why do i suck so bad at this game?

#1cf0022Posted 4/27/2012 3:13:51 PM
Online? I'm older are my trigger fingers just not what they used to be? There are a lot of dumbaszes that play these games and it doesn't make me feel better. I hear some of these people and i'm gettin gbeaten by a 12 year old idiot.

I've watched a few strategy videos. It always seems like i have bad luck, ill be shooting someone and there will always be someone who comes out from behind right at that moment. Grenades kill me. Everyone can throw a grenade like tom brady except me.

i'm like level 20 right now using the m9. I use cloak or regenderation or treasure hunter. back in teh saddle i was using a bit. I use rpg still as my medal kickback.

What am I doing wrong? Is there a trick to throwing grenades so they land perfectly?

It just seems like my timing is always off. I'm always in the wrong spot. I try to use the high ground. Try to play smart, but it doesnt really work.
#2KindertotenwaldPosted 4/27/2012 3:36:27 PM
cf0022 posted...
Online? I'm older are my trigger fingers just not what they used to be? There are a lot of dumbaszes that play these games and it doesn't make me feel better. I hear some of these people and i'm gettin gbeaten by a 12 year old idiot.

I've watched a few strategy videos. It always seems like i have bad luck, ill be shooting someone and there will always be someone who comes out from behind right at that moment. Grenades kill me. Everyone can throw a grenade like tom brady except me.

i'm like level 20 right now using the m9. I use cloak or regenderation or treasure hunter. back in teh saddle i was using a bit. I use rpg still as my medal kickback.

What am I doing wrong? Is there a trick to throwing grenades so they land perfectly?

It just seems like my timing is always off. I'm always in the wrong spot. I try to use the high ground. Try to play smart, but it doesnt really work.

Hold L1 before you throw the grenade.
I wouldn;t use the M9 untill you get RoF in your case.
Go around the outside of the maps, learn the pwoer weapon spawns and pick people off.
#3robinoyoPosted 4/27/2012 4:09:46 PM
You're level 20 TC, keep playing and you'll get to know the game mechanics better. You'll quickly learn which things work the best (for you) and which things don't.
---
Creator of Uncharted 3: Top 10 Plays on Uncharted TV
Youtube: RobinGaming PSN: robinoyo
#4DarkD3stinyPosted 4/27/2012 4:48:14 PM

TC youve only just started really so you can't expect to be good at this stage, the secret is give yourself time to adjust to the game play.

#5KindertotenwaldPosted 4/27/2012 4:49:13 PM
DarkD3stiny posted...
TC youve only just started really so you can't expect to be good at this stage, the secret is give yourself time to adjust to the game play.

No it isn't.
#6DarkD3stinyPosted 4/27/2012 5:20:38 PM

yes it is, your brain needs time to adjust to the gameplay before you can improve. firstly your brain learns from the conscious mind (this is when you have to consentrate on what your doing) then eventually your brain learns from the unconscious mind (this is when you don't need to think about what your doing) it's been proven by scientists. when you see a lady knitting fast while talking it's because her brain adjusted to the unconscious mind, give yourself time and you will get better TC.

#7KindertotenwaldPosted 4/27/2012 5:39:58 PM
DarkD3stiny posted...
yes it is, your brain needs time to adjust to the gameplay before you can improve. firstly your brain learns from the conscious mind (this is when you have to consentrate on what your doing) then eventually your brain learns from the unconscious mind (this is when you don't need to think about what your doing) it's been proven by scientists. when you see a lady knitting fast while talking it's because her brain adjusted to the unconscious mind, give yourself time and you will get better TC.

Then I bring you to the thousands of people who dedicate all of their time to a game and are still so aweful.

Not that there is anything wrong with that but saying you will be good after playing more is a lie.

Well not a lie but you can't say thats all it takes.
#8DarkD3stinyPosted 4/27/2012 6:23:42 PM

I never said that's all it takes.

#9DethSnakePosted 4/27/2012 7:11:24 PM
Well from what I can see in your post you're not really doing anything wrong. Of course there are dozens of little details to take into account that weren't mentioned.

But the M9 is fine. I wouldn't listen to the post that said you should get Rate of Fire for it first because the RoF mod isn't for everybody. And the M9 used to be my best gun (tied with the FAL) and I never used the mod on it. It's actually way better at long range combat and at getting headshots without it. Regeneration is a good beginner booster and cloaked definitely has its advantages but personally I prefer more practical boosters. I'm not sure which you have unlocked so far at that level since it has been so long since I've had to level up but you might want to look into the others. Team Safe is definitely, imo, the best second slot booster. Explosive and Explosive Shell Expert mods are good first slot ones, the latter especially since you like to use the RPG kickback. Fleet Foot is a fantastic alternative to Regen especially since you're using the M9. Experiment. The smallest impacts can make the biggest differences in the long run.

Now you said you play smart. This is arguably, at least for me, the most important part of playing this game online. More important than aim, more important than skill, more important than power weapons, overwhelming numbers, etc. The question is, what are you doing wrong? My guess is one of the following:

- You stay in the same spot too long. You have to be constantly moving in this game - after every kill, after every failure to kill, even when sniping, move whenever your position is blown. Are you in a firefight with somebody? Does he hide behind cover and refuse to pop out to give you a clean shot? Then forget about it. Move and try to flank him or just forget about him completely; there will be others to kill. Not doing so is when you most get shot in the back (especially if they have a Call Out mod on their gun).

- You don't use cover. I see a lot of beginners run around not sticking to cover as they move along so that they always some sort of fail-safe to stick to if they start getting shot at. It makes you an easy target and leaves you pretty screwed once spotted by anyone with a decent shot.

- If you're getting shot at, especially in the back, in such a way that you're caught off guard and have no hope of returning fire and killing the assailant it's better to just run; don't even take cover JUST RUN. I can elaborate on this later if you'd like. This also leads me to my next tip:

- Be aware of your surroundings and know your maps. Know all escape routes and all options to get away when you're getting shot at or ganged up on. Running away isn't gonna do you much good if you don't know the best or shortest route to get away.

- Maps have a lot of really crappy spots that you seem to get killed at much more frequently than the rest (like the lower sniper nest/lower T-Bolt spawn on Syria and that entire side of the map for example) and should be avoided at all costs. Learn which areas hold tactical value and stick to them. There are some sections of certain maps that I don't even bother ever running to EVER because they're a terrible place to get kills and a good place to get killed within seconds.
---
Megadeth? Solid Snake?! DETHSNAKE?!
#10DethSnakePosted 4/27/2012 7:11:35 PM
So yeah, there's a lot of running in this game. And don't mistake it for cowardice; I call it tactical retreating. You have to run back to good cover positions to return fire a lot, especially when you're outnumbered. And no matter how "cheap" or "chicken-y" it is to flank people or to shoot them in the back nobody can deny its effectiveness in this game. And people will do it to you every chance they get. Try to remember that.

Side note: for your grenade throwing, it's much better to aim the grenades manually. They're super accurate this way. The quick throw is only useful for certain situations. If you're getting blown up by grenades a lot then you're probably not paying very much attention or you're sitting in the same spot/hiding in the same cover for way too long.
---
Megadeth? Solid Snake?! DETHSNAKE?!