"We didn't make enough money off Tomb Raider" - Squenix

#1AyumiSqueezetoyPosted 3/26/2013 10:38:11 AM
and yet they choose to not sell costumes or single-player DLC, but continue to make MP DLC...

This really seems like an easy problem to fix...
---
The Reclamation is resting >_>
#2RubedoXTPosted 3/26/2013 11:19:56 AM
did they really say that? source?
---
We can waste time arguing, or we can get things done!
#3AyumiSqueezetoy(Topic Creator)Posted 3/26/2013 11:22:26 AM
http://www.gamespot.com/news/tomb-raider-fails-to-reach-sales-target-6405929?

i paraphrased, of course.
---
#4zinsindettaPosted 3/26/2013 11:42:18 AM
3.4 million was not enough?! Damn that is a bit much. I bet they thought they had some awesome multiplayer that would rival Call of Duty, lol.

And come on TC, costumes, really? Cosmetic DLC is the worst.
---
Gamertag/PSN - http://gamercards.exophase.com/31441.png
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/CareerStats/default.aspx?player=SinZinDetta
#5Cpt_of_IndustryPosted 3/26/2013 11:44:26 AM
Not to be a dick about this, but if they had continued to work on SINGLE PLAYER DLC more people would see this game is getting some attention.

Someone in the marketing department royally screwed up. Extremely high expectations, poor advertising, and very poor research.

Advertising this game until release then just dropping advertisements.

When you release a game these days with ZERO attention to it after it comes out, it tends to just get thrown under the bus.
---
The Jersey Guy
#6AyumiSqueezetoy(Topic Creator)Posted 3/26/2013 11:45:56 AM
zinsindetta posted...
3.4 million was not enough?! Damn that is a bit much. I bet they thought they had some awesome multiplayer that would rival Call of Duty, lol.

And come on TC, costumes, really? Cosmetic DLC is the worst.

it's enough to make money. it's not enough to make as much money as they wanted to make (hence my topic title).

And costume DLC may be the worst, but it's basically free money, and SE has done it in almost all their other games. If they want to cash-in, they should make things people would pay for in SP.
---
#7megametal42Posted 3/26/2013 1:00:30 PM
They sold almost 3.5m copies in about 3 weeks...does anyone know what they were expecting to sell in that time? Not every game sells like CoD (which I refuse to play/buy btw)
---
Xbox 360 Gamertag/Playstation Network - Dethmetal42
i5-2550 @3.4ghz | 16gb DDR3 1333mhz | AMD 6950 | 240gb ssd | Coolmaster Silent Pro 1200w
#8Cpt_of_IndustryPosted 3/26/2013 1:40:36 PM
3.5 million copies.

So they made, what? Like $150 million?

What is wrong with $150 million? How many years did this take to make? That's it. I'm auditing Squeenix.

Weee wooo weee wooo. This is the police.
---
The Jersey Guy
#9AyumiSqueezetoy(Topic Creator)Posted 3/26/2013 1:44:56 PM
Cpt_of_Industry posted...
3.5 million copies.

So they made, what? Like $150 million?

yeah, that's not a bad estimation. With advertisement and over 4 years since Underworld, tho, they probably spent close to $100 million on it. And yeah, $50 million seems like a good chunk of profit, but again, when it comes to stockholders, it's not just what you make, but what you're *expected* to make.

also, as a publisher, SE has games that make money, and lose money. if tomb raider makes $50 million, and everything else loses $100 million, they're still in the hole...
---
#10Cpt_of_IndustryPosted 3/26/2013 1:48:44 PM
Well if they're expecting Tomb Raider to patch every hole they have in their wallet, yeah, then nvm that's not going to work.

Again, these are poor accounting decisions. :/
---
The Jersey Guy