A lesson to be learned from Square-Enix

#11ajbit19Posted 3/28/2013 1:55:56 PM
joegt123 posted...
Wasn't hitman terrible? It's already 20 bucks on live.

No.
---
Al Bundy married for your sins.
#12kal_el_87Posted 3/31/2013 11:56:51 AM
killered3 posted...
vespa5 posted...
I just don't understand how Squeenix works sometimes as a publisher and/or a developer as well. Deus Ex Human Revolution, Tomb Raider, etc. were excellent games. Yet they banked on so much time and effort on those stupid Final Fantasy games (FFXIII and FFXIII-2, are you kidding me??) that I'm hoping the devs for Tomb Raider find a decent publisher to carry them (please, not EA, not EA!!!)

I disagree, it's not about a good publisher; it's the simple fact that the industry has MOVED ON! It's obvious that people are bored of Tomb Raider altogether. Even I didn't care much for it, I think playing 13 Tomb Raider games did that. Tomb Raider 1 Tomb Raider 2 Tomb Raider 3 Tomb Raider Last Revelation Tomb Raider Chronicles Tomb Raider Angel of Darkness Tomb Raider Gameboy Color Tomb Raider Curse of the Sword Tomb Raider the Prophecy Tomb Raider Legend Tomb Raider Anniversary Tomb Raider Underworld and now Tomb Raider 2013. -I've played all of them and I can honestly say I can live without the new one. It is not worth 65 bucks. Now Nathane Drake is Lara's successor, I accept it now.

The fact that 3.4 million people have purchased the game tends to refute your claims. The game is, in my opinion, the best Tomb Raider ever, and the only game in the franchise I've been able to stand playing through from beginning to end. In one sitting, no less.

The problem really is unrealistic expectations about sales figures. Square Enix needed 5 million copies sold for this game to be a profitable venture, which is an absolutely ridiculous figure for this IP. The quality of this game is excellent, but the studio suffers because they spent way too much in its development and projected sales that simply weren't even close to appropriate. 3.4 million units sold should be a no-brainer success for just about any franchise; but expecting that you'll get 5 million in sales even within the first six months is hugely silly.
---
XBOX 360 GT: AfromanDeux
#13blackhrtPosted 3/31/2013 3:38:48 PM
Marketing/Sales are so out of touch (not just the gaming industry), I should just apply for that department so I can just tell people what they want to hear. Doesn't matter if its false or true.

Selling 3.5 million of anything is good. Mr. Wada left? Good. Word is he needed to go anyway. Bring in someone fresh that can look at the direction of the company from a different angle.

BTW, if someone wants to use the "long standing franchise" argument, are you still playing Mario games? Thats been around a long time too.
---
"I live my life 3 videogames at a time. Nothing else matters. Not the mortgage, not my clan and their BS. For those 3 games or less, I'm free."
#14Plant42Posted 3/31/2013 5:22:04 PM
killered3 posted...
vespa5 posted...
I just don't understand how Squeenix works sometimes as a publisher and/or a developer as well. Deus Ex Human Revolution, Tomb Raider, etc. were excellent games. Yet they banked on so much time and effort on those stupid Final Fantasy games (FFXIII and FFXIII-2, are you kidding me??) that I'm hoping the devs for Tomb Raider find a decent publisher to carry them (please, not EA, not EA!!!)

I disagree, it's not about a good publisher; it's the simple fact that the industry has MOVED ON! It's obvious that people are bored of Tomb Raider altogether. Even I didn't care much for it, I think playing 13 Tomb Raider games did that. Tomb Raider 1 Tomb Raider 2 Tomb Raider 3 Tomb Raider Last Revelation Tomb Raider Chronicles Tomb Raider Angel of Darkness Tomb Raider Gameboy Color Tomb Raider Curse of the Sword Tomb Raider the Prophecy Tomb Raider Legend Tomb Raider Anniversary Tomb Raider Underworld and now Tomb Raider 2013. -I've played all of them and I can honestly say I can live without the new one. It is not worth 65 bucks. Now Nathane Drake is Lara's successor, I accept it now.

Wtf did I just read?
#15SS_MetalSonicPosted 3/31/2013 6:26:06 PM
you just read nonsense.
---
PSWiiPC60DS - Deus Ex, Crysis, Sleeping Dogs, Black ops 2, Farcry 3
Forza 4, Rage, InFamous 2, Darksiders 2, Vanquish, NBA2K13, Halo 4, Skyrim, Tomb Raider
#16RONIN_Y0JIMBOPosted 3/31/2013 6:29:49 PM
Plant42 posted...
killered3 posted...
vespa5 posted...

Wtf did I just read?

Someone listing a resume to show qualifications and experience for putting their judgement on a game not only within the genre but within the same title. Despite the lack of punctuation, it is a pleasant surprise.
---
Gamertag- RONIN Y0JIMBO
Dragon's Dogma alt GTs: JosieBleak, PhantasyStarPSO
#17KakitaTatsumaruPosted 4/1/2013 2:26:44 PM
killered3 posted...
It is not worth 65 bucks. Now Nathane Drake is Lara's successor, I accept it now.

Minus the new Tomb Raider isn't that much like Uncharted (or even the old ones actually) or I could never have played it as I doesn't find any interest in *Bang! Bang!* games.
If I had to compare it to another game, I would personally says Resident Evil 4: slow fights (slow enough for non-shooter players to be able to aim headshots) in good numbers but which aren't 99% of the game, some exploration, some QTE and cinematic action phases, and some puzzles.
#18so_realPosted 4/3/2013 1:05:06 AM
It's a shame that CoD sales have become the new standard for success/failure. Not that they're going for that audience with this game, but I keep reading more and more about "failures" because they didn't achieve an unrealistic number in sales in such a short time frame.

Will gaming boil down to nothing but online FPS? Something needs to change. Otherwise gaming is going to plummet.
#19sneakysnakePosted 4/3/2013 4:44:48 PM
What's new about old men being greedy? 3.2 million sales and it's still NOT enough for them?