which game is better?

#11JamanjaxPosted 4/19/2013 10:30:00 AM
Flipsider99 posted...
Jamanjax posted...
Oh shut the **** up.

No, since you told me to shut up, I think I'll talk more. Thanks for asking.

Tomb Raider is simply not a very good game. As a shooter, it's okay, but not particularly challenging. At least it controls smoothely. But it's a very derivative game. You can't compare that to MGS:R which has a totally unique and innovative mechanic, which the entire game is designed around, which creates a fresh new experience.

If we want to talk about stories, both games have pretty bad writing. But personally I prefer MGS's more for being quirky and outrageous, at least it's interesting at times. Tomb Raider's story is a vapid attempt at mimicing vapid Hollywood movies. All the characters other than Lara are as shallow as Hell, and nothing happens in the game that isn't overwraught or predictable.

Regardless of opinions right now, I'm quite positive that MGS:R will be the historically more important game. In the future when games include more ways to dynamically damage an enemy, they'll look back on MGS:R as a stepping stone. No one will look back at Tomb Raider 13 as a stepping stone towards anything except mediocrity.

ITP: The very definition of a pretentious gamer.
---
He who has the blues, has a good thing.
#12Flipsider99Posted 4/19/2013 3:07:28 PM
Jamanjax posted...
ITP: The very definition of a pretentious gamer.

I guess your definition of "pretentious" is anyone who talks in complete sentences?
#13davegramsPosted 4/20/2013 4:00:39 AM
Tomb Raider, Period.

Even though we are just talking about single games,
The Metal Gear series will never live up to the Tomb Raider series in any way. MG is a spec of sand in the video game world, where TR is an entire sand castle.
---
Playing These Games Currently: Lego Lord Of The Rings, StarCraft II, WWE 13 and Tomb Raider (Pure Awesomeness)
#14NintendosuksPosted 4/20/2013 5:41:57 PM
Flipsider99 posted...
Jamanjax posted...
Oh shut the **** up.

No, since you told me to shut up, I think I'll talk more. Thanks for asking.

Tomb Raider is simply not a very good game. As a shooter, it's okay, but not particularly challenging. At least it controls smoothely. But it's a very derivative game. You can't compare that to MGS:R which has a totally unique and innovative mechanic, which the entire game is designed around, which creates a fresh new experience.

If we want to talk about stories, both games have pretty bad writing. But personally I prefer MGS's more for being quirky and outrageous, at least it's interesting at times. Tomb Raider's story is a vapid attempt at mimicing vapid Hollywood movies. All the characters other than Lara are as shallow as Hell, and nothing happens in the game that isn't overwraught or predictable.

Regardless of opinions right now, I'm quite positive that MGS:R will be the historically more important game. In the future when games include more ways to dynamically damage an enemy, they'll look back on MGS:R as a stepping stone. No one will look back at Tomb Raider 13 as a stepping stone towards anything except mediocrity.

It's all opinion. I played MGR and its a button mash fest that's nothing but repetitive with a whole big 4 hour campaign. It was fun for a while but it got old quick. Tomb raider is leagues above MGR. Story,gameplay,character development,level design,exoration ect..
---
Waiting on The Last Of Us
PSN:W8N387 GT:patriot basher
#15Flipsider99Posted 4/20/2013 9:51:36 PM
Nintendosuks posted...
It's all opinion.

That's true. And you're welcome to yours. Of course, the problem with questions like this is that it's a self selected sample. Since this is the Tomb Raider forum, it's only natural that most people here are going to answer with Tomb Raider. If the same question was asked in the MGS:R forum, naturally everyone there would say Metal Gear. Personally, I don't really understand people that think Tomb Raider is a more compelling game, but again you're entitled to your opinion.
#16replicantPosted 4/21/2013 1:12:59 AM
TR > MGS ... Hands down without a doubt.
---
Bear "replicant" Powell
"I am Shaolin-Style!"
#17NintendosuksPosted 4/21/2013 6:14:14 AM
Flipsider99 posted...
Nintendosuks posted...
It's all opinion.

That's true. And you're welcome to yours. Of course, the problem with questions like this is that it's a self selected sample. Since this is the Tomb Raider forum, it's only natural that most people here are going to answer with Tomb Raider. If the same question was asked in the MGS:R forum, naturally everyone there would say Metal Gear. Personally, I don't really understand people that think Tomb Raider is a more compelling game, but again you're entitled to your opinion.

I agree with you 100% on that but I think you can also assume that most people in the board play big AAA releases such as this and MGR. I have a collection of over 70 games I've put together for my ps3 and 360 since their respective releases. That's not very many games when you think about for 2 consoles over a period of 7-8 years.

I've played MGR and it got old quick because IMO it was very repetitive and the campaign was extremely short. I thought DmC smoked it. Again opinion I know. I think TC prolly asked the same question on both boards to see what people say and he prolly got the answeres you pointed out in your comment. The boards will be biased but personally I wouldn't be. If some one on this board asked " Which should I buy? TR or Skyrim?" I'm gonna say Skyrim regardless of what board it's asked on. I guess what I'm trying to say is your prolly 90% right but me personally I'm gonna give you the answer I think is best IMO regardless of the board.

We are talking about this on a TR board and I love what CD did with the series but it sure as hell isn't my favorite game lol.
---
#18NintendosuksPosted 4/21/2013 6:26:04 AM
Also I don't think anyone will be looking at MGR in 13 years talking about its combat. It's not that much different than DmC or Bayonetta. Tomb Raider will be looked at simply because of how drastic it was changed from it original formula. TR>>>Uncharted>>>TR again. These adventure games defined an era and borrowed heavily from each other an regardless if you like them or not they have done much more for their genre than MGR has done for the HnS genre. DmC already set the standard for that years ago. While I certainly love some of P* games ( vanquish rules) MGR hasn't done much that hasn't been done.
---
#19NintendosuksPosted 4/21/2013 6:28:55 AM
replicant posted...

MGS>>TR>>MGR...Hands down without a doubt.
---
#20xCloudyxPosted 4/21/2013 11:24:01 AM(edited)
Nintendosuks posted...
replicant posted...

MGS>>TR>>MGR...Hands down without a doubt.

This guy knows what he's talking about!
*Edit* Even his name knows what it's talking about!

This Tomb Raider game is awesome though. Fast travel and exploring with amazing graphics. The challenge thingies in each area are great.
---
(\ (O_O) /) Praise the sun!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0O1sH1N6n4