner and would like to know what games I think they should play then I will always tell them about the Uncharted series. In that example though, I would try to convince them to play the first one first, not necessarily because the stories have some interconnection and character development, but because I want them to play three good games rather than one.

In my own experience when people play the second or third game in a series and then try to go back to play the first they can sometimes be left disappointed because of features that are missing or graphics that are not quite as tweaked etc. Playing Uncharted AFTER you have played Uncharted 2 leaves you feeling a tad disappointed, but still appreciative of a good game. If you play Uncharted then Uncharted 2 next you have one great experience then another that betters it.

To be fair this isn't necessarily as big a problem in Uncharted as it is in other series because all three games are fantastic. But take something like Assassins Creed for example and playing the first one after you have played 2 or beyond is really depressing.
---
Its better to be lucky than good.
#9thespartan21Posted 12/15/2011 12:30:38 PM
if you're buying the games just for multiplayer...just don't.
---
-
PSN: thespartan21
#10XxGhaleonxXPosted 12/15/2011 2:41:09 PM
hrognamal posted...
"we kinda were just buying it for multi."

And this is why Naughty Dog's next patch should automatically lock out the multiplayer until the single-player story is completed. One does not buy Uncharted for MP - that's the icing, i.e.: 25% of the experience - the cake itself is the single-player campaign.

Holy ****, this is a dumb post. It's my 60+ dollars, I can play however the **** I want.
---
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=521302869
PSN: acetonskyhigh