Wow! This game is really dark!

#11blackhrtPosted 4/11/2013 4:06:54 AM
BlueFlameBat posted...
I'm not talking about lack of brightness (I know how to adjust the settings), I'm talking about how disturbing it is. It's probably child's play to some of you, but I don't play much Dark Siders, Devil May Cry, or God of War, and the excessive violence in games like BloodRayne and the Saints Row series are kinda cartoonish with the kind of protagonists you'd easily expect to be brutal. I recently found our heroine falling into and then emerging from a river of blood surrounded by skulls and bloody corpses. You have a considerably passive person thrust into a disturbing world of of vicious cultists where she must learn to nearly become a monster herself to survive the horrendous ordeal. This is especially dark when compared to the previous Tomb Raider games in which Lara is a near-impossibly accomplished (for one lifetime anyway) archaeologist, acrobat, multi-linguist, and markswoman who shows very little fear, instead exhibiting a somewhat James-Bond-like charm and attitude summed up best by her line to Zip in Tomb Raider Legend, "You're not really living if you're not living a little dangerously."

I'm with you on that. The extra "grit" works to compliment the game though. I know I was kind of unsettled when I got to that underground cavern where those cultists rejects were. I was expected some disturbing cutscenes or something.
---
"I live my life 3 videogames at a time. Nothing else matters. Not the mortgage, not my clan and their BS. For those 3 games or less, I'm free."
#12BarlowGirl_FanPosted 4/11/2013 11:07:40 AM
^ Ever sit back, subtitles on, and listen to what they say? It's some pretty dark, skin crawling stuff.
---
If you believe in Jesus Christ , have accepted Him as your Lord and Savior, and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig.
#13BayouJoePosted 4/11/2013 11:24:24 AM
All I can say is, dark or not, it was one of the most enjoyable games I've played in a while.
---
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead."
#14MrDummyPosted 4/21/2013 4:03:10 PM
I'm at 51% point and its getting pretty dark as T/C mentioned...
---
Currently Playing: Tomb Raider & DMC!
(1) 360 + (1) 65" Widescreen HDTV + (1) 5.1 Digital Surround = TRUE LOVE
#15t0taldjPosted 4/21/2013 4:13:35 PM
While I believe Uncharted 2 is a superior game, I'm a bigger fan of dark themes. It seems like they ignored Lara's character development in response to the excessive darkness. She walks through it as if its just another walk in the park. This reboot is suppose to show how Lara's character progresses. If she sees some insanely gruesome stuff, she needs to react. For example, if anyone has played FarCry 3, they know what I'm talking about, like how your character progresses from a p***y to a total badass.

Other than that, the game is awesome.
#16MrDummyPosted 4/22/2013 10:21:25 AM
Yeah I agree and FC3 was wicked cool and is a staple in games I decided to keep!

MrD
---
#17MrDummyPosted 4/22/2013 2:30:19 PM
vonVolik posted...
Yes, this game has a dark grittiness to it. I personally find it to be realistic given the conditions on the island. As far as her in the blood river, all I could think of was Apocalypse Now.

You are so accurate in your post here!

I just got to river of blood and that part was badass ...

I hope it gets even more darker as she moves forward.

MrD
---
#18thethinwhitedukePosted 4/26/2013 11:08:25 PM
I get the Apocalypse Now reference, but that particular scene is an absolute borrowing from The Descent. In fact, the whole game has borrowed liberally from that movie.
Not that I mind- steal from the best, I say.
---
I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians.
They are so unlike your Christ. - Gandhi
#19moniewitchPosted 5/12/2013 6:06:22 PM
Why is this the darkest Tomb Raider yet? Anyone know? The first few Tomb Raider's wern't that dark just mysterious with her venturing in caves, etc.
---
Jesus is everyone's best friend & savior
~Everyone get Baptized so you can make it into the Kingdom of Heaven~
#20Mariofan15Posted 5/12/2013 6:42:17 PM
Why is this the darkest Tomb Raider yet? Anyone know? The first few Tomb Raider's wern't that dark just mysterious with her venturing in caves, etc.

Probably because of what happens on the island is my guess.
---
Pokemon White 2 FC:4685-8577-8710