Wow! This game is really dark!

#1BlueFlameBatPosted 3/24/2013 10:30:13 AM
I'm not talking about lack of brightness (I know how to adjust the settings), I'm talking about how disturbing it is. It's probably child's play to some of you, but I don't play much Dark Siders, Devil May Cry, or God of War, and the excessive violence in games like BloodRayne and the Saints Row series are kinda cartoonish with the kind of protagonists you'd easily expect to be brutal. I recently found our heroine falling into and then emerging from a river of blood surrounded by skulls and bloody corpses. You have a considerably passive person thrust into a disturbing world of of vicious cultists where she must learn to nearly become a monster herself to survive the horrendous ordeal. This is especially dark when compared to the previous Tomb Raider games in which Lara is a near-impossibly accomplished (for one lifetime anyway) archaeologist, acrobat, multi-linguist, and markswoman who shows very little fear, instead exhibiting a somewhat James-Bond-like charm and attitude summed up best by her line to Zip in Tomb Raider Legend, "You're not really living if you're not living a little dangerously."
---
"BlueFlameBat has not entered any biographical information. It's probably none of your damn business anyway." -G4TV profile
There is still no escape.
#2FridgeBeardPosted 3/24/2013 10:53:43 AM
Darksiders and DMC are neither dark nor disturbing.
---
http://www.backloggery.com/fridgebeard
http://i.imgur.com/AW4vp.png - Credit: Breloom
#3BlueFlameBat(Topic Creator)Posted 3/24/2013 9:41:44 PM
FridgeBeard posted...
Darksiders and DMC are neither dark nor disturbing.

Nothing else to add to this discussion?
Any thoughts on whether any parts of this game were inspired by Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom or the Far Cry games?
---
"BlueFlameBat has not entered any biographical information. It's probably none of your damn business anyway." -G4TV profile
#4FridgeBeardPosted 3/24/2013 11:52:47 PM(edited)
I thought that went without saying?

I guess to add a bit more, it's pretty clear that numerous inspirations helped bring about not just this game but the entire series. As much as people loath to say it, Uncharted definitely had a hand in how this game turned out. Which, ironically, was likely inspired by both Tomb Raider and the things that inspired Tomb Raider.
---
http://www.backloggery.com/fridgebeard
http://i.imgur.com/AW4vp.png - Credit: Breloom
#5BlueFlameBat(Topic Creator)Posted 3/25/2013 2:20:55 PM
Okay. Fair enough. I could write about all my experiences with the Uncharted games on a sticky note, but many parts of this game definitely reminded me of what little I've seen of the Uncharted series. So did you find any of this game at least a little unnerving?
---
#6vonVolikPosted 3/25/2013 4:44:40 PM
Yes, this game has a dark grittiness to it. I personally find it to be realistic given the conditions on the island. As far as her in the blood river, all I could think of was Apocalypse Now.
#7Shinobi_DaisukePosted 4/3/2013 8:07:06 AM
You should put a spoiler warning in this. Somehow. I'll have some in this post.

Damn, I was hoping that you didn't mention brightness settings so that I could make a joke.

Anyway, I'd heard and seen (through Conan's always hilarious Clueless Gamer videos) about how brutal some of the imagery is in this. I've never played a game where something as trivial as dying was actually shown so viscerally. Every other game I've played is more or less just a game over screen. Honestly, I'm not sure how I can believe that Lara emerges from this with anything less than a shattered psyche.

To be honest, I was very interested in the visuals of this game. When you first get strung up by the oni, that whole section really piqued my interest. I thought that the environments were extremely, well, interesting. I don't know of any other word I could use. I liked them a lot, even though intense gore is usually something that I find ridiculous. There was something really creepy and ominous about all of it, mostly, I think, because I never had any idea that this was going to be a game that had anything supernatural in it.

I've always disliked Tomb Raider (I'm borrowing this from a friend), but this game has really, really captured my attention in ways that no other game has. I sympathize with and care just as much about her as, or even more than, characters in Mass Effect and I've never been as fascinated with a game's art direction as I am with this one. It could have been the Japanese ruins, since I think that they have a very cool culture, especially in terms of their ancient customs and architecture.
---
Gamertag: ShinobiDaisukeX
#8BlueFlameBat(Topic Creator)Posted 4/9/2013 6:19:58 PM
You should put a spoiler warning in this. Somehow. I'll have some in this post.

Sorry. I didn't think I was spoiling anything. I'd edit the message, but unfortunately that's not possible.

Damn, I was hoping that you didn't mention brightness settings so that I could make a joke.

Sorry again. I just couldn't let it happen.

Anyway, I'd heard and seen (through Conan's always hilarious Clueless Gamer videos) about how brutal some of the imagery is in this. I've never played a game where something as trivial as dying was actually shown so viscerally. Every other game I've played is more or less just a game over screen. Honestly, I'm not sure how I can believe that Lara emerges from this with anything less than a shattered psyche.

What is Conan's Clueless Gamer web address?

To be honest, I was very interested in the visuals of this game. When you first get strung up by the oni, that whole section really piqued my interest. I thought that the environments were extremely, well, interesting. I don't know of any other word I could use. I liked them a lot, even though intense gore is usually something that I find ridiculous. There was something really creepy and ominous about all of it, mostly, I think, because I never had any idea that this was going to be a game that had anything supernatural in it.

I've always disliked Tomb Raider (I'm borrowing this from a friend), but this game has really, really captured my attention in ways that no other game has. I sympathize with and care just as much about her as, or even more than, characters in Mass Effect and I've never been as fascinated with a game's art direction as I am with this one. It could have been the Japanese ruins, since I think that they have a very cool culture, especially in terms of their ancient customs and architecture.

Personally, my favorite is Tomb Raider Legend, but everyone has his or her own tastes.
---
#9JTYooperPosted 4/9/2013 6:42:48 PM
BlueFlameBat posted...

Here's the clueless gamer video: http://youtu.be/xCe8-1dbXZc

And here is Camilla on Conan: http://youtu.be/RmlulA8Drvs
---
"Am I crazy? Or am I so sane, that you just blew your mind??"
XBL GT - JaySTeeY
#10Shinobi_DaisukePosted 4/10/2013 5:54:25 PM
BlueFlameBat posted...
Sorry. I didn't think I was spoiling anything. I'd edit the message, but unfortunately that's not possible.

No need to apologize; you didn't spoil anything for me. I just know that GameFAQs admins can get pretty sensitive about this stuff and I didn't want your thread closed.

teamcoco.com/cluelessgamer

His bits are hilarious.
---
Gamertag: ShinobiDaisukeX
More topics from this board...
EpicnessHumanoid_Sharks77/9 10:54PM