This game destroyed Uncharted in every way (Oppinion/Spoilers)

#1MarblesbunbunPosted 3/10/2013 8:42:23 PM
This is just my oppinion, but after playing all of the Uncharteds and seeing the direction they were taking this game.. I expected close to the same gameplay.

I was severely wrong, and am completely impressed at how revitalized the Tomb Raider series is with this game.
Everything just fits and works to make an awesome, cohesive whole.

Don't get me wrong, Uncharted is a good series, however there were many a time where I'd before a jump puzzle or into combat and the first thing that popped into my mind was "Great, what the hell are you going to make me do now" because it just seemed over done half the time. Combat went from simple, small fire fights to overly long affairs. The climbing/platforming just became ridiculous. (To a lesser extent, Assassin's Creed shares this problem, especially dusting Desmond parts and tomb exploration)

With Tomb Raider, I never once felt that with either the climbing or platforming. The game seemed perfect, not going to extreme in either while keeping everything rock solid in performance.

I do hope the people at Sony are taking notes, because the folks at Crystal Dynamix took the formula and showed them how it is done.

Anyone else share my thoughts?
---
The patience it takes to play FFXI and EQ is the patience it takes to kill yourself by bashing your head into a wall.
#2RNG_GODPosted 3/10/2013 8:50:26 PM
Nope, felt the opposite. Not even remotely close tbh
#3Marblesbunbun(Topic Creator)Posted 3/10/2013 8:54:56 PM
RNG_GOD posted...

Wow, always nice to see different oppinions.
I just felt Uncharted relied way to much on enemy spam when you got into combat, where wave after wave would hit you and it would just drag on/drag out.
Same goes for the jumping puzzles, where they became so intricate and over the top I just got bored with them.
As I said I've audible said "ok.. what the hell are you making me do this time"
---
The patience it takes to play FFXI and EQ is the patience it takes to kill yourself by bashing your head into a wall.
#4RNG_GODPosted 3/10/2013 9:02:49 PM
Marblesbunbun posted...
RNG_GOD posted...

I just felt Uncharted relied way to much on enemy spam when you got into combat, where wave after wave would hit you and it would just drag on/drag out.
Same goes for the jumping puzzles, where they became so intricate and over the top I just got bored with them.

Yeah I felt that Tomb Raider used darkness and gore too much to shock the viewers and that it was a crutch for it's story really. Also not enough puzzles and the puzzles in optional tombs and what not were far too easy. I went through all 7 optional tombs in roughly 35 minutes which shouldn't have happened. Tomb Raider was definitely a good game but I wouldn't put it on the top 5 games this gen level like I would for Uncharted 2.
#5Marblesbunbun(Topic Creator)Posted 3/10/2013 9:12:38 PM(edited)
RNG_GOD posted...
Marblesbunbun posted...
RNG_GOD posted...

Yeah I felt that Tomb Raider used darkness and gore too much to shock the viewers and that it was a crutch for it's story really. Also not enough puzzles and the puzzles in optional tombs and what not were far too easy. I went through all 7 optional tombs in roughly 35 minutes which shouldn't have happened. Tomb Raider was definitely a good game but I wouldn't put it on the top 5 games this gen level like I would for Uncharted 2.

I will give you the gore and shock value did make me... uncomfortable.
Which is odd due to playing all 3 Dead Spaces in a row and not jumping more then a handful of times and never feeling uncomfortable (except for the damn eye scene...)

This game.. just made me feel uneasy with the realistic, graphic violence.

Also, 1 small pet peeve. When you make long jumps which look like you shouldn't be able to make, Laura will put her arms up as if to grab the ledge then suddenly magnetically lock on and float to the ledge with no frames of animation. It's happened 3 times, but all in a DLC/Pre-order crypt only.
---
#6SS_MetalSonicPosted 3/10/2013 9:13:22 PM
tomb raider always used gore and shock value. falling into a bed of spikes- ass first; is both shocking and gory.
---
PSWiiPC60DS - Deus Ex, Crysis, Skyward Sword, Black ops 2, Farcry 3
Forza 4, Rage, InFamous 2, Darksiders 2, Vanquish, NBA2K13, Halo 4, Skyrim, Tomb Raider
#7JenniferTatePosted 3/10/2013 9:18:03 PM
I love Uncharted. I bought a PS3 in December precisely for it and Last of Us.

I agree with you. Might be because I'm an old TR fan, games and comics, but this game nailed it. I don't truly compare the two, mostly because of theme, and I like both moods and themes depending on my own mood. Uncharted has a lighter, summer blockbuster tone to TR's darker grit.

However what lures me in is the superior combat, cover and stealth system, and how more fully realized the island is compared to Uncharted. If they go global like Uncharted 2/old Tomb Raider 2... Man. I also thought the set pieces and combat arenas were more fun, but they may be due to the mobility, options, and how the weapons feel than actual design of the content.

The replay factor is a bit more interesting, too. While I feel U2 is one of the most replaceable games ever, thanks to its skins and unlocks, TR's skill system is nice- I'm just starting a new file and I'm going to change up my skill points and weapon mods. I also know (thanks to some restarts; I played on hard which makes the combat a bit more pressured, and I died a few times) that the Arenas have various ways to play them, such as hiding and explosives. Can't wait to do a bow only run now that I got the achievements out of the way.

Anyway, I love Uncharted, but TR does edge it out for me. The only thing I think TR truly lacked was cast. Roth and Jonah were cool, but nobody stood out to me like Elena or Sully. That said, Uncharted's cast didn't truly shine until the second game.
---
"Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer." - Scott Stratten
#8Marblesbunbun(Topic Creator)Posted 3/10/2013 9:23:13 PM(edited)
SS_MetalSonic posted...
tomb raider always used gore and shock value. falling into a bed of spikes- ass first; is both shocking and gory.

The gruesome drowning scenes as well.
http://youtu.be/y5nyLX7RPG4?t=26s
---
#9Ribbercage93Posted 3/10/2013 9:22:43 PM
Uncharted was far more polished, shooting from ledges, ledge takedowns, crushing difficulty, better cast of characters, more weapons, better multiplayer.

This game is great don't get me wrong and I'm very happy with buying it. It does need a harder difficulty, Hard is a joke IMO
---
XBL GT, PSN & Wii U : RIBBERCAGE
#10qbertz716Posted 3/10/2013 9:25:30 PM
There are aspects of both Tomb Raider and the Uncharted games that I felt were done better than the other, but not so much that I could say I have a preference between the two. This and the Uncharted series are all great games. If I had to rank them personally I'd say UC2 > TR = UC3 > UC1. UC2 was such a big jump over UC1 that it hooked me so hard I beat the game in a single sitting. UC3 and TR where great but they didn't take any leaps forward as big as UC2 did to completely blow me away. But they where nevertheless awesome games.
More topics from this board...
EpicnessHumanoid_Sharks77/9 10:54PM