Is Lara Croft still the queen of gaming?

#41GM_Posted 3/9/2013 10:51:20 AM
Decadent One posted...
Um, Samus Aran?

She barely carries herself as a character in her own games. She works best as a mute character that just kicks ass. When they tried to give her a personality the fanboy rage was over 9,000 and they declared it as the worst thing ever in the history of the world to ever happen. I'd guess that the fanboys would say Metroid: Other M was worse than Hitler.
---
CooperRC: "The 360 and PS3 are just fighting in the special olympics, the PC version is king."
#42Robot_SoopaPosted 3/9/2013 11:17:48 AM
GM_ posted...
She barely carries herself as a character in her own games. She works best as a mute character that just kicks ass. When they tried to give her a personality the fanboy rage was over 9,000 and they declared it as the worst thing ever in the history of the world to ever happen. I'd guess that the fanboys would say Metroid: Other M was worse than Hitler.

To be fair Lara was basically Boobs on a Stick before the reboot.
#43Kakashi_LawyerPosted 3/9/2013 1:47:33 PM(edited)
Robot_Soopa posted...
GM_ posted...

To be fair Lara was basically Boobs on a Stick before the reboot.

Eh old Lara Croft was at least kind of witty, and more likable then Other M Samus.

No personality is better then an annoying weak one. I have no idea why they thought a character who was assumed to be a strong woman like Samus when she was mute should be a submissive whiny emotional woman who freezes in terror during combat when they attempt to give her a personality.
#44SunDevil77Posted 3/9/2013 1:29:12 PM
GM_ posted...
Decadent One posted...
Um, Samus Aran?

Other M is a catastrophe.

With that game aside, Samus showed the gaming world that girls can kick ass first. It doesn't matter that she's mute. Many gaming icons started off mute, or close to it; Mario, Master Chief, Sonic, Sackboy, etc.
---
Breakfast foods can serve many purposes
~Ron Swanson
#45TwilightEchoesPosted 3/9/2013 7:45:36 PM
I wanted to say Samus, but then I remembered Other M.
---
[Insert an "[Insert witty saying or joke]" sig here]
#46AtomicPenguin76Posted 3/9/2013 10:59:08 PM
Ask this anywhere other than a hardcore gamer's board and the answer wouldn't only be yes, but most of the people there would likely have never heard of the other options people are throwing out.

She might have had a bad run of games over a long period of time, but everyone knows who she is and nobody has stepped up to the plate to create a female character to take her place. There really aren't any other options. Only gamers even know who Samus is, although they might recognize the name Metroid (might). Say what you want about Tomb Raider and Lara, but she's had a successful run of games, two movies, a bunch of comic books, a successful reboot now, and another movie coming in the future. There isn't another female gaming character that even remotely compares to that, not even close.
#47SterlingFoxPosted 3/10/2013 8:05:32 PM
AtomicPenguin76 posted...
Ask this anywhere other than a hardcore gamer's board and the answer wouldn't only be yes, but most of the people there would likely have never heard of the other options people are throwing out.

She might have had a bad run of games over a long period of time, but everyone knows who she is and nobody has stepped up to the plate to create a female character to take her place. There really aren't any other options. Only gamers even know who Samus is, although they might recognize the name Metroid (might). Say what you want about Tomb Raider and Lara, but she's had a successful run of games, two movies, a bunch of comic books, a successful reboot now, and another movie coming in the future. There isn't another female gaming character that even remotely compares to that, not even close.

Everyone KNEW who she was. With no hit games or movies in the last 10 years, she's phasing out now.
And most people know who Samus is, you're not thinking it through if you believe otherwise. Even if you don't believe everybody plays Metroid, she was still in Super Smash Bros, which is successful amongst gamers and non-gamers alike.

If we follow your reasoning and go by which female character is best known in gaming, then Princess Toadstool is the queen of gaming. More people know who she is than who Lara Croft is, and you're fooling yourself if you think otherwise.

But now let's be realistic. To be the Queen of GAMING you have to have GAMES that people like. Movies and comic books aren't really relevant, because that is not gaming. We could follow that logic and say that Jill Valentine is the queen of gaming, because Resident Evil games are more popular than Tomb Raider games, and Resident Evil Movies are more popular than Tomb Raider movies (which they don't even make anymore, and haven't for 10 years). Jill Valentine is therefore the queen of gaming?

The point is that Lara Croft hasn't had a hit game or been relevant to gaming in over a decade. RIGHT NOW is what we're talking about. How great she was in the 1990s doesn't matter, how poor she is in 2013 is what matters. And RIGHT NOW means that Samus, Female Shepard, Cortana, Princess Zelda are all better and more likely candidates.
With this reboot, a lot of gamers are just learning about Tomb Raider and Lara Croft now. We don't want to say we're getting older and we want to still believe that the people who enjoyed games in the 90s are the majority, but we're not. Most gamers now grew up in the 2000s and either the PS2 or Xbox 360 was their first console, which is an era where Lara Croft is a hasbeen. Lara Croft is nobody to them, and they are just meeting her for the first time with this game. She cannot be the "Queen of Gaming" if she is not exceptionally popular in gaming.
---
Underwater Spartans:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Djp5dtz02eQ&feature=plcp
#48flipmode_1Posted 3/10/2013 8:08:59 PM
I've never played a game in the franchise but that title to me has always gone to Samus.
---
GT-Flip Munk PSN-Flip-Munk
Favorites- (1)God of War Series (2)BioShock (3)The Warriors (4) Red Dead Redemption (5)TMNT TiT (6)GTA III
#49blackhrtPosted 3/10/2013 8:38:21 PM
Samus, Lara & Bayonetta? Tough debate.
---
"I live my life 3 videogames at a time. Nothing else matters. Not the mortgage, not my clan and their BS. For those 3 games or less, I'm free."
#50shortmanshady63Posted 3/10/2013 8:43:15 PM
usmovers_02 posted...
My initial response was "no" but I honestly can't think of anybody who's taken her place. Amongst hardcore gamers it's probably Alyx Vance but that name isn't known out side of serious gamers. People who don't even play games have heard of Lara Croft.

What? I realize other people have already voiced their opinion on this, but I have to reiterate...Alyx Vance has never been and will never be considered the queen of gaming.
---
GT: MD Retribution
PSN: MD_Sage
More topics from this board...
EpicnessHumanoid_Sharks77/9 10:54PM