Is Lara Croft still the queen of gaming?

#31sparkymafiaPosted 3/5/2013 7:12:38 AM
SterlingFox posted...
sparkymafia posted...
SterlingFox posted...
I don't think people have really given a **** about Lara Croft for like 12 years. It pretty much ended with the first Tomb Raider movie..

Yea, and that is how a series of very average games lasts what? 10 iterations over 17 years....because nobody gives a crap. Use you god damn brain.

Yeah, and that is how a series of Ace Combat games lasts what? 10 iterations over 20 years.... because people really care about them and they are super popular and seen as blockbuster hits.
Yeah, and that is how there are 13 Land Before time movies over 20 years... Because by you logic, they're popular and great films that people love.

And damn, man! Duke Nuke Em! He's been in 13 games in over 20 years! He must be the king of gaming, right? He's still insanely popular and his last game was well recieved and not average or mediocre in anyway and people love his character.
Or wait, no. You're wrong. Truly, TRULY, I am surprised by the idea that your horrible reasoning doesn't lead to good conclusions.

Your opinion of Lara Croft =/= the majority of people. And thankfully so, because if the majority of people thought that sheer number of games meant anything at all then the industry would be ****ed. Making a bunch of games doesn't mean people care. Further, you don't reboot a franchise when it's still popular the way it is. Which is exactly why they're rebooting Tomb Raider. Use your goddamn brain.

I did not use any logic or thought when making my post.

Ace Combat and Duke are funky examples though....since one is cheap to make and the same every year and the other had a 15 year break but was real popular when being made regularly.

Lets also clear his up....i don't really like Lara, last TR game i bought was legend.....its just that she is the most recognizable female in gaming, us gamers sometimes live in a vacuum. Randoms do not have a clue who Samus or Bayonetta is. I rate her as the queen of gaming (not something i have ever even though about before :D) due to this and they do sell pretty nicely also.
#32AtalalamaPosted 3/9/2013 8:01:15 AM
No love for Mai Shiranui?

For shame.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/200/maishiranuibyreiq.jpg/
#33_Yag_Posted 3/9/2013 8:41:40 AM
foodeater4 posted...
Chun Li's not the queen of gaming, just SF.

Samus, prolly not, the last game blew and no good games fora while now.

I'd personally go Lara or FemSHep

the only bad metroid game is the most recent one, and one mediocre game doesn't undo the greatness of all the others imho.

and I also don't think femshep can count since you can play either male or female in that role.

put my vote down for samus/lara
---
Archer: "ring ring.....hi planes? yeah, this is blimps.. you win"
Yagyujubei: 75 NIN/MNK/SAM/PLD/BLU Midgardsormr R.I.P
#34Kakashi_LawyerPosted 3/9/2013 8:57:41 AM(edited)
SterlingFox posted...
I don't think people have really given a **** about Lara Croft for like 12 years. It pretty much ended with the first Tomb Raider movie.
She's certainly not the "Queen of Gaming" anymore, since she's more regarded as a joke than anything else. She's in the same vein as the Dead or Alive girls at this point, only her games are less successful.

Samus, Cortana, or Female Commander Shepard are all more realistic choices.

Cortana being The Queen of Gaming?!?

Good joke. lol
#35DocBacon93Posted 3/9/2013 8:57:59 AM
usmovers_02 posted...
My initial response was "no" but I honestly can't think of anybody who's taken her place. Amongst hardcore gamers it's probably Alyx Vance but that name isn't known out side of serious gamers. People who don't even play games have heard of Lara Croft.

Also, Alyx Vance is one of the worst supporting characters in any medium ever.
#36SunDevil77Posted 3/9/2013 9:18:11 AM
Decadent One posted...
Um, Samus Aran?

---
Breakfast foods can serve many purposes
~Ron Swanson
#37Robot_SoopaPosted 3/9/2013 9:44:55 AM(edited)
It's always been Samus.

She's had the most consistent series with the highest number of titles with Other M people the only one people are conflicted about. Tomb Raider games were never that great.

Lara was also nothing more than a sexual object until this game. Samus is all about female empowerment.

sparkymafia posted...
Randoms do not have a clue who Samus is.

Everybody laugh with me!
#38SunDevil77Posted 3/9/2013 9:43:38 AM
Also, Ms. Pac Man.
---
Breakfast foods can serve many purposes
~Ron Swanson
#39Robot_SoopaPosted 3/9/2013 9:45:30 AM
SterlingFox posted...
Further, you don't reboot a franchise when it's still popular the way it is.

Tell that to Capcom, goddammit.
#40TronogyPosted 3/9/2013 10:25:23 AM
No love for princess Zelda??????? O_o
---
"Human history is a lie!"