Climbing.............

#1GAVadePosted 3/2/2013 4:47:52 PM
It's a shame the official media ha snot shown much in the ways of platforming and traversing the environment so I come here to ask the folks who have and are playing the game...........

Does Lara still retain her rock climbing skills like in the previous TR - Underworld - where she could shimmy and nimbly position herself like a real mountain climber, finding nooks and footholds in the rock surface?

All I have really seen is Lara scaling a vertical rock surface with her pickaxe (with a textured look different to the backdrop environment indicating to us it's climbable) and climb up walls that have a wooden, horizontal make shift ledge, again making the player obvious this is where you go etc.

Any free form climbing and vertical traversal?

Thanks
---
http://gavade.deviantart.com/
#2Valentino16Posted 3/2/2013 4:51:47 PM
hahaha

you said snot.
---
GT: TheMasterTee
"Geronimo!"
#3GAVade(Topic Creator)Posted 3/3/2013 2:12:24 PM
Ha yes I did, oh well can't be asked to correct it..............
---
http://gavade.deviantart.com/
#4HungryDogPosted 3/3/2013 8:18:45 PM
I'd actually like to know this also?
---
A dog that is hungry........
#5MashYouGoodPosted 3/3/2013 9:16:13 PM
The climbing is simplified, as is the wont of all games nowadays.
#6TenzhiPosted 3/3/2013 9:52:55 PM
MashYouGood posted...
The climbing is simplified, as is the wont of all games nowadays.

I should hope so. As a form of basic movement for a video game character, it should be at least as simple as push direction to go direction. I mean, I'm sure some people might get a kick out of having a minigame for each handhold where you guide Lara's fingers into a crack, but ultimately that would be a pointless hindrance.
---
Often, when you try too hard to act superior, the opposite occurs.
#7CarpetfluffPosted 3/4/2013 1:28:37 AM
There's plenty of traversal that isn't so obviously sign posted to get to secrets, but most main edges have paint to make them distinct. The rock faces look different to denote needing your climbing axe - something you often need to bust out with with warning, so it's handy. It's not like most games don't do this though, with vines or what have you. Don't bust out your 'bat sense' every 5 seconds like some of the dimwits on Youtube and there's plenty of exploring fun to be had.
#8MashYouGoodPosted 3/4/2013 3:08:51 AM
Tenzhi posted...
I'm sure some people might get a kick out of having a minigame for each handhold where you guide Lara's fingers into a crack

Reductio ad absurdum

Skill is the issue here. A game that asks little of the player gives little back. (*The first law of video gaming)
#9TenzhiPosted 3/4/2013 3:23:45 AM
MashYouGood posted...
Skill is the issue here. A game that asks little of the player gives little back. (*The first law of video gaming)

That depends on what you're trying to get out of it. The games I have the most fun with often don't require a great deal of skill, and fun is what I'm trying to get out of a game. "Work" or "challenge" are not things I'm looking to get from a game - indeed, such would be counter-productive to relaxing on my time off. And if a game presents that sort of uphill battle and I play it through and then look for the next such challenge to present itself I've made gaming into a Sisyphean chore, locking myself into a sort of entertainment hell, the enjoyment of which would make me a bit of a masochist at best.
---
Often, when you try too hard to act superior, the opposite occurs.
#10Doober2Posted 3/4/2013 3:27:09 AM
Tenzhi posted...
MashYouGood posted...

That depends on what you're trying to get out of it. The games I have the most fun with often don't require a great deal of skill, and fun is what I'm trying to get out of a game. "Work" or "challenge" are not things I'm looking to get from a game - indeed, such would be counter-productive to relaxing on my time off. And if a game presents that sort of uphill battle and I play it through and then look for the next such challenge to present itself I've made gaming into a Sisyphean chore, locking myself into a sort of entertainment hell, the enjoyment of which would make me a bit of a masochist at best.

Don't bother arguing with Mash....he's snot to taken seriously
---
Currently Playing:Suikoden