A lesson to be learned from Square-Enix

#1NewMoonShadowPosted 3/26/2013 7:11:38 AM(edited)
People who say "release a good game and you'll make lots of money for it" are full of it.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/03/26/square-enix-expects-extraordinary-loss-this-fiscal-year-ceo-steps-down/

Despite Publishing amazing title after amazing title (some of which are new IP's), and putting in the funds to optimize them all into borderline next-gen titles on the PC, Square-Enix reports massive loss for the year and its CEO decides to resign.

I guess the lesson here is that rehashing titles like Call of Duty and Battlefield for as cheap as possible is a much better way to turn a profit than making new, fresh games every couple of years (Sleeping Dogs and Hitman: Absolution both hit this year, both of which were highly anticipated). Thank you gamers, this is the lesson you've taught the industry.
#2Black_ArchPosted 3/26/2013 7:56:25 AM
So you're saying they shouldn't have made another Lara Croft and Hitman game, and should have made an entirely original IP instead?

Well no ****. By the way Sleeping Dogs was just a retitled True Crimes game, so they shouldn't have bothered with that one either.

Moral of the story: stop making rehashes.
---
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Give me Liberty, or give me Death! - Patrick Henry
#3Cpt_of_IndustryPosted 3/26/2013 7:59:15 AM
Unbelievable expectations. This is not the 2000s anymore.
---
The Jersey Guy
#4No_one_specialPosted 3/26/2013 9:56:00 AM
Square's sales expectations were ridiculously high as it was. It doesn't help that the world is STILL recovering from the recent recession.
---
http://tinyurl.com/d76kaod
http://i.imgur.com/qQLJe62.jpg
#5TheBeastWithinPosted 3/27/2013 10:55:15 PM
They actually did make a lot of money on these games. The problem here is that they lied to their shareholders regarding projected profits, creating absurd expectations. It also tends to boost your losses (and usually kill your studio) when you spend years upon years developing a AAA title and never releasing it (FF VS XIII).
---
Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
#6DrNewcensteinPosted 3/28/2013 12:29:01 AM
It's not that they "lied", it's that they misrepresented the facts. They thought something with the Tomb Raider title would be a smash hit, despite the fact it was a total reinvention of a popular and familiar title. The risk of that should be understood by the investors. Another fact that investors should be well aware of is that investments do not always pay off in the short term. It's unrealistic to expect anything more than a modest profit for anything, in any economic climate.

The lesson to be learned here is "be realistic in your expectations".
---
Everyone has a price. And a pain threshold.
#7joegt123Posted 3/28/2013 4:53:59 AM
Wasn't hitman terrible? It's already 20 bucks on live.
---
"Nothin' to see here. Nope. Nobody special. Ignore the mick with the bomb."
Currently Playing: Too damn many things at the same bloody time... (25+)
#8DiScOrD tHe LuNaTiCPosted 3/28/2013 6:58:05 AM
DrNewcenstein posted...
Another fact that investors should be well aware of is that investments do not always pay off in the short term. It's unrealistic to expect anything more than a modest profit for anything, in any economic climate.

The lesson to be learned here is "be realistic in your expectations".

QFT.

Related; Bruce Campbell said that if they'd had to live or die on their original expectations of making back the first Evil Dead's budget, he would be "drinking Woolite on a downtown Detroit streetcorner." It took them 7 years to make a profit.
---
"It's not about money, it's about sending a message. Everything burns."
#9vespa5Posted 3/28/2013 9:02:45 AM
I just don't understand how Squeenix works sometimes as a publisher and/or a developer as well. Deus Ex Human Revolution, Tomb Raider, etc. were excellent games. Yet they banked on so much time and effort on those stupid Final Fantasy games (FFXIII and FFXIII-2, are you kidding me??) that I'm hoping the devs for Tomb Raider find a decent publisher to carry them (please, not EA, not EA!!!)
#10killered3Posted 3/28/2013 9:49:08 AM
vespa5 posted...
I just don't understand how Squeenix works sometimes as a publisher and/or a developer as well. Deus Ex Human Revolution, Tomb Raider, etc. were excellent games. Yet they banked on so much time and effort on those stupid Final Fantasy games (FFXIII and FFXIII-2, are you kidding me??) that I'm hoping the devs for Tomb Raider find a decent publisher to carry them (please, not EA, not EA!!!)

I disagree, it's not about a good publisher; it's the simple fact that the industry has MOVED ON! It's obvious that people are bored of Tomb Raider altogether. Even I didn't care much for it, I think playing 13 Tomb Raider games did that. Tomb Raider 1 Tomb Raider 2 Tomb Raider 3 Tomb Raider Last Revelation Tomb Raider Chronicles Tomb Raider Angel of Darkness Tomb Raider Gameboy Color Tomb Raider Curse of the Sword Tomb Raider the Prophecy Tomb Raider Legend Tomb Raider Anniversary Tomb Raider Underworld and now Tomb Raider 2013. -I've played all of them and I can honestly say I can live without the new one. It is not worth 65 bucks. Now Nathane Drake is Lara's successor, I accept it now.